External harddrives and daisy chaining through your interface...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I need to buy an external FW drive to use with the new Macbook Pro. Didn't realize until just now that only the 17" model has an Expresscard slot (FUCK!) so I have to run both my interface and the hard drive from the same FW bus. Looking at probably getting a 500gb Glyph GT 062 and running it in RAID 0 mode to increase the speed of the drive.

Now, my interface is FW400 only of course, and the HD is FW400 or FW800. The Macbook is FW800. Does it make the most sense to connect like this...

Interface > FW400 cable > Glyph > FW800 cable > Macbook?

I figure that way I'll get the best use of the FW800 speed on the drive since that's the only piece that's compatible. However, the stuff I've read seems to suggest most people go HD > Interface > Computer. Why does it make a difference and am I going to be totally fucked trying to record like max 20 tracks of audio simultaneously while writing to an external drive through one bus?

I have a FW400 port on my MacBook and run an external through my interface, and don't think it's ever caused me any problems. Technically that setup would work better for you since you can unleash the power of the FW800 that way. Don't think it really matters which device is daisychained to which.

I got a mbp back in 2007. I had problems getting the interface to recognize it was connected when I tried daisy chaining it like that. But I have done interface with FW and external hd usb 2.0 I have recorded 16 channels all at once and haven't had any problems. my external hd speed is 7200.

edit. it just seems to take a bit when I hit stop recording, to do it's thing.

I just tried it your way Adam. It really lags when I open a plugin or switch between plugins. so i guess you have your choice. Lag after you hit stop recording up to 10 seconds or more, or lag when you open or switch a plugin up (5-10 seconds) I used your exact chain descibed in your first post. Only I have Tiger and Logic 8. Don't know if that will make a difference, or not

You have to use only one type of fw in the same bus so, if you have a fw400 interface, you have to use the external disk at 400.
For example:
macbook -> fw400 -> interface -> fw400 -> external disk

I use mine like this. Initially I used Mac -> fw800 -> external disk and Mac -> fw400 -> interface but it creates pop and clicks during recording and playback. So I read on the m-audio forum that it was the problem.
The only way to use the fw800 is to have a fw800 interface like the rme800.
With fw400 it works good but sometimes you have some problem. I'm planning to buy an express card for a eSata connection.

Cheers guys! Any recommendations on which drive to buy? The Glyph GT 062 seems pretty sick but also pricey, not sure if I need something that hardcore.

Well, personally I think there are lots of cheaper alternatives, but people seem to have more mixed opinions and experiences on external hard drives than anything really. You basically need to get something and hope it works. You need to back up anyway, so you might want to get two units while you're at it.

Here's my setup: I have two Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition 500GBs that are equipped with connectors for FW800, FW400, USB2.0 and SATA, and I use the other one daisychained to my Focusrite, and have most plugin libraries, all my music, and other important files stored in there. I bought the other one used, with some warranty still left of course, and at the moment just use it to store Time Machine backups of my OS and I occasionally copy ALL THE CONTENT from WD number 1 in there via USB2.0, just in case number 1 blows into small bits. If I have to replace either one, which I will have to at some point because externals just don't last forever, I will lose no data this way. So far the WDs both have worked well enough, they aren't the quietest HDs, and the one I bought has burnt one LED from its front panel (which is weird because LEDs should last for like 10 years), but I'm generally pleased with them. They look pretty sexy too.

Here's also something to look at; this LaCie model is widely used in professional applications, at least around here, and it has the ins you need:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11156

For both my PowerBook G4 and PowerMac G5 I connect them like: computer->interface->glyph

Nope, not a single problem related to that at all. When I had Saffire 26io/8Pre/ADA8000 going I could do 24 tracks on my PBG4 at live shows all the time with no hiccups or issues.

Awesome, I grabbed a Glyph 050q 500gb drive, so stoked for this new rig! I noticed Glyph make some seriously convenient looking bus powered portable drives that I considered but bus power is just another thing sucking FireWire bandwidth :/ would be really nice if that was a viable option though.

I think the most appealing thing to me about Glyph HDD's is the internal power supply - so sick of the goddamn power brick from my Seagate! (though that's mostly from going back and forth from college all the time - but still, for any portability just having to bring the drive and a standard IEC power cable is a plus!)