Exposing Others to Metal

Hell whenever I'm at a party I demand that metal be blasting through every speaker in sight. More often than not people like it cus its good to drink to metal.:kickass:

I have on a couple of occasions shown mainstreem goths to real gothic music. The suprised looks I get when they realise goth is more about love than sadness is always fun:heh:

My Dad is the person who got me into metal, i remember when he put a rammstein cd on and i was like 'this sucks', oh how the times have changed :headbang:

Killbot_Mk.2 said:
Hell whenever I'm at a party I demand that metal be blasting through every speaker in sight. More often than not people like it cus its good to drink to metal.:kickass:

I have on a couple of occasions shown mainstreem goths to real gothic music. The suprised looks I get when they realise goth is more about love than sadness is always fun:heh:
Nice:headbang:

My school is full of ignorant, close-minded people who would just call me a goth fag and dismiss me as a freak. There's only really a handful of people my age that I know who are open to all types of music, and I still get weird looks from them sometimes. Most of the complaints I get about it are the vocals. Screaming and growling seem perfectly normal to me, but I guess maybe I've just been hearing it for so long.

Killbot said:
generally if people do ask me to put on some Metal for them because they are curious, I get the following reactions:
'that sucks'
'What the fuck'
'That is screwed up'
and 'these headphones don't work'

Add "I can't understand the words, you got any 50 cent?" to that list.

Most people criticize vocals or say its too heavy when I play metal around them

I'm not a music evangelist, I don't need to fucking introduce people to metal

Impudent said:
Rammstein aren't metal.

Yeh but they are heavier than all the other shit i was listening to at the timem they are stilll one my favourite bands weather they are metal or not

Blinded By Blood said:
Most people criticize vocals or say its too heavy when I play metal around them

I'm not a music evangelist, I don't need to fucking introduce people to metal

Exactly, kinda. I realised a loooooooooooooong time ago that introducing people not into rock at all to metal was a hopeless process. These days the only evangelising I do is for newly discovered bands (by me) to my metal-listening to friends. I have a couple of mates at work - one who will listen to mainstream thrash (minus Slayer) and Christian metal (he's a baptist, but nether the less, a good bloke), and the other grounded in 70's hard rock and prog.

I've got the former into Turisas, Bolt Thrower and Carcass (which is amusing to hear a baptist trying to justify his own enjoyment of the lyrics to Corporeal Jigsore Quandary), and the latter to Amorphis, Pentagram, WItchfinder General, Panzer X and (bizarrely) Slough Feg.

The former hasn't converted me to anything (the Christian bands he's listened to aren't very good - by virtue of music - Sinai Beach??????), while the latter has turned me on to Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull etc etc

For it to be successful, it generally has to be a two way process. HAving said that, my younger brother (ten years younger!) is now raiding my collection, having spent the last few years stuck in a rap and r&b maze of urban blandness. He's now buying Impaled, Exhumed, Cradle of Filth (I know you won't agree that this is progress!) etc, and the chances of him playing anything of worth to me are remote...

One time when I was like 14 or something my grandmother walked into my room while I was rocking out to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and she said the singer sounded like he had a stomache ache. I told her to fuck off.