Existential Crisis

cryosteel

Jun 29, 2006
We no longer feel sure about our identity: whom we are, where we are going, what our goals/ideals are. The answer to this question today is no longer a challenge, but a simple reply: we have no identity. We're soulless consumers, upholding fancy slogans such as "compassion," "freedom," and "progress," yet we all deep down inside know something's not quite right.

Read more

Then the cycle evidently continues.

In my honest assessment that article mistakes cliche and unoriginality for clarity and perspicaciousness. I found nothing that I haven't heard many times before.

I thought the article dwells too strongly on the negative, without any real mention of what constitutes a 'purposeful' alternative, and why it does so. People only act in the way described because they view it as their best option. Given an 'empty' life, and a choice between having and not having, people choose to have. Telling them they are wrong for that choice seems a little beside the point, to me.

Its quite simplistic and journalistic. I would however, chuckle at such bombast if it was printed in the local paper.

Its quite simplistic and journalistic. I would however, chuckle at such bombast if it was printed in the local paper.

This is a good point. Like others here I had the, "I've heard this all before" reaction, though I cannot say I necessarily disagree with any of it either. Now that you mention the newspaper scenario though, perhaps we are too quick to forget that most "mainstream" folks would indeed find such a screed most astonishing, if not completely offensive...and maybe that's genuinely the salient point. Here it is more or less preaching to the proverbial choir - but if presented to the masses, it may be something else altogether!

This is a good point. Like others here I had the, "I've heard this all before" reaction, though I cannot say I necessarily disagree with any of it either. Now that you mention the newspaper scenario though, perhaps we are too quick to forget that most "mainstream" folks would indeed find such a screed most astonishing, if not completely offensive...and maybe that's genuinely the salient point. Here it is more or less preaching to the proverbial choir - but if presented to the masses, it may be something else altogether!

Yes the article is clearly supposed to introduce the subject to people who are new to the idea.

We're a choir of despair! Euripides would have had plentiful fodder for a gloriously pessimistic chorus, wouldnt he?

I dont know of any U.S. paper that would print such an article. Especially since all but the tinier local papers are owned by just a few corporate conglomerates. The Guardian continually has decent anti-capitalist establishment editorials, and Im sure Le Monde and other French papers do.

We no longer feel sure about our identity: whom we are, where we are going, what our goals/ideals are. The answer to this question today is no longer a challenge, but a simple reply: we have no identity. We're soulless consumers, upholding fancy slogans such as "compassion," "freedom," and "progress," yet we all deep down inside know something's not quite right.

Read more

Yes I have read this earlier. North American culture is bound to be rather shallow for its shallow history and lack of any "real" culture. Firstly, because it is comprised from everyone from everywhere therefore lacking consensus and any direction. Sadly, there can be no consensus even if one would to attempt with the exception of forming some tightly knit subculture. Secondly, money and a bland, gray consumer culture is the only thing that can make up for unity. Therefore, people define themselves by what they buy. The following points are some of the main points of Corrupt and Anus, which I say I can understand what they're trying to argue.

By the way, are you Alex Birch?

We're a choir of despair! Euripides would have had plentiful fodder for a gloriously pessimistic chorus, wouldnt he?

I dont know of any U.S. paper that would print such an article. Especially since all but the tinier local papers are owned by just a few corporate conglomerates. The Guardian continually has decent anti-capitalist establishment editorials, and Im sure Le Monde and other French papers do.

The Choir of Despair indeed!:heh:

"When fierce conflicting passions urge
the breast where love is wont to glow,
What mind can stem the stormy surge
which rolls the tide of human woe?"
-Euripides-

Secondly, money and a bland, gray consumer culture is the only thing that can make up for unity. Therefore, people define themselves by what they buy.

How are we united with respect to money? The nation-state is only one level of association. What about sporting groups? Social associations? Friends and families? What's the difference between hiding behind social gatherings (as the author argues) and national identity? I might have agreed that we have an 'existential crisis' (whatever that may be) but nothing in this thread has convinced me it is so.

birch said:
Because the identity of the modern man is equal to his material lifestyle. We don't speak about actual _culture_ anymore, but of which car you drive, which computer you've got, how many pop songs you know that are "in" - I ask, is that freedom?

You tell me. What is your definition of freedom? If it's the absence of legal or factual restraints, I see nothing in this to prevent the modern man to rejecting a material lifestyle.

How are we united with respect to money? The nation-state is only one level of association. What about sporting groups? Social associations? Friends and families? What's the difference between hiding behind social gatherings (as the author argues) and national identity? I might have agreed that we have an 'existential crisis' (whatever that may be) but nothing in this thread has convinced me it is so.

I mean we are united in the sense that its the main thing that we have to pursue to keep society going. Look at how the US$ runs the market and how we are becoming one big global village. Look how easy it is now to cross boarders to get jobs, buy products/services and communicate. I think what the author meant by "hiding" behind social gathering is that some may go to subcultures to ward off those unpleasant feelings that they are being alienated from the mainstream.

Rather than being a set of radical ideas,
I fear anti-consumerism has become more of a trend many boast about and pretend to follow,
so that they may appear to be wise and enlightened.
All talk, no walk.

I think consumerism is bound to happen,
when one is born into a world which effortlessly supplies you with everything you need.

Games tend to be alot more interesting when you start from scratch...