Expect a few changes next year

I thought of an idea. If in / out priviledges were revoked, then you could bypass the carrying around a whole lot of shit issue. Since the vendors were mainly all in the vinyl (except for the PP V shirts, though if this idea seems decent enough for Glenn he could move them there next year), you could just let people in to shop for cds early like this year, or maybe even so far as noon. That way people would get the required shopping out of the way and then when its time for the fest everyone could go in having already dropped their stuff off wherever and be freehanded. Just an idea.

Ben

Daybreaker said:
I thought of an idea. If in / out priviledges were revoked, then you could bypass the carrying around a whole lot of shit issue. Since the vendors were mainly all in the vinyl (except for the PP V shirts, though if this idea seems decent enough for Glenn he could move them there next year), you could just let people in to shop for cds early like this year, or maybe even so far as noon. That way people would get the required shopping out of the way and then when its time for the fest everyone could go in having already dropped their stuff off wherever and be freehanded. Just an idea.

Ben

while i see this as being a good idea, what about those people like me who arive in atlanta at 5:00 because we are comming from school and have to go to class on the friday morning. What if one of the bands we really want to see plays first, then we could not leave to shop and then could not come back in.

I really love taking photos at Progpower, cuz I'm always sending the good ones to the bands so they can put em up on their websites. A dozen of them from Edguy's set at PP3 were on their site, and I was proud as hell to see them shared for all.

But that's cuz I SHARE THEM! Not BOOTLEG THEM!

Plus the shittiest part about bootleg videos or audio, is the sound quality absolutely sucks horseass. I used to really collect bootleg live CD's for many years. Old MetallicA recordings from the 80's, a show in Detroit back on the Garage Inc. tour, they're really cool to have. But I tell ya... I've got three times as many bootleg MetallicA CD's as I have their actual albums and releases! And only maybe 3 of those boots I actually listen to! I've given up even looking at them nowadays. Cuz all these bootleg shows are either shaky as fuck video quality, or the audio sounds like its from a microcassette recorder with bad batteries. My friend found me a bootleg of Blind Guardian here in Detroit. The show two weeks after PP3. And you guessed it. It sucks like you can't even think! And he paid 30 bucks for it! I told him it's prolly gonna sound like shit, but did he listen to me? Oooohh no...

I saw some of these kids carrying those fancy-pants digital video camcorders, and to anyone who's gonna actually buy a bootleg from this year's concerts.... YOUR AUDIO QUALITY WILL SUCK ASS THROUGH A STRAW!!! These guys are shooting footage, and they're using the same ol' crap-ass microphones that are built into the cameras. So I instantly know I'll be wasting good money on some fool's Ebay bootlegs.

I rather just see them all in concert again. No bootleg video will be as cool as BEING THERE.

But then again.... everyone wants to get rich quick and easily. So they Ebay anything.

Now if you excuse me... I've got some Brainstorm pictures to size down and email to them....

This was my first PP, so I am not familiar with the past events. I will say, however, that Glenn has every right to be upset and I know everyone here agrees. Then in/out was a major advantage to go check out the merch next door and to get out of the smoke to talk with friends. I would be upset to see that go. As far as the pat downs and searches, I expect that and was surprised not to have been. Finally, the bootleggers should be persecuted and I agree that we should find the root of the problem(s) before they ruin this for the ones that attend PP for the right reason!

I'd much rather see digital cameras restricted to those with photo passes, than have in/out privileges revoked; 9+ hours is way too long to have to stay inside the venue, especially when it's as smoky as it was this year.

That said, I'm behind ya on whatever changes you feel are necessary, Glenn..do what's best for you & the festival, & people will continue to attend because you do give a crap enough to want it to be the best it can be.

This bootlegging bullshit is as bad and ignorant as the dickhead that begged Urbanbreed to get him a free beer because he's in Tad Morose. All of these assholes can stay home and not fuck it up for all of us ever again!

Not much to add, as everyone has already said it really well.

In/Out makes the concert, IMO, and you really can't hold a festival without it. Pat downs are understandable, but I suggest a 'Bag' line and a 'bag-free' line to speed things up a bit.

Mostly, I think you don't need to make many changes. You've alerted the faithful about the punishments if things don't change. We'll probably all be keeping an eye out for violators!

Steve in Philly

First off.... My sincere thanx to Glenn for the best metal festival in the states and perhaps the planet.... YOU RULE GLENN!!!! :worship:

Ya know.... It's really screwed up that a few lame fuckers have to ruin it for the the rest of us diehard fans.... We should all keep a lookout for bootleggers and if we catch them they should be banned FOREVER!!!! A picture should be taken of them and posted at the security point so they will not be allowed entrance again!!!! OH.... You bought a ticket??? TO BAD ASSHOLE!!!! YER BANNED!!!! That would teach them!!!! Just a thought.... Again my thanx for another excellent festival!!!! :headbang:

I expected to be patted and searched each time this year so it's no problem with me in the future. I welcome it if it keeps the still photography and in/out privileges in place.

