Evile Announce Album Title, Artwork and Release Date

We haven't seen the song times but maybe it's a shorter album, maybe it's less than 50mins this time? Or the vinyl is simply pressed on a faster speed, I don't know!

I'm guessing it's going to sound massive though.

If it was a faster speed, that would mean there would be less room on the disc.

We'll find out though.

If it's shorter, that's another plus point. One of Evile's only major problems is that a lot of tracks are just too long. Thrash should be relatively short (3mins max) with a handful of longer songs thrown in for good measure, always thought Evile kinda dropped the ball on that one despite the fact that their songs never really needed to be short. It's a weird relationship haha

Earache did manage to squeeze Vektor's Outer Isolation onto 1 LP.

With that said, when it got near the center the sound quality nose dived.

I'm waiting for the redux edition- oh wait... :lol:

We haven't seen the song times but maybe it's a shorter album, maybe it's less than 50mins this time? Or the vinyl is simply pressed on a faster speed, I don't know!

I'm guessing it's going to sound massive though.

Still waiting on that FST redux :lol:

The Earache Instagram posted the track lengths actually, here I'll post it.
tumblr_mjv5vgG2zK1qzcx1po1_1280.jpg

I'm just confused because there's 11 tracks in the picture (The Instagram said this was the new album, so I'm not speculating on a random picture) and when you add this up it's 45 minutes and 57 seconds long. Does that mean the first 9 are the regular album and the other two are that bonus cd tracks? And where is the 12th track that's the bonus iTunes track?

Bar what I'm assuming is an intro track, there isn't a single one under 3:30. Goes back to the short-snappy attraction that thrash requires, and four songs breaching six minutes is a tad excessive in my opinion. That said, Evile have done that on practically every single album and it hasn't done a great deal to stifle them yet, so more power to them. But the lack of shorter songs is always very, very offputting for me with bands.

Again, judgment is reserved for release. But that's somewhat of a grey mark, not really being particularly for or against it given the reasons I just stated, though I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about four six minute+ tracks.

Bar what I'm assuming is an intro track, there isn't a single one under 3:30. Goes back to the short-snappy attraction that thrash requires, and four songs breaching six minutes is a tad excessive in my opinion. That said, Evile have done that on practically every single album and it hasn't done a great deal to stifle them yet, so more power to them. But the lack of shorter songs is always very, very offputting for me with bands.

Again, judgment is reserved for release. But that's somewhat of a grey mark, not really being particularly for or against it given the reasons I just stated, though I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about four six minute+ tracks.

Well, Evile hasn't put out a track under 3:30 since ETG so I think it'll work fine. Plus, I've always been a fan of their longer tracks.

That's my point really. Despite the fact that it's worked for them in the past, I'm always skeptical until proven otherwise when it comes to long songs... Exodus' last album has made that skepticism explode, since they had a 15 track album that may as well have been a fucking boxset anthology considering how unbearably long and needlessly padded out it was. It's something I'm always very, VERY wary about. If you're going to have a six or seven minute long song, it needs to be justified - filling seven minutes with the same riffs for the sake of longevity is boring, unimaginative and dare I say it, fucking pathetic. Once again, Evile have done this with every album so I'm in no way implying that they've lost steam (I can't comment, haven't heard it yet) but that niggling worry is always in the back of your head. How do I know that I won't pick it up and it'll be dross as shit? That's the fun part if anything haha. I'm not just having a go for the sake of it, contrary to popular belief.

tl;dr - I know Evile have made all of their albums have rather long songs in the past and made those songs work, but I'm putting forward the possibility that it's not ALWAYS going to work.

45 minutes is the sweet spot for me, with any album, regardless of genre. So, I'm pretty happy about it. About the 6+ minute tracks, they're usually hit or miss... I don't think anyone complains about We Who Are About to Die being 7:43, Genocide on the other hand...

BTW Dave, My Parasite is 4:17 and it feels like someone repeatedly punching you in the face as fast as they can. So, as you said, the 3:30 limit thingly doesn't seem to really apply to Evile. ;)

PS: Fuck Exodus. The Atrocity Exhibition was the most appropriate album name ever.

Well, neither of the last two which I'm assuming are on the bonus disc is the cover of "Drowned" by Entombed as I had previously thought, given that track's a little over 4 minutes long. Perhaps Matt or Ol can clue us in??? Since the tracklisting for Skull itself is now common knowledge, figure it wouldn't hurt to at least ask!

I'm actually a big fan of Exhibit B because it succeeded where the Atrocity Exhibition came up just short to me. Yeah, it's a monster of an album in runtime, songlength, and so forth but not single second of that feels wasted. So many killer riffs which neither say too long or get cut short. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter if an album's 25 minutes or 78 when it's executed properly. Then again, I also think Exodus has had not only one of the best comebacks in their genre but that they've been outdoing most if not all of their longtime peers since then so the more Holt riffage the better.

Each to their own. I found Exhibit B to be one of the worst albums in the last decade, not a single good thing to say about it - it was just a continuous droning background noise for me. Some people are fine with it, but I for one didn't find any justification for such drastic lengths when there was so little going on that actually meant anything. Exhibit A on the other hand, despite having some crap on it, had some fantastic songs - Iconoclast immediately comes to mind - and consisted of only seven tracks. And was a far better album for it, because it didn't drag on needlessly (for the most part anyway). Again, each to their own but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't criticise the points that needed to be made clear for those who don't like that shit. Whatever 'that shit' may be.

Again, NOT just slagging off Evile here. Feel like I need to keep saying that in case anyone gets all pissed off and takes everything I'm trying to say out of context like they usually do. But I do have some reservations over those track lengths, I'm just hoping that the final product will be able to justify it - I think that the fact that they've reverted back to the sound embraced on their debut a bit more has made my concerns a bit more pronounced this time, simply because that sound doesn't tend to work so well with such lengths. But again, "We Who Are About to Die" was over seven minutes and that was made to work, so once again, judgment is saved for the final product.

So many pre-order options!! Went with the red vinyl and name-in-the-credit CD.

judgment is saved for the final product.

This is all it comes down to really. Those 6+ minute songs might knock your socks off or put you to sleep; we won't know for another month and a half. Best to not think about expectations I think.

With regards to track lengths, yes in the past we have probably gone too far but WE LOVE RIFFS TOO MUCH haha. Honestly though, genocide was mentioned, that song had no changes, it just droned on and on and we realise that, we've made the same mistake with a small number of songs and we've really learned from it.

With the new one there's so many riffs and changes that if a song is long it's because it really needed to be, there aren't many places where we have repeated ourselves in a song (except the obvious verse/chorus - wouldnt be a chorus if you did it once) and we made a conscious effort to trim out things we didnt feel the album needed.

i think the album length comes to around 49 and a half mins, we aimed for 45 minutes this time as 45 mins feels like a right metal album length to me, not too long or short, but we ran over slightly because RIFFS. Maybe the next one will be a 35 minute full on balls out speedathon, who knows? we'll see what we feel like writing.....

Regardless of what reservations you have i think you'll be surprised by what you get with this album, that 11 minute teaser was done without consulting with the band so it's just random bits thrown together with no thought to what we think you SHOULD hear for a teaser.

Only a month and a half to go, i think you're in for a good time!

Can't wait to hear it Matt!

I'm also glad to see that I wasn't the only one who got the "Name in the credits" version, Kaspr!