Exploring Black Metal

Metalchemist

Scorpionic!
Oct 15, 2002
North-West England
Visit site
I'm mostly into trad/power, but after enjoying the first Sirenia album and getting into COB I thought I'd venture further and give Black Metal a try. I got the Emperor compilation but only 'The Majesty Of The Nightsky' was melodic enough for me. Last week I got Satyricon's 'Volcano'; I like the last three tracks but the other five I find too dry.

Can any of you recommend some BM albums to me? Tet?

Try this band more viking metal but jolly good ASMEGIN also DRACONIAN. But if you like Sirenia, Try their second album its alot better, also try bands like the mighty TRISTANIA, THE SINS OF THY BELOVED, TRAIL OF TEARS etc as they are all similar. Have a look on opera metal there is a post called members list on it whos into black death metal theres a number of bands you will need to try there.

Give Evemaster a try - "Lacrima Mundi" or the latest one, "Wither" seem like good starting points for Black Metal, they use the drum & vocal stylings without throwing out melody altogether. Although much derided and not exactly Black Metal, Cradle of Filth's "From the Cradle to Enslave" and "Cruelty and the Beast" albums are in fact excellent and definitely worth a listen.

Black metal is a bit of a leap from CoB, though - you might well want to check out some more aggressive Death Metal such as Carcass ("Heartwork"), Morbid Angel ("Blessed Are The Sick"), Possessed, Arch Enemy ("Wages of Sin"), Dark Tranquility (Projector), Opeth ("Blackwater Park") etc. before taking the plunge. Then go for Dimmu Borgir's absolute masterpiece "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" and possibly also "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" if you have time.

Once you've digested all that, try Emperor again - you might find more to like on it, it really is a stunning compilation. Remember that it's very debateable whether you should "enjoy" this music at all, it's a reflection of absolute nihilism & the blasted waste of human civilisation, maaaaan. Plus "I Am The Black Wizards" [sic] is one of the best extreme tracks, ever.

Then go for Darkthrone's "Hate Them" and finally, once you're really ready for some punishment, Anaal Nathrakh's "When Fire Rains From the Sky...". Just make sure the neighbours are out & don't say I didn't warn you...

Or alternatively, make your own! Just grab a yorkshire terrier by the hind legs and dash it's head against various parts of a drum kit while recording the whole thing! Viola!

Seriously though I'm no connesseur of black metal, but I am partial to a bit of Emperor. Their album 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' is the only one I have actually, but it's pretty good, there's a good few doomy/melodic bits in there. A band called Rakoth are also excellent, they blend Russian folk music with black metal, and it really is something special so check them out too!

[edited to change my mixed-up-o]

For bands similar to CoB, you may want to try Norther, Kalmah, or even Ensiferum who are a little folky too. Oh, speaking of folky black metal, there's Finntroll aswell who are great.

For black metal I'd go for Dimmu Borgir 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' (which has already been mentioned, Agathodaimon 'Blacken the Angel' or Old Man's Child 'Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion. These are all easy to get into but that's if you are looking for a symphonic sound.

For a more extreme sound then I'd firstly go for something like Dark Funeral or Marduk. If you are just getting into black metal then bands like Darkthrone can be a little hard to swallow as production suffers on some of the earlier releases. Actually, Carpathian Forests last album 'Defending the Throne of Evil' is a good album and has some short keyboard bursts in places too. For a more deathy sound there's also Behemoth. 'Satanica' is in my opinion their best.

Metalchemist said:
If you liked "At sixes and sevens", then the obvious next step (apart from the second Sirenia album, "An elixir for existence") is Tristania's "World of glass". You might also want to consider Borknagar's "Empiricism" or "The archaic course". Dimmu Borgir's recent albums (the last 4 or so) have all been excellent, but may be a bit harder to get into, depending on your tastes. I'm not much for what purists would call real black metal -- it's just too much noise for the sake of it. I like to be able to hear the lyrics, even through growled vocals. Straying a bit into "viking metal" territory, you could also give Einherjer's "Norwegian native art" a listen (better IMHO than their final recording, "Blot").

Admitidly most of the bands reccomended here are Gothic Metal (SOTB Tristiana etc.) if Emperor aren't melodious enough for you stear clear of Darkthrone and their ilk along with just about the enitre british scene (we're a good exporter of TOTAL FUCKING NECRO:D)

TBH black metal is not really a melodious genre but the finish scene is full of more melodic yet agressive bands.