If photography is out completely, what is the likelyhood of some sort of ProgPower Memory package? Since a DVD is definitely out, would it be feasible to hire a team of photographers to take supreme shots of each band. They could also wonder around taking shots of fans having fun. Perhaps they would even stay at the hotels and capture some of the pre and post festivities. Then package ALL of the photos together like a KISS tour program only a shitload more pictures of as many individual fans as possible. Also if you really want to make it nice include a CD of all the photos. I think some people would buy one even if they didn't make it to the festival for that given year. Of course, nothing can replace those personal memories of taking your own shots so I hope this privilege remains.

symfnyx said:
I saw one guy come in with a video camera, just holding it in his hands...
And security didn't stop him? He wasn't concealing it, but they let him in anyway? Was the guy the problem, or lax security the problem? I'm not saying he was right for bringing it, but maybe there should one sign saying what you can't bring in, or have it on the ticket like other shows do.

Lights on the stairs will be wonderful. Thanks for keeping after the venue on this issue Glenn.

I agree about the smoke being so thick you can't breathe. I like being able to go out side a minute and get some fresh air, take my purchase's to my room, or make a quick food run when the club is backed up for hours on orders.

I'll do what ever it takes to keep the in/out an option. I don't mind a search at the door one bit or having my camera approved at the door each time or before hand.

Man Glenn-

Sorry the bootlegging happened. The person(s) that did that need to be punished, publically.

As for the pat-downs, I'm not going to mind that, hell, I wouldn't even mind having my bags searched on the way in/out. If you need help with setting up bag checks or anything, let me know.

I have a question and if you (Glenn) dont want to answer it publicly then thats cool. Do you know if the people that were booting the show filming from the seats or the floor? I mean I dont know if youve seen these second hand asscopies or not but I assume that these people most likely were seated in the upper levels to film a "good" vid / dvd / whatever. Maybe a few extra security people that "patrol" each seating area (left, middle, right) just to make double sure that there arent any douche crews filming would help as well.

Ben

I have to admit that I'm really surprised I didn't get patted down. All I kept thinking was, "How easy would it be to bring in a weapon or massive amounts of illegal substances?" Not that I did, mind you! :) But in the current climate of heightened security, it did seem sorta weird. I wouldn't mind it at all.

Here's a suggestion to get around the videocam thing: only allow disposable cameras. Unfortunately, that means the quality of the photos will be awful, but you certainly can't pretend it's a camera while you're filming!

Or, how about this: When you get to the venue the first time (either to pick up your GB or to get in), you take your camera with you, and you are assigned a Camera Badge. The badge is a printed card with a space for you to write in your camera's model number. Once it's written in and confirmed by the person handing out the badges, the card is laminated. Any time you go in or out, you HAVE to show the card and the camera to Security. No badge, no camera.

For the badge registration portion, you'd probably want to hire someone who is really familiar with digital cameras, so he/she can tell right off the bat if that model has video capabilities.

I dunno; that's the only thing I can think of right now. I wish it didn't have to come to this, but I totally understand and support whatever decision you have to make, Glenn. (But I do hope that the camera issue can be solved without a total ban.)

-- Laura

I can't say enough good things or compliments about Glenn or the festival this year. Simply amazing and a LOT of fun. Love the new set up with the vendors in the club.

Better pat downs? Cool. Get those lights wired up? HELL yeah - my buddy somehow saved himself from a massive lipdrop heading down them. Siging limit of three items? Hell, that's cool too.

No cameras would kinda suck - this is one of the only events I know of where folks can get live up-close pics of their favorite bands - not to mention probably getting a shot WITH the band if you run into them - priceless.

Bootleggers - these fuckers need to be stopped dead in their tracks before they ruin this festival for everyone. I am absolutely sure that the hardcore fans that post on here will be your '2ndary police force' and will instantly nail someone they see bootlegging - If you make a general announcement at the beginning of the festival and place signs on the way in everyone has to pass banning videocamera, I'm sure we can choke this off.

Stopping In-and-Out: oh MAN would this suck. Like drumRman says, being STUCK in there once you first go in without being able to get OUT for a bit would realy be a big detriment. Can't tell you how cool it was to buy shirts and CDs, then run a block over to the Residence Inn and drop stuff off - chill out for 10 and then head on back. No problem having to go through whatever line to get back in but doing away with the in-and-out would REALLY suck bad.

LuCinda said:
Maybe we should start a thread to vote on who we would like to pat us down......
I'm all for that Lucinda, those guys working the door were buff! Hey, I'm willing to be patted down if necessary (grin).

In/out privledges will remain. This year will be the final test as to the camera question. I will leave it up to you to report bootleggers. If I have as many problems next time as this year, then I will ban all but disposable cameras.

I'm going to make the effort to leave things as is, but I need your help.

Glenn H

Harvester said:
In/out privledges will remain. This year will be the final test as to the camera question. I will leave it up to you to report bootleggers. If I have as many problems next time as this year, then I will ban all but disposable cameras.

I'm going to make the effort to leave things as is, but I need your help.

Glenn H
I got yer back Glenn!