Expect a few changes next year

Cool man. Thanks Glenn. Burke had a good idea though, since I figure that all of us that post here arent bitches, his idea of putting up "RECORD AND YOU WILL DIE" posters by the entrance and in various locations in the lobby would get everyone else that attends the notion across that if you get caught booting well... its self explanatory.

Ben

i love being able to take pictures at pp but i see the reasoning behind not leting people take them in. I would not mind so much not being able to take a camera in, if their was a opertunity to buy pictures from glenn of the bands we want pictures of and they could be taken by people he brings in to it.

Greetings All!

Man, we run into bootleggers at damn near every show we film...what a pain! From my perch, besides my guys and Glenn's videographer, I saw quite a few camcorders floating around in the crowd. What I've done in the past is approach possible bootleggers and let them know that it's not cool to be filming bands w/o permission. That usually works but if I get attitude, I go find security.

What about the Bands that have camera's? I know a lot of bands were doing DVD things. How about getting a pass for video cameras (for those allowed to use/ have them ONLY)? That way if we see a pink (ro whatever color) pass, then we know they are cool... If not, we take the video camera and break it. I mean, report it. That might clear some confusion. That way, you can have the name of all who had a video cameras.

And I know it's been said before, we've all got your back Glenn!

-MetalRose

Just my luck :cry:
This was my first ProgPower :headbang: :headbang:
I for one have never been to a concert with so many perks...
That what makes it so special....
My buddy said he saw a few people w/camcorders but I
figuered they were part of the crew or some Gold Badge perks....
Believe me if I had known I would have acted on it.....
Whew.... Enough typing......
Thanks Glen I will never miss another...........

Just curious, so I can start planning equipment purchases if I need to...

I have a Canon Powershot A80 that I use for stills, but it is capable of recording video (though at pretty low res and it looks like shit and I can't imagine carrying enough storage (or batteries) for it to be feasible -- but then compactflash cards will probably be in the multigigabyte range a year from now, I guess). Would having such a camera, get me in trouble?

This is gonna get tricky. Digital convergence is going crazy, and within a few years, $99 cellphones are going to have these capabilities (whether the buyer wants them or not).

I figure if you see someone with a video recorder of any type...go get security. If they are supposed to be there then Security will clear it. If they aren't then you just stopped someone from ripping GLenn off and that is a very cool thing. I would hate to see a few bootleggers ruin it for so many people. Bad apples and all that sort of thing.

Coldie

Yippee38 said:
And security didn't stop him? He wasn't concealing it, but they let him in anyway? Was the guy the problem, or lax security the problem? I'm not saying he was right for bringing it, but maybe there should one sign saying what you can't bring in, or have it on the ticket like other shows do.
I was standing outside having a smoke and a guy walked in with a camcorder in his hand... I was like what the hell, and was going to find someone involved in the show to describe the guy to get him kicked out, but before I even finished my smoke he came back out with the camcorder and left. I laughed at him when he walked back out, idiot. Security at the entrance to the back part must have stopped him, or Deron put the smackdown on his ass and told him to leave.

Well, I agree with Elfchief and everyone else who said that photography is what makes the event special. I only took a handful of pictures of the actual bands, my main reason for carrying around a digital camera was for me to get shots of myself with other fans and the band members themselves. I certainly would not mind myself being searched and my camera examined, but I hope that photography doesn't go away. The sheer amount of still video taken at the festival and posted up all over the net is the single best form of advertising ProgPower has. It shows how many people are having an amazing time at the show from their own unique perspective. Also if the old addage that "a picture is worth 1,000 words" then I would say that the internet contains many encyclopedias worth of praise regarding ProgPower.

I certainly don't blame you Glenn for being upset. As a business owner, I know what it's like to put on something special and have a couple of idiots completely take the wind out of your sails. However, try not to let a few spoil it for the rest of us. If I have to wade through some more security, I will gladly do so.

