Experienced Re-ampers

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
I'm starting production soon on the new iaa record and were using 100% real guitar amps. I've always tracked with amp sims and re-amped later, but I'm wondering if tracking with a real amp the whole time would help me capture the nuances a real amp gives so when I reamp, I won't run into any issues.

Opinions?

Well thats a given , I'm just wondering if "monitoring" with a real amp while I'm tracking will yield more accurate results than just using an amp sim

Probably yes, because your playing is being slightly influenced by how it sounds, slight nuances, such as how strong you pick, how you position certain parts, how you palm mute, etc... If possible yes, I would monitor a mic'ed signal and reamp later

Well thats a given , I'm just wondering if "monitoring" with a real amp while I'm tracking will yield more accurate results than just using an amp sim

The main advantage with ampsims is that you can track quietly with headphones if needed. Then the downsides is that at least I haven't been able to archieve the same guitar resonance with ampsims and getting feedback is almost impossible, which can be both good or bad depending what you want. The upsides are that feedback increases sustain and for example I use the feedback as a transitional effect a lot. If I want to get feedback with ampsims and speakers, I have to have the preamp-gain on the ampsim almost dimed and/or the speakers fucking loud.

Maybe it's just me but I play the same no matter what amp, or ampsim, I am playing through. Maybe that's why I don't get surprises when I reamp my sim-monitored DI's through real amps and vice-versa. *shrug*

I've tracked people through ampsims like the PODxt, V-Amp, etc and reamped later with no issues. They had no problem with it at all.

Personally, I fucking hate ampsims. I can't play through one without it having a huge impact on my playing. I am very much a player that bases what they do on tone and I "play the amp" very much.

It all depends on the guitarist I think. Give it a shot, see if it works for you. If not, you're stuck doing what I do. Track with a real amp and take DIs in case you want to re-amp for a different sound later, or just want a more consistent tone overall. (eg. Knobs being bumped over the time it takes to track the project, etc.)

Anssi seems to be completely missing the point.

Nick, yes - it will definitely affect the playing and vibe of the production in my honest opinion. This is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of reamping... it's super handy and often a vital part of getting a good tone, but if you can track with (at the very least) the same head that you'll be reamping with, the feel of the playing will be properly preserved when reamping.

Nick, yes - it will definitely affect the playing and vibe of the production in my honest opinion. This is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of reamping... it's super handy and often a vital part of getting a good tone, but if you can track with (at the very least) the same head that you'll be reamping with, the feel of the playing will be properly preserved when reamping.

+1
Jeff and I are on total agreement here. Couldn't have said it better myself.

It will most likely be my 5150, but i might fork out if the results are better

I found it depended on the sim. When I used a POD the results were quite different once reamping, a bunch of mistakes came out that were hidden by the compression of the Line6. When I used the Axe-FX it was a lot closer, it reacts much more like a real amp and there were no nasty surprises at reamp time.

If you can use a real amp though why not go for it!

I actually track live amp along with DI's, sometimes you get the tone perfect on the first shot. It also helps the musician play to his full potential. 90% of the players out there definitely play differently depending on the tone they are using. I know I play a SHIT ON harder when the amp has less gain then I am normally accustom too.

It will most likely be my 5150, but i might fork out if the results are better

Honestly, the 5150 should be fine. A, it ends up on 90% of metal releases these days anyways :lol:, and B, that amp is organic enough to not hide mistakes that will come out on other amps, except for maybe something insanely dry like a VHT. It'll also force you to chug harder for the extra squish!

Reamping is great if you want to experiment with different amp models and tones, and you can even reproduce all of your nuances (palm mutes, harmonics, sweaks and swauks), but the one thing you cant reproduce is putting your guitar up against your speaker to get feedback. Can you imagine Jimmy Hendrix reamping his guitar tracks.

The only way i can see you do it, is if you recorded the feedback on a seperate track, and matched with the reamped track.

When a part comes up where feedback is needed I just have the guitarist stand close to one of my monitors... hasn't been an issue to date.