EVH 5150 III Mini

seriously whats the point of these amps other then its cheaper... but i mean save up a little more for the real thing!
or unless your using this amp to jam with a jazz, folk or some other kind of band that doesn't need a lot of volume
somebody care to explain it? i never did understand the point of them.

It's all about tone. This thing is marketed and perceived by the public as being tonally 'the same' as the normal 5150 III, but half the price, size and power. They're working on the premise of high wattage tube amps really NEEDING to be cranked to get the best sound out of them. If you've been next to a Triple Rectifier or Thunderverb 200 at full volume, you'll know why this is almost never feasible outside properly conditioned studios. Less potent power sections mean we get that delicious saturation earlier, without having to subject everyone in a 30 mile radius to our music.

seriously whats the point of these amps other then its cheaper... but i mean save up a little more for the real thing!
or unless your using this amp to jam with a jazz, folk or some other kind of band that doesn't need a lot of volume
somebody care to explain it? i never did understand the point of them.

Huh?

The difference between 50 and 100w is not noticeable enough for you to ever hear it. It's not like you're going to turn either one up to 10. 50W is fucking LOUD. The relationship between volume and wattage is not linear, in order to double the volume, you need to multiply the wattage by 10. The difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db - Noticeable, but at the volume you'll have to crank them to notice the volume difference, negligible.

I want it because 100w is just that - Not needed. If it sounds close enough to the original, at half the price, this thing will be a steal!

Just curious, where'd you hear/read this dude?

For the direct source, you'd have to contact Jeff (Dunne). IIRC it's from the guy you see in the NAMM video showing it off that we've all seen from a while back, but I heard about it from Jeff.

So anyone got this yet? Any clips/recordings? Sorry if I missed any of the threads, I haven't been so present lately here.

I'm strongly considering this for my first "real amp".

So anyone got this yet? Any clips/recordings? Sorry if I missed any of the threads, I haven't been so present lately here.

I'm strongly considering this for my first "real amp".

My bandmate and fellow boardy ist getting one this week.
We've tested the 100W Version @Thomann and he ordered the 50W Version somewhere else.
Please PM me in the middle of next week, when I can tell you more.

Huh?

The difference between 50 and 100w is not noticeable enough for you to ever hear it. It's not like you're going to turn either one up to 10. 50W is fucking LOUD. The relationship between volume and wattage is not linear, in order to double the volume, you need to multiply the wattage by 10. The difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db - Noticeable, but at the volume you'll have to crank them to notice the volume difference, negligible.

I want it because 100w is just that - Not needed. If it sounds close enough to the original, at half the price, this thing will be a steal!

There are differences in terms of headroom within the power section. 100watt's stays cleaner at gig levels than a 50watt does.

I see on the official EVH page that the 50w head got 2 tubes less in the preamp as well as in the power section. Wouldn't that change the sound quite a bit?
There also is a massive increase in the input impedance without me knowing why...

I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpg

Also,
half the wattage is not the same as half the volume.
+1 very true...actually its a couple db's less, anyway it takes less master volume and you dont have to crank it, and you get that great saturated cranked amp tone at lower volumes ....i hope im right:err:

There are differences in terms of headroom within the power section. 100watt's stays cleaner at gig levels than a 50watt does.

Sure, but the post I had quoted was talking about volume. 100w has more headroom, yes, but it also means you don't have to turn it up as "loud" for it to sound good. 50w is still plenty of headroom for live use.

Sure, but the post I had quoted was talking about volume. 100w has more headroom, yes, but it also means you don't have to turn it up as "loud" for it to sound good. 50w is still plenty of headroom for live use.

In my experience lower wattage amps sound different.
The have less lows when they are dialled with the exact same volume.

it depends on the amp. I've played 50W amp which was so ballsy as old 100W 2ch DR and Signle recto sounded like tinny toy compared to both.

in my opinion this mini 5150III looks like nice choice for somebody who wants small, versatile amp capable of gigging without problems. if 50W aren't enough there is a problem somewhere else, not in the amp.

someone in the latest gas thread just got one. hope he will get some clips

think it was me.... yes it was...
the amp should be here within the next 3 days and i will do my best to post some tunes.
if you wanna have a reamp shot just gimme a PM.