Evergrey's MMA

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
It gets a lot of flack from people on this forum.

I was listening to it again last week and I really really like the album. Now, it was the first full album I had heard by them. But since then I've listened to all of their albums. I can understand the complaints about the production, but I think the songs drive, the emotion is there, and there are solid hooks. As for having a more commercial sound... perhaps? I don't know. I'm not going to judge that. I hear a lot of people saying it, but I'm not feeling it.

So who else really likes the album? (those that have posted about 5 times on this forum that they don't like it, need not reply again =D)

Ditto... I like the album as well. It's not my favorite of theirs, but it's still a good Evergrey album.

I was not that much of a fan of MMA when it first came out, my wife still does not like it. But I listened to it non-stop for a while and grew to love it. It is no Recreation Day, but still a good album. having said that, I am hoping for a return to the heavier sound for the next record.

It was the 1st album by them that I had bought. I liked it a lot. Catchy heavy tunes. Bought the rest of theirs after that. I still listen to the last two the most.

While not a rabid Evergreyfanboy, or a hater, I really liked MMA. Not my favorite (ISotT), but I've never really found ANYTHING to bitch about regarding these guys. Their DVD also slays.....

I didn't like it at first, but warmed up to it some. Still, it's my least favorite of theirs, but it still made my top 20 list that year. In Search Of Truth is my favorite by a decent margin.

Britt

Love the album - I think the hooks & raw emotion can pull you in just as much as any "old school Evergrey darkness and progressiveness" can.

Still a big, heavy-sounding disc, even if it's not Mark of the Triangle Pt. 2 like some people want from them.

MMA was my first real introduction to Evergrey. I had heard clip of past stuff and did not get much from it. I have to say that I like MMA quite a bit. I have now dipped into the older catalog and am quite pleased with most of what I have heard. I only wonder if I had been a fan all along if I would ike MMA as much as I do? Lucky for me it did not happen this way as I enjoy very much.

I think MMA made them more "accessable" in terms of a more mainstream sound. But their back catalog is very good also. Different sounds, but nevertheless good to listen to. :headbang:

I agree. I have played MMA for my friends who thought the past cds were too hard (go figure) and they have ended up liking all the cds from Evergrey. The even though each cd is somewhat different it all comes together and makes Evergrey a great band. With a better marketing plan, Evergrey could farther.

I never understood the outright hatred than many seem to have for this album. I have it loaded on my iPod along with every other Evergrey album and none of the songs jump out to make me think, "wow, what a crappy Everygrey song." Most of them could easily appear on any Evergrey album w/out seeming out of place.

I don't hate MMA but I do feel it is a step down from the previous work. To me their best is ISOT and SDT, followed by Recreation Day then Inner Circle. I felt MMA lost alot of the ingredients that drew me to Evergrey in the first place.