Exodus, Overkill, or Testament?

Which thrash band is the best?

• Total voters

IWP

80s freak
Apr 30, 2006
Philly
Out of these three thrash bands, I chose Exodus, because Bonded By Blood - Fabulous Disaster are three of the best thrash albums of all time, in my opinion, and The Toxic Waltz, Verbal Razors, Bonded By Blood, Exodus, and A Lesson In Violence are all awesome thrash songs that kick ass!

Overkill is a close second, because of their debut, Years Of Decay, and even the underrated Under The Influence.

I specfically chose these three, because they're the three most popular thrash bands that did not quite make the big four of thrash, even though, in my opinion, they're all better than those bands with the exception of Anthrax and Megadeth.

Out of these three thrash bands, I chose Exodus, because Bonded By Blood - Fabulous Disaster are three of the best thrash albums of all time, in my opinion, and The Toxic Waltz, Verbal Razors, Bonded By Blood, Exodus, and A Lesson In Violence are all awesome thrash songs that kick ass!
Isn't that two albums and not three?

Overkill is a close second, because of their debut, Years Of Decay, and even the underrated Under The Influence.
Power in Black is their debut in 1984. Years of Decay didn't come out till 1989.Years of Decay is like their 7th release.

I specfically chose these three, because they're the three most popular thrash bands that did not quite make the big four of thrash, even though, in my opinion, they're all better than those bands with the exception of Anthrax and Megadeth.

I guess but there was also Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich etc. who imo were just as big or about to get just as big before thrash died in late 80's and early 90's.

But anyways I voted for Testament and then followed by Exodus.

Isn't that two albums and not three?

"-" means that their second album, Pleasures Of The Flesh, was included. If that makes sense.

Power in Black is their debut in 1984. Years of Decay didn't come out till 1989.Years of Decay is like their 7th release.

I meant their debut album. I don't really count EPS and demos.

I guess but there was also Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich etc. who imo were just as big or about to get just as big before thrash died in late 80's and early 90's..

I think thrash's peak popularity-wise came in 88-90. Popularity-wise, it died with glam in 92 when groove metal and grunge took over. Though, neither genre really "died", they just became underground.

"-" means that their second album, Pleasures Of The Flesh, was included. If that makes sense.
Next time spell all three albums.. were old men in this forum and don't catch these things :lol:

I meant their debut album. I don't really count EPS and demos.
Then their first full length debut album is Feel The Fire in 1985 on Megaforce Records. Still not Years of Decay in 1989. Years was their most popular album but definetly not their debut. And EP's really are debuts because it's the first songs you hear of the bands that won't be repeated on later material.

I think thrash's peak popularity-wise came in 88-90. Popularity-wise, it died with glam in 92 when groove metal and grunge took over. Though, neither genre really "died", they just became underground.
That's debatable. I was going to thrash shows in that time period. Most would say it peaked at 1986 when Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Reign in Blood and Among the Living came out. That is when the underground Thrash bands got noticed on a national & international scale.

I dig 'em all, but Testament reigns supreme.

Older Exodus albums, even back then, had a fair amount of cheese going on in terms of lyrics and especially the vocal delivery. I still cringe at the end of Impact is Immenent where he's like "...uh, right," and the cheesy laughs here and there. I think Steve Souza really held them back during those early years, because they did have the heaviest riffs and crunchiest distortion. Their albums didn't seem to stand the test of time; I'd really like to add their first few to my collection again (had them on tape), but it's almost more appealing to check out new stuff, or to get their new stuff even. Don't forget they lost it for about ten years following Impact, until Tempo.

Overkill started out (well, maybe not that early in their career) with their guitarist basically trying as hard as he could to be James Hetfield, even going so far as to wear tapered black jeans, have the same hair, and carry a white explorer in the Hello From The Gutter video (talk about posing). Since Metallica was king back then, it worked (for me as well, and I really dig their first few). Despite the drastic change in sound from their beginnings, I actually think Horrorscope was their high point (but from their early days, Taking Over). Soon after that, they went through so many guitarists that they never really got a sound. Just Blitz singing over the same type of riffs. To this day, I still don't know what it means to be "Wide F-ing Open." Him and DD are the band, but that's not enough in my book to call a long lasting band. I've borrowed more recent albums from my buddy, and they just don't stick; great production, but only worth one spin for me.

