express card ieee 1394 (firewire) issue

Hydrohell

how do clip woodz ?
Dec 27, 2006
To whom willing to help,

Let me explain what is happening. I recently bought a laptop from a friend, a nice laptop with 4 gig ram, intel T5800 @ 2.00ghz. This rig has the specs I need for what I do with audio, mainly for recording 1 to 8 tracks + moderate use of vst plugins. Altho, this computer didn't have Firewire inputs, so I bought a little SIIG 1394a and 1394b controller on expresscard bus. So, plugged this thing in, installed my audio controller driver (edirol Fa-101)...

And, I had a little surprise ; the audiocard don't give anything but garbage sound. Only noise, no sound played properly. It doesn't look like a samplerate issue, only a inadequate processing issue, which bugs me ALOT.

So I went on ebay, thinking that the controller might be the problem; so I bought another little controller, this time, it's a cheap ass generic ieee1394a controller on expresscard bus. When it arrived (today, november 28th) I plugged that little bitch with my FA-101. Another problem has emmerged, seems the samples are playing but at a retarded samplerate. So I tried to change the samplerates on the audio adapter and in the softwares (reaper and cubase studio 4 ). No luck, still the same retarded samplerate which seems to distort the sound and lower by 94 octaves the original pitch.

So I am really bugged, I checked for other drivers for ieee1394 controllers. No luck, there only seems to 1 driver to rule them all : "TEXAS INSTRUMENT IEEE 1394 CONTROLLER OHCI" v6.0 .

I experienced this problem on both Windows Vista X64 and 32bits. I will configure a dual boot for trying windows xp32 and x64. I have also tried on another laptop which have different configuration (still on vista, tho)

Has anybody experienced issues about EXPRESSCARD firewire controllers. Is there a fix. Should this bus be feared of us, people who use audiocontrollers ?

Well, I hope there's someone willing to help or who had this kind of issue and fixed before I throw this junk in the garbage (or recycle bin, for environnementalists)

/Chris

Hey! found this thread by browsing ... did you find a solution for the problems?
Im interested in using this method (firewire to expresscard adapter) as well!