• Peavey 6505

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • EVH 5150iii mini 50 watt

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

DeclanWhite

Oct 9, 2009
Australia
Ok, i have gas for the EVH, but im seeing VERY mixed opinions on them!

what's YOUR opinion? which is better? i know that's vague, but tell me your thoughts. :)

Ok, i have gas for the EVH, but im seeing VERY mixed opinions on them!

what's YOUR opinion? which is better? i know that's vague, but tell me your thoughts. :)

mixd opinions? where?

The EVH slays. Fredman is using it almost exclusively since they bought the big one a couple of years ago.

Im selling my 6505 to get a EVH mini :)

Both are great (I don't own the evh mini though, "only" the normal version) but at the moment I prefer the 5153. Can't go wrong with it for playing live either, the big 5153 is the fucking biggest amp I have ever seen, even worse with a case and it's a major pain in the ass everytime :S I think I'd trade the 5153 against the 5153 mini if someone wanted to :lol:

ive heard people on this forum say that the evh MINI slays the 6505/5150, and then ermz and a couple of others say the 6505/5150 slays the evh MINI.

Obviously it's the sort of thing you'd go to a store and try yourself, but i dont really have that option

while i'm sure the mini 5150 III sounds great in my personal experience i've never heard a 50 watt all tube head sound as big as a 120 watt all tube head. 50 watts is certainly loud enough to gig with. they just never seem to fill out the room quite as much as the bigger heads.

Some people were saying that the high gain channel on the EVH mini sounded more like the original 5150 than the big brother 5150 III and that the clean channel on the mini was at least as good, if not better than, the full sized 5150 III too.... That alone makes me want to get my hands on one to see for myself how all 3 compare. Might have to replace the 5150 or 5150 III with the mini if what people are saying is true...

+1
I'm really interested in this amp. Since the EQ is shared between the Lead and clean channel, I'm going to have to try it, and see if its usable for me.

The clean and crunch channels share the same eq.

I'm perfectly happy with my 5150 mini. I would say that it is slightly more up front sounding and not as saturated as a 5150. And it sounds damn good on low volumes, i.e. it works perfectly for home usage.

try them both out against one another and see how you feel about it, we can say A or B all day and it won't matter cus it falls to you and your tonal preferences mate

but i would def like to try the mini, i've tried the 100 watt head and loved it (not more than the 6505) but the ini with the resonance gives me more chances to tweak something heavy and see what i might think

Got mine a couple of weeks ago and finally had some time to put a mic on it. Bear with me though, this is the second time ever I mic a cab so I'm certainly not able to do the amp justice (yet...). :heh:

Chain: Esp NT7 (Emg 707) - TS9 - 5150 iii mini - Mesa Recitifer 2*12 - SM57 (Cap edge) - Focusrite Saffire pro 24 dsp - Cubase (Eq high pass - low pass).

Last edited by a moderator: