EVH preamp to interface?

Alphanumeric

Jul 12, 2013
UK
Hi guys, this is on a friends behalf,

he wants to use the preamp line out on his 5153 50watt, into the line in on an interface, into Pro Tools, and was just wanting to get if this is the way to go about it, and its all dandy?

I assume this will be all OK but I am just checking,

also with interfaces, the Roland Duo-Capture has a line in here (sorry for crude arrow top left haha)

5cw3vO4.jpg

I asume a simple TRS cable from the preamp line out of the EVH is the way to go?

Cheers. :headbang:

Make sure it is still plugged in to the cabinet. I am not sure about this particular model but it is usually unsafe for the amp to run alone without a cabinet

Make sure it is still plugged in to the cabinet. I am not sure about this particular model but it is usually unsafe for the amp to run alone without a cabinet

X 1,000

And always use your brain when connecting stuff.

Years ago, a buddy brought over his dads old reel-to-reel, and we were going to run out of our preamp out of our amps into the tape machine for some reason (we had no clue back then) and I wasn't even thinking when I was connecting my stuff and ended up running SPEAKER OUT of my amp into the line in of the machine. Fucked up that channel apparently. Stupid mistake and I find it usually happens when I'm engaged in conversation while connecting stuff is when it is prone to happen.

Connecting headphones shuts down the power section on this amp, so you can record the preamp out silently.
I do it with just a 'dummy' patch cable in the headphone jack. I also still have the speakers connected which is probably a good idea to be safe.. you can hear they still get a tiny bit of signal.

Connecting headphones shuts down the power section on this amp, so you can record the preamp out silently.
I do it with just a 'dummy' patch cable in the headphone jack. I also still have the speakers connected which is probably a good idea to be safe.. you can hear they still get a tiny bit of signal.

My Mesa Mark IV has the "Silent Recording" feature and yeah, same thing - a little bit of signal still bleeds through the speakers.

According to Howard Kaplan, the 5153 50watt IS safe to be run without a cabinet as long as no speaker cable is plugged into the head.

Can someone share a short clip of the evh preamp sound (without cabinet, impulses, etc), just for tone matching purposes?
Thanks