Explain what Evergrey sounds like

Wicked Child

DYNO-MITE!
Mar 4, 2003
Vista, CA
Visit site
Let's say some guy curious in Evergrey comes up to you and asks what do they sound like, what style are they, what bands do they sound like,etec. what would YOU say?

Well, I'd call them "Dark Metal", without the progressive part. I don't see them as a progressive band, not when I think of odd-time signatures etc. nor when I think of their general sound, which still is present on all of their albums.

Evergrey is just Evergrey.

My description would be characteristic proggish and aggressive power metal. I only own Solitude * Dominance * Tragedy and Recreation Day so my description is partly based on those people's opinions who own the whole catalogue.

I'd say that they play aggressive power metal. But if someone needs a better describe, I think I'd say that take some Blind Guardian and Symphony X, tone the singer lower and add there a lot of something dark and own, that would be quite near.

I have tried to find a band that sound like Evergrey, but I haven't succeeded yet... One could say that they include some Dream Theater/Symphony X elements, but I wouldn't say that they sound like those two bands. They have much more mood and feelings in their songs.

One genre I wouldn't use to describe Evergrey is power metal! For christs sakes, it makes one think of bands like Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall and bands that sing about dragons and knights and whatever medieval stuff they can come up with. I think Evergrey is more traditional hardrock in that respect. It's when you add the keyboards and emotional singing that something really special surface.