Exposing Others to Metal

Carcassian said:
For it to be successful, it generally has to be a two way process. HAving said that, my younger brother (ten years younger!) is now raiding my collection, having spent the last few years stuck in a rap and r&b maze of urban blandness. He's now buying Impaled, Exhumed, Cradle of Filth (I know you won't agree that this is progress!) etc, and the chances of him playing anything of worth to me are remote...

That sounds like good progress to me :headbang:

Teh Grimarse said:
without rammstein absolutely nothing that matters would be any fucking different.

Hey man dont diss the stein
They are an awesome band :kickass:

My mother likes opeth,metallica and morbid angel but that's it. She's more into collective soul,stone temple pilots, alice in chains, and enya. I like all four of those so we both don't mind each others music for the most part.

My dad likes the jethro toll influences on opeth morninrise but I doubt he likes the vocals, he does not like metal music. When I was younger he would take my cds away when I did something wrong in school. I never liked school since day one so my cds were in paper bags often.

Hhahah

This makes me remember the time I was a freshman in college, and I was in the library researching and this older black man came up to me and started talking and flirting with me. He wanted to know what I was listening to (Hypocrisy) and he listened for a bit and acted like he liked and then wanted to see me again and go to his place. :erk:

I made sure to not go to that part of the library alone ever again.

Oh yeah my mother doesn't like Metal in general, my dad sometimes pretends he has an interest to look cool in front of my boyfriend, but I know he doesn't really either. They both think it's all about violence and brutality.

One of my bandmates got his girlfriend into Falconer and Children of Bodom. A few other people we know who aren't very metal-oriented also like Iced Earth and Symphony X. One of my good friends who's mostly into indie rock and emo even like Mortician. My mom wanted to hear music similar to my band, and she actually enjoys "Master of Puppets" because of that (she even mentioned the faster tunes like "Battery").

From what I've seen, it's not always terribly hard to turn someone on to one or two bands. Eventually, they'll find you playing something that catches their ear. But getting someone into an entire scene, and moreover to the point that they're constantly checking out new bands like most of us here probably are, well that's something you can't really force upon others. If you've spent your entire life listening only to relatively mainstream bands, I think the concept of an underground scene (for any type of music) is kind of elusive and strange at first, maybe more so than the music itself.

offtopic

the other reason why i love metal - is that most of the metal songs are not about love...

~Neurotica said:
offtopic

the other reason why i love metal - is that most of the metal songs are not about love...

Agreed. Almost EVERY other genre of music is, and fuck, does that get annoying. It actually makes the emotion seem more vapid and hollow.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Add "I can't understand the words, you got any 50 cent?" to that list.

Haha, nah, people at my school grew out of that. I never try and force my idea of good metal on anyone, but I'll happily recommend them stuff if they're interested.

I think I've attempted to expose all of my friends to some form of metal, but it's generally not liked. My ex disliked anything I liked just because I liked it, even if it was black metal (which he liked at the time). My only success story would be making a boy in my school listen to a range of stuff on my Mp3 Player in Geography. He doesn't really listen to music, although he listens to some classical but eventually I got him to like Antimatter. That's as heavy as it gets I'm afraid. As for getting the Goth's to listen to some proper stuff, I wouldn't waste my time on them.

Heh. I'm old.

My family, to me, is my wife and kids. MY wife and I met, like 15 years ago, through grunge/alternative/indie. These days, she's like, "grown up" or whatever, and doesn't listen to whole tons of music, while my tastes have progressively gotten heavier, more intense, etc. (I was an 80s headbanger and always have been into "hard rock" of one kind or another). Anywho, she can only put up with so much "death vocals" before she starts complaining. I also don't like to play extreme metal and stuff for my toddler and infant, so it's pretty much a car thing for me.

And for me, "my school" is the school where I teach, though I've been subbing this year so don't have a home school. Right now I'm heading an In School Suspension room, glaring at kids, etc. So, yeah, when kids play me their music, I'm like, "Don't you have anything harder? I like real metal (or punk, as the case may be)." It amuses me.

Also, I want to mention: the vast majority of the time, when you get your mom or whatever to "like" Nile or Neurosis or freakin' Lacuna Coil, they don't really like it, they're just putting you on to make a connection.

What you really like is what you put on when no one else is around.

I break in normal people to metal with bands like:

Savatage
Dream Theater (Images and Words)
Nightwish

I break in wanna be metalheads with bands like:

Testament
Children of Bodom

Scott

Neith said:
My ex disliked anything I liked just because I liked it, even if it was black metal (which he liked at the time). .

Holy shit, my boyfriend is the SAME WAY!! Why are they like that??? He hates every band I like, and even if I introduce him to bands he would probably like otherwise, he says they suck. Especially if I like them =/

IMO metal is the ONLY music which exert influence. The babling about love and other shit is insipid.

Susperia said:
Holy shit, my boyfriend is the SAME WAY!! Why are they like that??? He hates every band I like, and even if I introduce him to bands he would probably like otherwise, he says they suck. Especially if I like them =/

Boyfriends notwithstanding, a lot of people don't have it in them to give you the satisfaction - can't acknowledge that you might have turned them on to something cool that they didn't already know about.

(M)aggoT said:
IMO metal is the ONLY music which exert influence. The babling about love and other shit is insipid.

yeah man because babbling about death and gore is fuckin hardcore unlike that gay love shit :headbang:

Spectacular Views said:
yeah man because babbling about death and gore is fuckin hardcore unlike that gay love shit :headbang:

I wish I could resist responding to every fucking gay reply you make.