Exposing Others to Metal

cookiecutter

Proceed to Ultraslamming
Feb 10, 2006
Toronto ON
slam-minded.blogspot.com
Have you ever exposed non-metalheads to metal? (whether willfully or unwillfully on their part). What was their reaction?

I've watched Headbanger's Ball and Uranium a few times with my mom. She mostly thinks it sucks (I can't disagree with that considering what they show on Headbaner's Ball). The two good videos she has seen are Suffocation - Surgery of Impalement and Behemoth - Slave Shall Serve. Suffocation showed her that their were other types of metal besides things like Poison or Def Leppard. She also says Behemoth is "music of the orcs" The funny thing is that after she learned more about my music tastes she keeps encouraging me to go to shows.

I await stories :kickass:

generally if people do ask me to put on some Metal for them because they are curious, I get the following reactions:
'that sucks'
'What the fuck'
'That is screwed up'
and 'these headphones don't work'

A good question. What I find, is that they are very stereotypical, in the sence that 'anyone who likes metal, likes Slipknot.' To none metalheads, and probably some of you, Slipknot are freaks, therefore, in their eyes, we are freaks. Entirely not true. I dont care for Slipknot, but particularly admire Joey Jordisons drumming.

I have found that some Nightwish has appealed to none metalheads, I have found that Guns N Roses appeal to some metalheads. Some people claim to hate metal music at all costs, yet love well known songs such as Smoke on the Water, Sweet Child O' Mine, and others.

Harder stuff is more of a 'no-no.' I havent tested their reaction to stuff like Arch Enemy, Cradle of Filth and other bands which appear in my signature. I would rather start them off on the less heavy, less 'sick' music, so that I dont fuck up their thoughts on metal. As Cradle of Filth are certainly more disturbing than Slipknot will ever be.

I conclude that most people that dislike metal, are usually very ignorant to music in general.

Growing up and residing in a Christian household I keep my metal to myself, and I intend to keep it that way. My father, who likes classical, dislikes all rock and roll (except CCR and the Beatles) and my mother draws the line at 70's hard rock. As for my sister in college she only listens to hip-hop.

I enjoy all the music that my parents like (though I despise my sister's tastes) and therefore I can enjoy music with them. The exception is metal, my primary musical interest, which I confine to my headphones.

For sharing and discussing metal and musical interests (and attending concerts) I have a good friend at school for this. As for others at school I do not hide nor flaunt my interests, but try to see if there might be others who are metal-literate.

Zephyrus said:
I enjoy all the music that my parents like (though I despise my sister's tastes) and therefore I can enjoy music with them. The exception is metal, my primary musical interest, which I confine to my headphones.

Man thats terrible. Im fortunate that my parents are both metalheads as well. Whenever im not sure on a band (I think the last band I did this with was Opeth), I get a second opinion from them.

My dad either likes it or he doesn't. My little sister is too naive. My older sister is in college, so we really don't listen to the same stuff. My dad has a slight chance of liking it. He loves grunge. He likes NIN and Tool, and I think he liked burxum. It is just bands like meshuggah and death where he draws the line. Plus, I can't seriously expect him to lisxten to all of my stuff when I end up getting so much, and he is a very busy guy. Mabye he'll get into that stuff when he retires. I would love to see some 80 year old rocking out to death metal.

Turbo said:
Man thats terrible. Im fortunate that my parents are both metalheads as well. Whenever im not sure on a band (I think the last band I did this with was Opeth), I get a second opinion from them.

I've got friends and metal review sites to give me second and third opinions so I'm happy.

I cant say my family likes what I listen to. Sames with ppl whos around me. I'm the one who listens to most heavy stuff than my friends. And sometimes when I'm in subway or just standing in the street with my player and headphones in my years - the sound still gets a lil from them and ppl can hear what I listen to, then they make faces like -
shok.gif

And when I tried to explain my parents that some heavy music is real art and needs serious attention - they were about to call a doctor...

My mom likes to listen to the some of the music I like to listen to whenever I play it (Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Yngwie, Symphony X, Ozzy, etc.). My brother and sister are emo/alternative or whatever. My sister likes Sabbath a lot. I think my brother is secretly impressed with Yngwie and the fusion stuff than the other metal stuff, but he does like a few Maiden and Queensryche songs. My dad likes Van Halen, GNR, some Metallica, but is more of a listen to whatever is on the radio kind of guy. But I can say my music is generally accepted in my household. But the more extreme stuff like Bodom and Slayer doesn't go over well... not that I listen to that stuff much anyways besides Bodom and Wintersun.

getting non-heavy people into heavy music is a gradual process. you have to recognize that they appoach music from a totally different perspective than you. it doesn't work to just play them metal that you think is really good and expect them to understand what you like about it. you need to give them a reference point; play them something that is more in the "grey area" rather than something that is strictly "heavy". assuming that you listen to anything that could be considered "grey". if you don't, maybe you should talk to someone about exposing you to indie rock or jazz or something.

also

once i played emperor ITNE for my middle aged mom. she said "so the vocals are like that for atmosphere and rhythm rather than melody... ok."

my mom is fucking cool.

Teh Grimarse said:
once i played emperor ITNE for my middle aged mom. she said "so the vocals are like that for atmosphere and rhythm rather than melody... ok."

my mom is fucking cool.
You mean she came up with that 'analysis' on her own???:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

ender7227 said:
My mom has watched some Uranium and HB with me, she hates Juliya and loves Disturbed but that's about all she's gleamed from it. Really I don't have anyone to expose, as most of my freinds are metalheads, or at least come close

There are 4 metalheads I know of in my school other than me, and 3 of them like Pantera :(.

I know what you mean about Juliya. She's hot until she opens her mouth and then you just want to kill her.

Teh Grimarse said:
when hot girls opening their mouths make you think of murder, you listen to too much fucking death metal.

It is less the opening of the mouth, and more the horrific fake agression semi english she spouts. But you are correct, I do listen to too much death metal. :)