Testament had the best first album, with The Legacy (which has stood the test of time), and only had one flub, which was The Ritual (at least it was back then, but I need to give it a try these days). Chucks vocals (and even more importantly, vocal hooks) are superior to the other two bands, but Blitz is second. Testament kept it true pretty much the whole time, didn't pose, and didn't really copy others too much (although I do think Practice is a bit of a copy album of And Justice for All in terms of concept; and the solo for The Ballad is a direct ripoff of Crazy Train's solo, but I digress). They had the best leads courtesy of Scholnick, and the best comeback album, with The Gathering (which is one of metal's finest works). True, they'e had some lineup changes, but they at least kept the core group going, even after all these years.

Then their first full length debut album is Feel The Fire in 1985 on Megaforce Records. Still not Years of Decay in 1989. Years was their most popular album but definetly not their debut. And EP's really are debuts because it's the first songs you hear of the bands that won't be repeated on later material.

Well yeah, maybe I should've typed Feel The Fire instead of typing their debut, because you got a little confused there. (Happens to the best)

That's debatable. I was going to thrash shows in that time period. Most would say it peaked at 1986 when Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Reign in Blood and Among the Living came out. That is when the underground Thrash bands got noticed on a national & international scale.

Until 88-89 though, only the big four of thrash was really popular. However, by 88, even some of the lesser known thrash bands were starting to become popular. In 88, Testament's The New Order became very popular. Overkill's Under The Influence and Years Of Decay became popular as well, those albums were released in 88 and 89. Even Exodus became very popular in 89 when they released Fabulous Disaster, and their song "The Toxic Waltz" was very popular at the time, and rightfully so.

Testament for me alex skolnick is awsome!!I also like there 1st record alot and practice W Y P.....

Overkill for me.. Not really all their stuff is thrash I think, more up-tempo US Metal, stuff that fits my taste best.

I voted Overkill just because I've always enjoyed them just a bit more than the others (Especially 'Years Of Decay'). Sabbat would have to be my 2nd favorite but they weren't nominated.

I'm not much of an Overkill fan though I do like them, I could never choose them over any band.
Testament is great and have some of the best guitarist in their line-up. But I just love Exodus, especially when they had Paul Bailoff (R.I.P):worship:

Well yeah, maybe I should've typed Feel The Fire instead of typing their debut, because you got a little confused there. (Happens to the best)

Yes I got confused by the way you typed it. It happens.

Until 88-89 though, only the big four of thrash was really popular. However, by 88, even some of the lesser known thrash bands were starting to become popular. In 88, Testament's The New Order became very popular. Overkill's Under The Influence and Years Of Decay became popular as well, those albums were released in 88 and 89. Even Exodus became very popular in 89 when they released Fabulous Disaster, and their song "The Toxic Waltz" was very popular at the time, and rightfully so.

I'm 35 (twice your age) so I am aware of all that lol I started going to shows when I was 16 back in the 80's. Mostly thrash shows then other metal genre's so I saw everything about the Thrash scene first hand. I saw Testament live in their heyday (Practice What You Preach tour in 1990.. still have the T shirt I bought & still wear it). Saw Exodus as well but not Overkill because I was never a fan of theirs. Don't know why but perhaps I'll give their old albums a chance again in the near future.

As for popular. What is popular? The # of albums sold or one's opinion of popular which could mean shows are sold out & packed wall to wall, constantly written in the metal mags of the day etc.? Because alot of the bands I named were "popular".Their shows sold out to at Sundance in Bayshore Long Island back then. Nuclear Assault, D.R.I., Sacred Reich, Death Angel etc. But regardless. The underground scene became "popular" after Metallica's 1986 album MOP. Trust me on this. Because that is when I first became interested in the underground scene and started going to shows and saw there was a "popular" scene that I wasn't aware of till then.

For me, Testament was on top with Overkill a close second. I liked both bands even through their change up years. I've got all the early Exodus albums but they didn't get played a much as say Sacred Reich, Death Angel or even a couple from Flotsom and Jetsom.

Pretty easy for me, I don't like Overkill or Exodus :heh:

On the other hand, Testament is great (minus a couple of albums):headbang:

NP: Forte - 'Forgiven'