Talking Parts

EternalMetal

Mar 31, 2004
You guys all know what im talking about. The parts in the songs where they talk to add a spooky atmosphere. Do you think Evergrey overdoes these a little? The last track on The Inner Circle, I swear the guy sounds retarded. I think it takes away from the eerieness of the music. I like these talking parts, but sometimes the guys from Evergrey overuse them a little.

Does anyone agree with me?

peza said:

Care to elaborate?

Its not that I think they overuse them everytime, its just the times when they keep going on and on, like on "When the Walls Go Down" and on "The Shocking Truth". I just feel as though the part in "When the Walls Go Down" when he goes "im not talking about perfection..." sounds kind of retarded. "The Shocking Truth" isnt so bad, but it kind of revisits the overdone moments. And they use it a little much on that song imo, it would be better without it.

The "preacher" on TIC is a real preacher from what I understand.

That's what makes it even better. I think if you're from the US you understand this sort of thing... if not you might not get it.

NeonKnite said:
The "preacher" on TIC is a real preacher from what I understand.

That's what makes it even better. I think if you're from the US you understand this sort of thing... if not you might not get it.

Yea, ive been from Jersey my whole life, I understand the US thing.

I just think that sometimes the talking is a little much. I understand it, but I just think that when you start to recognize the voice and be able to put the face to a retard, the whole creepiness loses its magic. Im serious, the guy sounds really "nerdy" as karelrulez put it. I just skip over the songs with the overdone voices. I love Evergrey though, but this is one gripe I have. The new cd doesnt have any of these talking parts if im not mistaken, and I miss them a little. Maybe they thought that since the other album overused them, they would take them away fully this time.

EternalMetal said:
You guys all know what im talking about. The parts in the songs where they talk to add a spooky atmosphere. Do you think Evergrey overdoes these a little? The last track on The Inner Circle, I swear the guy sounds retarded. I think it takes away from the eerieness of the music. I like these talking parts, but sometimes the guys from Evergrey overuse them a little.

I wholeheartedly agree!!!
I LOVE the talking parts on every Evergrey Album,
EXCEPT for Inner Circle.
The talking ruins some of Inner Circle for me.
Evergrey is better than that!
Their music transfers the feeling perfectly,
Inner Circle doesn't need all that Overdub IMHO.
I wish that whenever Tom thought he needed to insert something spoken,
he'd either speak/act it himself, or have Carina SING!
I'm a big believer in the need for more Carina singing in Evergrey!!!!
:headbang:

i really like the talking parts tbh, and i feel they add a lot to all their albums especially ISOT and TIC. when the walls go down wouldnt be near as good if you took out the talking parts :)

EternalMetal said:

along the same lines...all those goofy voice over movie tracks on SDT...wtf?

EternalMetal said:
Care to elaborate?

Its not that I think they overuse them everytime, its just the times when they keep going on and on, like on "When the Walls Go Down" and on "The Shocking Truth". I just feel as though the part in "When the Walls Go Down" when he goes "im not talking about perfection..." sounds kind of retarded. "The Shocking Truth" isnt so bad, but it kind of revisits the overdone moments. And they use it a little much on that song imo, it would be better without it.

Sure, TIC has a cult theme, and the "preacher" represents the insanity that constantly lacks of sound judgement to anyone else apart from his own environment. In the end (When the Walls go Down) it all goes beyond any rational behaviour, even to himself, and the story ends with him mourning/crying/blaming/losing it...

It makes perfectly sense if you care about the TIC "message". Besides that, I think the samples are cool and extremely well put. Good job EG

I connect with the message, but the last song is not done as tastefully as I would have liked. I would have liked more singing and less talking, sampling the preachers voice here and there, keeping it sounding mysterious and cool. I have listened to this album many many times, I think I had the cd on repeat in my car for about a month, and have listened to it many times before and after then. I fucking love the cd, but they overdo the voice sampling a few times on the cd.