EVH 5150iii Preamp Out Question

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,
Just recently got a 5150iii and I was planning on using the preamp out with some cabinet impulses as the cab I have at the moment isn't very good.
Which input should I be running into on my interface? Line in or instrument in?
And which type of cable should I be using? Balanced TRS cable or just an instrument cable?

Hey guys,
Just recently got a 5150iii and I was planning on using the preamp out with some cabinet impulses as the cab I have at the moment isn't very good.
Which input should I be running into on my interface? Line in or instrument in?
And which type of cable should I be using? Balanced TRS cable or just an instrument cable?

Line in. instrument cable. And make sure your cab is still plugged in so you don't blow the thing up!

Yeah, I definitely always have my cab plugged in. I also have a dummy plug in the headphone out to (mostly) silence output anyway so that's no issue.

Any advantages to running out of the effects send instead of the preamp out Skaldir?

Yeah, I definitely always have my cab plugged in. I also have a dummy plug in the headphone out to (mostly) silence output anyway so that's no issue.

Any advantages to running out of the effects send instead of the preamp out Skaldir?

Try it. It only takes a minute.
Doesn't sound so flat as using the preamp out.

yeah i did effect send into my countryman and it turned out fine, though i dont think fx send works when you have the dummy headphone plugged in.

yeah i did effect send into my countryman and it turned out fine, though i dont think fx send works when you have the dummy headphone plugged in.

Oh right, well I haven't tried it yet, but if that's the case, it'll be a dealbreaker for me. So far though, the preamp out is working and sounding fine.

how exactly do you have the preamp out set up? for what ever reason the only thing i could get to work was the fx send. are you using the preamp out with headphone dummy in and its still working ok?

how exactly do you have the preamp out set up? for what ever reason the only thing i could get to work was the fx send. are you using the preamp out with headphone dummy in and its still working ok?

Yeah. Dummy plug into headphone jack, cabinet plugged in (it makes hardly any sound, just using it as a load) instrument cable from preamp out into instrument in on my interface bared the best results for me. Line in was quiet and noisy.

I'm a modern Picasso

yHsOn8j.png

A 1/4" headphone connector adapter seems simpler..

edit: didn't read post properly, a connector adapter is what I use in the 50watt headphone socket NOT in the 100watt fx return.