Exchange my new FireStudio?

Only D/A, not A/D?

Apparently both are slightly worse, but the D/A moreso? This is what Dave told me...

daveotero said:
The general feeling I get is that the Pres might be a little better, but the conversion is worse. I think this has more to do with shitty power supply design then the conversion it self. The D/A is a lot worst than the firepod for sure. In fact, that's killing me right now and I'm trying to find a solution without dropping tons of cash on an Apogee or Lynx unit.

On top of that the driver are a bit shoddy as well, for PC anyways. However, latency is better than the firepod.

Right now it's working for me but I'd have a hard time giving it a full recommendation.

I also just checked out the Saffire, so I'd be interested to hear a review of it. I can say that I'd rather have the line inputs on back and the XLR's on the front, but I'd love to hear how it compares to a Firepod.

Elephant, how do you like the MOTU? I rarely hear anything about them anymore...

The MOTU is great. I like the pres and the conversion is fine. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either!

I have yet to have a single problem with it, the only thing I *will* ever say that disappoints me is the output situation. If you are looking into reamping at all, don't get an 8Pre. It just doesn't have the right outputs. This is the main reason I wanted a Saffire, the reamping capabilities and also the 16 channels of ADAT hookup.

At first I was going to sell my MOTU once I got the Saffire, but I've decided to keep it, that way I will have 16 good pres, and then my Behringer will bring in another 8 pres for triggers. And I can have the MOTU and Behringer running into the Saffire via ADAT.

When I returned the FireStudio the other day, I must admit that it would be nice to have the XLR connections on the front, but then again, that isn't what is important. Conversion, pre quality, and options should be the only thing that matters. The 8Pre has the XLR connections in the back as well and, honestly, it hasn't really bothered me at all in the several months that I have owned it.

~e.a

I would stick with the firepod unless you need the adat i/o ( which is cool)..

Firepods are rock stable and the drivers are mature...

heck instead of buying the Firestudio just buy another used firepod and chain it for 16 pres!

The interface that looks sick on paper is the new TC electronic...but supposedly there earlier interface drivers are awful... too bad

check out this bad boy

http://www.tcelectronic.com/studioKonnekt48.asp

Oh, I'm well aware of the RME stuff. In fact, eventually I want a FF800 based rig. But until then, I'm trying to keep it on the cheap side, basically to make bands pay for my gear :)

~e.a

Nothing, really. It's just the RME is superior in many ways, especially where it counts: in the converters. But from what I've read as reviews, and talking to people that own a Saffire and I trust their opinions, the Saffire Pro seems to be the *very* best deal on an interface in it's price range.

~e.a

Dave Otero gave me a rundown of how he liked his compared to his FirePods, as I was looking at getting a FireStudio to replace my FirePod. He said the D/A conversion was a step down from the Pod, which was already pretty bad to begin with IMO.

+1

But you get what you pay for :)

I would like to comment on this as I was talking to Shane (kazrog) the other day on AIM about some things and this kind of thing came up. These days with so many companies competing for the same #1 spot in so many avenues of recording equipment, the prices have been more competitive than ever. The trend now is to make it as cheap as possible, but still be a quality product.

For example, I've worked with $4k/pair Genelecs, and I've worked with $1200/pair 824s, and $500/pair KRKs and Events. I definitely liked the 824s and Genelecs, but nothing about them justified, to me, their steep price over the KRKs or Events. All of the monitors were great, and honestly the Events and KRKs had a more clear sound. The M-Audio BX8As that I A/B'ed against some other monitors a few days ago took the gold *easily*. They had a much clearer overall sound, and didn't sound *nearly* as hyped as the others (Event TR8xl, Yamaha HS80, Mackie 824) that I was considering. The fact that they were made by M-Audio, a company that I would never suspect a quality pair of monitors to come from, or their price did not concern me. What did was that they sounded the best out of the bunch, to me, and that was really what mattered.

With interfaces, the Saffire is a really great bang for your buck unit. The converters are great, the pres are great, the i/o is great...for a price that is just too good to be true. While RME does have superior converters, that is something that is their trademark after all, you also have to pay for not only superior converters but their tenure in the business. With audio gear it seems another trend is that the longer a company has been around, the more you are going to pay for their products. Focusrite has been around a loooooong time as well, but they are playing the bargain game.

Most of the time "you get what you pay for" is such a vague line, almost nonexistent when it comes to hardware.

~e.a