Evile 3/30 Firestone Live @ Orlando

I don't really want to get into a big debate over it or anything but...

...what exactly do you mean by that?

I think he is trying to say that Trivium are dwindling in popularity and need a fresh new band to boost their tour sales, am I right? If so, it's a view I don't agree with, but each to their own.

I personally would be over the moon with a Trivium/Evile tour.

I don't think Trivium are dwindling in popularity at all.

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for saying this, but I personally found Infected Nations similar to some of Trivium's work. There is a bit of similarity between Matt Drake and Matt Heafy's vocals, as many have pointed out. I don't think this is a bad thing, but I'm just making a point against the narrow minded anti-Trivium brigade who mainly seem to hate them for no reason other than it's the cool thing to do. Each to their own I guess.

I don't really want to get into a big debate over it or anything but...

Originally Posted by Slatanictrash
I think it's Trivium that needs Evile more than the other way around

...what exactly do you mean by that?

I am going back to near enough 26 years ago when W.A.S.P asked Slayer to be their support act and Slayer blew W.A.S.P of the stage every night and at the time Slayer were the next big thing and we all know what has happened, W.A.S.P faded into obsurity and Slayer gained momentum, I sense this is what is happening to Trivium, I don't hate Trivium because it's trendy to do so but as I said earlier, there is just something about them that I seriously can't put my finger on it but they just iritate the shit out of me

But looking at the inroads Evile have made compared to how Trivium got on, Trivium exploded onto the scene by selling loads of records which is just a typical American thing to do nowadays whereas Evile have built up a fanbase through word of mouth, because lets face it, we all know these guys have an exceptional talent and it's getting them recognition that they deserve and as we are hearing just now, America are loving them, the critics are impressed by them but again with Trivium, it's 50/50 love/hate

That is what I mean

I understand where you're coming from, but no offence... Evile aren't the next big thing. They will never be the next big thing, because unlike the days you're talking about proper metal isn't as popular as it once was.

I know this doesn't accurately reflect ticket sales but lets compare the two band's last.fms

Evile: 33,841 listeners, 504,889 plays
Trivium: 458,922 listeners, 17,726,952 plays

It's pretty clear who has the bigger fan base... that's why I think Evile would be the band befitting most from the tour (by gaining new fans). Though admittedly it would be good for Trivium to tour with a band like Evile because it would give them a kick up the arse. In my opinion mainstream metal at the moment is ruled by two bands. Trivium, and Mastodon, nobody else comes close.

I am going back to near enough 26 years ago when W.A.S.P asked Slayer to be their support act and Slayer blew W.A.S.P of the stage every night and at the time Slayer were the next big thing and we all know what has happened, W.A.S.P faded into obsurity and Slayer gained momentum, I sense this is what is happening to Trivium

So you're saying Trivium NEED Evile to make themselves look bad? :confused:

I understand where you're coming from, but no offence... Evile aren't the next big thing. They will never be the next big thing, because unlike the days you're talking about proper metal isn't as popular as it once was.

I know this doesn't accurately reflect ticket sales but lets compare the two band's last.fms

Evile: 33,841 listeners, 504,889 plays
Trivium: 458,922 listeners, 17,726,952 plays

It's pretty clear who has the bigger fan base... that's why I think Evile would be the band befitting most from the tour (by gaining new fans). Though admittedly it would be good for Trivium to tour with a band like Evile because it would give them a kick up the arse. In my opinion mainstream metal at the moment is ruled by two bands. Trivium, and Mastodon, nobody else comes close.

None taken however I did Lol'd at you thinking at me thinking that Evile are the next big thing, I do have a sense of perspective you know, but as you acknowledged the point I was making, you did understand what I was saying

This stats you produced was interesting to say in the least but this also highlights the difference again in what I was saying

Trivium had a major company advertising this band and this is what gave this band exposure, no bad thing to a point, but would people be liking this band if they took the same road as Evile? I'll bet nobody would the least bit interested as I, again my own personal opinion, don't think Trivium are that talented a band.

Someone made mention of how Matt's vocals sounded similar to Matt's Healy vocals, this made me smile as weren't Trivium supposed to be a Metallica rip off according to the media? We all know Evile are influenced by Metallica as well, so that point about the vocalists sounding similar doesn't really have any bearing to what this discussion is all about, again my own personal opinion

Someone made mention of how Matt's vocals sounded similar to Matt's Healy vocals, this made me smile as weren't Trivium supposed to be a Metallica rip off according to the media? We all know Evile are influenced by Metallica as well, so that point about the vocalists sounding similar doesn't really have any bearing to what this discussion is all about, again my own personal opinion

My point was that a lot of people absoloutely hate Trivium not because of the music, but because they are Trivium. For instance, a lot of people say Matt Heafy's vocals suck, although they love Matt Drake's vocals, even though many people have argued that they are similar.

Well you said "I think it's Trivium that needs Evile more than the other way around", and then you went on to justify your comment by saying that Evile are going to do to Trivium what Slayer did to WASP.

Exactly, I fail to see why you struggle with that

I will even go one step further if I may, I could also say that Trivium needs Evile so they can be acknowledged as a musical band in their own right and not manufactured by a record company which they clearly were from their albums sales on their debut

:heh:

I could also say that Trivium needs Evile so they can be acknowledged as a musical band in their own right and not manufactured by a record company which they clearly were from their albums sales on their debut

You might want to do some research before this claim. Trivium got lucky. They are tallented and lovely brokes. Probably got a lot in common with Evile on a personal level too. So this tour would be nice for both bands.

(I'm not a Trivium fan but it'd still be a good idea)

You might want to do some research before this claim. Trivium got lucky. They are tallented and lovely brokes. Probably got a lot in common with Evile on a personal level too. So this tour would be nice for both bands.

(I'm not a Trivium fan but it'd still be a good idea)

Thank you, it's just another way of saying "Yeah I see slightly where you are going with the comment of Trivium needs Evile so they can be acknowledged as a musical band in their own right and not manufactured by a record company"

I am not saying it wouldn't make for a good tour, far from it and at no point did I express that sentiment, I have no doubt that they are nice lads, but I am expressing my own opinion that if Trivium did tour with Evile, I feel that it would be Trivium that needs it more than Evile for the regconition that it would deliver for them as artists

No it isnt. Evile got lucky too.... Trivium don't need Evile to be acknowledged as a musical band. Trivium have made their mark. Taking Evile out wont make it any stronger. It'd just be an interesting tour.

I respect your opinion and I hope you can rspect mine

It looks like we will have to agree to disagree or whateer way it goes lol

If the person taping this is who I think, then I was like 3 feet behind the camera. :lol:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on a second Slaytantic (I'm going to disagree with you. I'm not a massive Trivium fan, but as far as you're concerned I'm a fucking Trivium historian haha), you think Trivium need to tour with Evile so they can be acknowledged as a musical band? Acknowledged by who exactly? I mean, you are aware Kirk Hammett once went on stage wearing a Trivium shirt, right? Also, you are aware Ol Drake would probably be the first person to tell you that the two guitarists in Trivium are actually superb? You don't need me to tell you how many fans and how many records they've sold worldwide. Surely that's the sort of acknowledgement you're referring to?

Also, "they clearly were from their albums sales on their debut" ... Their debut being Ascendancy? Released on the major label Roadrunner, right? Wrong. Their debut album was released on small German label Lifeforce, when Heafy was 17 years old and probably sold around the same as Enter The Grave. If not less!

My point? Yeah, Trivium got lucky when they were signed, but as Covet said Evile got lucky too. It's wrong of people to think Trivium are some manufactured band by Roadrunner, because that's simply not the case.