Try the following:
Enochian Crescent
Funeris Nocturnum
Advent
Mustan Kunn Lappset
Frozen Tears
Dark Inversion
Luna Ad Noctum
The newer Enslaved albums (Mardraum, Monumension and Below The Lights)
Cruel Humanity

Also if you aren't a major opponent to industrial then try some of the industrial Black Metal bands out there. ...And Oceans and Dimension F3H are good bets, DF3H even have a power metal vocalist

Metalchemist said:
I'm mostly into trad/power, but after enjoying the first Sirenia album and getting into COB I thought I'd venture further and give Black Metal a try. I got the Emperor compilation but only 'The Majesty Of The Nightsky' was melodic enough for me. Last week I got Satyricon's 'Volcano'; I like the last three tracks but the other five I find too dry.

you might want to start with some melodious like:
dimmu borgir (enthrone darkness triumphant)
graveworm

then progress, or go stright to:
watain (casus luciferi)
darkthrone (transylvanian hunger)
behemoth (from the pagan vastlands)
burzum (hvis lyset tar oss)
negura bunget (their latest, it has a romanian title so i wont try to spell it :))
ulver (bergtatt)

cheers

Thus Defiled are Necro as hell! Fucking brilliant band, very very fast unmelodious BM.

Also, why do some fans not class Emperor as proper black metal?
Rant alert!

This is because Emperor are not "Kvlt" enough for these epople, these are the kind of people who think thet BM should not progress in the slightest and insist that only Nazi bands liek Graveland or albums released before 1995 are any good. They have this utterly brainless ethos by which all bands have to be as controvertial as possible and MUST make identical albums. To these people Emperor sold out which is bullshit. These people piss me off to hell and back because all they do is sit about maoning about how no-one stays true to the old ways, Dimmu, Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal etc. all sold out and how Robert Draven is a model person who's every will should be obayed.

some of them are even worse and state that you are only Black Metal if:
a) you play 12 or less notes in one song
b) you wear corpse paint
c) you use no keyboards unless you're a Nazi (they let you get away with it if you're that controvertial)
d) you have to sing about Satan and Nationalism
e) you can't ever play a gig (unless you're Nocturnal Mortum)
f) you can't do interviews unless its with a tiny webzine
g) you can't sighn to a big (by metal standards) lable
h) you can't do unlimited runs of albums (in some cases then they say you HAVE to do 666 copies)
i) you have to listen to "Kvlt" black metal and slag off everyone else in interviews
j) you must dress like old Burzum
k) you must record in your bedroom
L) if you ever deviate form any of these rules you are a pouser and must be killed

rare? yes. on the increase? Unfortunately yes. These people are pousers, they just go on for ages about how "Kvlt" they are and forget the most important thing: the music. Anaal Natharakth are the most Necro band ever, far more true to black metal than all these wannabes in their corpsepaint in the snow (not that I have anything against corpsepainted bands) but oh wait, they're sell-outs because of most of the reasons above.

Emperor are still one of the best BM bands ever, Prometheus was sort of half Black half Death Metal but other than that they still have raw riffing, a general evil sound and a good fast pace. Darkthrone are still for all the evil in man and they still have the definitive attitude of a BM band:
"If you like it, ok. If you don't fuck off and stop complaining"
and after 10 albums and over 15 years, they're still as hateful as ever because they still do what they want regardless of what everyone thinks. All hail

Sorry bout the rant but "Kvlt" is one of my pet peeves.

Yes the kvltists are probably the worst breed of person within the metal world, they suck fugelhorn.
But don't get nationalism mixed up with racism! I'm a nationalist, but not racist, hence I won't be voting BNP! Kvlt black metal people usually fall into the racist category alone!
Plus I'd imagine the BNP won't exactly be marching along to BM tracks anyway, the kvlt stuff has no particular beat to march to! I don't know who they are trying to kid with all this nazi crap either, seeing as the nazi's favored strong, epic, classical music, Wagner was all the rage.

Hypocrites and idiots, the lot of 'em!

You and your history sam... I hate anal black metal fans aswell Baletempest... Maybe not quite so much as you seem to though!

Whew!

Anyway I just wanted to clarify one of my original points:-

Sirenia and COB were my doorway to BM because they enabled me to get used to harsh vocals, which was my main sticking point.

Musically, I don't think you can get heavier than the original version of 'War Pigs' anyway - thrash, black, death or otherwise.

some people call them a black metal band, I am not too sure myself,(but who cares about the lable if the music is good)but perhaps you should check lacuna coil? and obviously my siggy says whatever else I need to say: Tristania! obviously...but they have been mentioned before...