Evile Announce Album Title, Artwork and Release Date

Does that include that particular piece of advice? :p

I've never been an advocate of 'reviews are gospel' as it is. The fact that people have taken MY reviews as such is a rather depressing thought, since I spend most of my writing time pointing out everything that's wrong with an album before ending it with a full summary of whether or not I think that it's worth anyone's time/money. Hell, for a while a lot of UK thrash bands seemed to take a good review on my part as a genuine 'stam of approval' which was fucking terrifying. I guess it's something that a lot of people seem to subconsciously adhere to sometimes, if a game, film or album gets a shitty review then they'll abide by it... I know so many people who'll counteract any negative opinion with "BUT IT GOT 4/5 STARS IN KNOBMUNCHERS WEEKLY". True, but that doesn't mean it's actually good or that everyone will like it. I remember reading reviews for a PSone game called 'Dragon Valor' that essentially called it crap, but I bought it and found it to be one of the most satisfying titles I owned. Same goes for anything I guess. But it's when people blindly follow it that it starts to get on my balls.

Again, with Lord McIver I just always found his opinions to actually hold a modicum of truth to them hence why I usually make an exception to the rule with him (bar the last Cavalera Conspiracy album, really butted heads with him on that). So such a bold statement befuddled me somewhat, mostly because I was tired and partially because I'm a fucking idiot haha. I've never apologised for writing something in a review though, which is something that REALLY fucks me off when people get a backlash for saying an album is worse or better than many people think it is. A review is naught more than a writeup of an individual's observations of the product - INDIVIDUAL. Again, nobody should take one person's view as absolute law, but it happens all too often and I think that it's a problem. In fact, I'd actually wager that a great many thrash fans wouldn't think so much of a lot of albums now considered 'classics' if the media hadn't harped on about them so much... that's just my two cents. Call it a hunch, call it 'Dave being a bellend', whatever haha. The other issue that comes from all of this is St. Anger syndrome, or A Matter of Life and Death syndrome as some call it, where an album will be hailed as a colossal shiny album of sexy titty-flashing glory in the media, yet pretty much everyone else on earth really, really hates it. Lines start to blur, other factors come in, everyone gets stuffed into a cardboard box and shipped off to Mexico. Then years later, the magazine/website etc. that gave the album a glowing review ten years ago will write up an article in which they call said album a pile of garbage... eh? What? Peer pressure much? If I ever do that (and I've done it ONCE with Soulfly's "Omen") then I can at least have the decency to go "Yeah, I didn't like it, but it's grown on me. Hands up, I jumped the gun a bit". The very east the media can do is that, at least say something like "Yeah, we were just blind fanboys for Metallica (or whatever band it was) so we gave it a good review without actually listening to the fucking thing" instead of just shoving that decade old review under the rug and pretending it's not there like some stale chicken that you're feeling to lazy to throw into the bin.

...Sorry, I kind of went off topic there. But yeah, you are correct Mr. Drake in that taking another person's opinion to heart isn't really a very good idea. A momentary lapse of brain cells on my part that I hereby retract and dip in a vat of boiling oil. Judgment reserved, can't wait for the album, etc. etc.

tl;dr - I'm a dick, reviews are NOT gospel, bacon.

I get what you're saying mr thrasher dave. It's always nice to hear someones opinion that agreees with your own, it's a justification in a way. But again, i've never tried to let that mess with my own thoughts and feelings on things. There is no right or wrong.

I will admit though it's pretty awesome that Joel McIver likes it that much to say that, makes me feel quite proud that someone feels that way about something we've done. But at the same time i have to take that as seriously as the people who will inevitably say it's the worst album they've ever heard. Either of those two viewpoints will not change my personal feelings on how i view it.

also, ELYSIUM looks great.

Matt, is there a possibility "A Sinister Call" will be released through iTunes as an ALAC (Apple Lossless) file or is that up to the label to decide? I've already pre-ordered "Skull" but I'm a bit of a completist, and just curious as to what you might know.

Since my copies of Skull will be here super late because I live in the US, I'll probably download the iTunes version day of release. This is saying alot because I loathe iTunes.

You are the only band I do this for, you know that right? :lol:

Since my copies of Skull will be here super late because I live in the US, I'll probably download the iTunes version day of release. This is saying alot because I loathe iTunes.

You are the only band I do this for, you know that right? :lol:

I would do the same, except I FUCKING loathe iTunes...so I'll just go in and buy the CD on the day haha!

I agree Podgie!

Me, Kaspr, Dave, Snyde, you (Podgie) , Thatguy, Thatonedude.....

Is that everyone? :lol:

I actually did get the "Get your name in the booklet" order! I got it right on the 10th (I'll definitely be scanning the page and putting it on here when it comes out.) Ordered it with the vinyl, since I already pre-ordered it a few days before with the CD/Shirt combo.

I thought that the two track CD thing would be more bonus tracks, but it's just Alternate solo mixes to Words Of The Dead and Outsider, but i'm sure it'll be just as awesome.
Also, when they put up the link to pre-order the download only version it came with different previews, so I put them in video form to save time

I'm REALLY excited about Words of The dead, Skull, What You Become and Tomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Joel told me that I was on the liner notes for FST?

Cracked open my copy of FST to take a look
tumblr_ml7rbgsfrs1qcxd4qo1_500.png

Your name is there under the "From Evile and on behalf of Mike's family and Friends" section, but so is Benediction so I don't know.

Also, another thing on the track lengths, if the bonus track "A Sinister Call" ends up being at least 5 something minutes long then Skull will be just as long as FST.

Do no slander Ingram Senior, for he shall eat your soul! Also, I'd be surprised if it was him considering the fact that he hasn't been in the band since 1998. But yeah, that's neat I guess.