Just my two-cents worth,
SwordLord
proudly representing Minnesota's metal scene

Another thing that couldn't hurt is to have someone, like the guy announcing, come out and remind the crowd that it's not allowed. There weren't any signs that I saw, and I'm sure not everyone that attends hangs out here. The good thing about someone being in the crowd bootlegging is there's ALWAYS someone next to them. Come out in the middle of a set if you have to and remind people that if they are bootlegging that they'll be lynched. I like the idea of having signs up as well EVERYWHERE reminding people if you see someone recording to report them.

Say Glenn, I just had an after-thought, have you considered renting those little locker-units with keys -- the kind you see at every community pool and what-not? Perhaps that would help alleviate the need for in/out or at least make it a little bit more convenient for those of us who "pack" to have a safe place to store our schtuff. I would think a company would put them in (temporarily of course) for virtually no-charge if allowed to keep the majority of revenue from them.

Posting a guard by it or putting them within eye-sight of the door-staff could make that a good addition to the festival.

Just more of my two-cents which is all I have left after visiting the dealer's room. *grin*

SwordLord

"Damn that sucks!!! It's these special privileges that makes ProgPower so unique. Leave it to a couple a-holes to ruin it for everyone. Wish I'd seen one of the bastards."

I could not have said it better. this was my first PP and i would hate to see it change because of these jerks!

Okay. Big fat fuckin sign.

NO CAMCORDERS ALLOWED! Digital still cameras are still permitted.

And you'll be damned sure I'll RAT THEIR ASSES OUT next year if I see em doing video cameras. Yeah, my 16 seconds of video that I can do at a time on my digicam may suck, but it's good enough so my friends can see a panned shot of just how SMALL the Earthlink really is, and how funny-as-hell it is when the three guys from Edguy stand next to each other and wiggle their hips side to side. But that's all I can do! (Sidenote: the audio wasn't even audio in those two clips.... distorted CHHHKHKCKCKKHCHCKHCKHCKHKKCCK!) But these freeloaders... and that's what they surely are.... are fuckin cheating in a game I'm playing.

And I don't like cheaters.

I'll rat their asses out. No fuckin shame here. I'll rat em out and laugh when they get their cameras confiscated.

symfnyx said:
Another thing that couldn't hurt is to have someone, like the guy announcing, come out and remind the crowd that it's not allowed. There weren't any signs that I saw, and I'm sure not everyone that attends hangs out here. The good thing about someone being in the crowd bootlegging is there's ALWAYS someone next to them. Come out in the middle of a set if you have to and remind people that if they are bootlegging that they'll be lynched. I like the idea of having signs up as well EVERYWHERE reminding people if you see someone recording to report them.
I was thinking the same thing. Granted if you hang out here you probably know that bootlegging is not allowed, but I suppose it's possible there were people who didn't know. In fact given the accomodating policy towards photography some people may have assumed it was allowed.

nvandyk said:
...that the hot bartender pats me down. Extensively, each time I enter or exit. You can charge me an extra $50, Glenn. :headbang:
Mr. NVD - shame on you!!!!!!!!!! And here I always thought you were a cut above the regular male.

Off to go cry now knowing "there's no hope for these bastards!"

In all seriousness though (sticking my tongue out at NVD). Even something as simple as a little paper/flyer that is handed out to people when they pick up their badges might help.

I know The Rave in Milwaukee hands out a little piece of paper with tickets that says no recording devices or "body passing" - lol, I never believed that until I saw it with my own eyes!

jkohn said:
I was thinking the same thing. Granted if you hang out here you probably know that bootlegging is not allowed, but I suppose it's possible there were people who didn't know. In fact given the accomodating policy towards photography some people may have assumed it was allowed.

You know what? Never thought of it that way. You're absolutely right. If I had a decent camcorder, I'd have thought about it, and at least posted a question here to know ahead of time. But people who are just comign to the show... they wouldn't know any difference.

Next year, big signs on the glass doors.

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY ONLY!
Video equipment will be confiscated

*snicker*

That way, Glenn can make a few bucks ebaying good video equipment he gets for free!

I HAD TO SAY IT!