Ezdrummer Test

If you've got enough patience, you can remove the samples that come with EZ Drummer, and put in your own set - you just have to use exactly the same file names as the samples you're replacing, make sure you have the same number of samples as the original (or use a couple twice with different names), and make sure you know which preset you're replacing.

That actually makes it better for me than DFHS - I program my drums in another program and export them as MIDI, so I can just use EZ Drummer to seperate each part of the kit onto it's own track, humanize the track, and use whatever samples I want. It makes the whole process really painless, because you literally just have to add EZ Drummer as a soft synth, there's no setting up involved at all.

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
That actually makes it better for me than DFHS - I program my drums in another program and export them as MIDI, so I can just use EZ Drummer to seperate each part of the kit onto it's own track, humanize the track, and use whatever samples I want. It makes the whole process really painless, because you literally just have to add EZ Drummer as a soft synth, there's no setting up involved at all.

Steve

Fine i use drumagog for replacing samples, but otherwise, that's the same way i use dfhs.

cobhc said:
Fine i use drumagog for replacing samples, but otherwise, that's the same way i use dfhs.

That's kinda missing my point. If you use DFHS, you already have a better selection of samples and don't need to replace them; whereas with EZ Drummer you don't - for example you get 4 rock bass drums that you can't really use for metal tracks. I think one of the biggest criticisms of it so far is the lack of kits and samples.

Using EZ Drummer and then Drumagog just strikes me as an unnecessary waste of clock cycles - same goes with DFHS and Drumagog. What's the point of using a progam meant to add realism to MIDI drum tracks, and then replacing those samples again anyway? Every instance of Drumagog is a good 10% of my CPU - which I can avoid simply by renaming a few files. Seems like quite a good idea to me.

Steve

Actually, IMHO, there is a point in using drumagog afterwards. In the clip I posted yesterday ...
http://freewebs.com/sw1tch/drums_new.mp3
http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=4148200

I used some ez samples and afterwards I used drumagog for the snare, to blend it with Andy's snare sample. For the kick Instead of using drumagog I used 2 tracks - the ez kick one and and the Andy kick one. I then added a low pass and a hi pass filter and ended up with a pretty nice kick that has the ez sample's low end and the Andy sample's click. Our drummer was really impressed with the sound :)

What bothers me most is the crash sound, ez drummer introduces some weird pattern of humanizing to it and your left to choose between the robotic repetitiveness of a track with no humanizing and the strange ksh-ksh-kash-ksh-kash-ksh-ksh patter of ez drummer.

Shadow_Walker said:
What bothers me most is the crash sound, ez drummer introduces some weird pattern of humanizing to it and your left to choose between the robotic repetitiveness of a track with no humanizing and the strange ksh-ksh-kash-ksh-kash-ksh-ksh patter of ez drummer.

I guess that's why that product is called EZ and the other one is called Superior ... :heh:

Shadow_Walker said:
...I used some ez samples and afterwards I used drumagog for the snare, to blend it with Andy's snare sample. For the kick Instead of using drumagog I used 2 tracks - the ez kick one and and the Andy kick one...

The blend dial in Drumagog is just a wet/dry mix, it's just the same as having two tracks and turning down one and turning the other up. It doesn't do anything else. So you could just have the snare on two tracks like you have the kick, and adjust the levels to suit - and you'd have more control over the sound that way too. You're essentially doing the same thing with both the snare and the kick, except the snare is using a shitload more processing power and giving you a lot less options.

The whole reason I pointed out you can change the samples in EZ Drummer is becasue it means you can do whatever blending/mixing/eq'ing etc. you want, and just put them straigt into EZ Drummer as a default - so you don't have to faff about with multiple tracks and Drumagog in your actual mix.

Steve

Well, I agree. :)

..uhm did anyone hear my track? :saint: Is it at least decent? Advice, other than get rid of the cymbals?

Shadow_Walker said:
Well, I agree. :)

..uhm did anyone hear my track? :saint: Is it at least decent? Advice, other than get rid of the cymbals?

Yeah, i just heard it...

I dont like the cymbals and the ride, they sound too, umh, non-metal.. :p but i gotta tell you, i really like the kick on it!! nice and fat... yet clear, would like to hear it with some guitars really... but on it's own, it sounds good yeah!

Much appreciated :) Just backed up our drummer's opinion and my suspicions. So you guys suggest using dfh superior ?

Black neon bob said:
Yeah, i just heard it...

I dont like the cymbals and the ride, they sound too, umh, non-metal.. :p but i gotta tell you, i really like the kick on it!! nice and fat... yet clear, would like to hear it with some guitars really... but on it's own, it sounds good yeah!
Well, I changed the cymbal, cropped it a bit and added a small fade in so that its sound becomes a bit smoother. Also now there are guitars and bass...they are far from great, I guess, but I added them so that I can hear the drums in a mix. I'm mainly interested in the drums for now. Here you go:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=4191359

feedback is always appreciated :)

Well...the kick is from ez but i've also added the Andy kick sample from which I left only the click, the snare is also the Andy sample since I failed to achieve a good sound with those from ez :ill: The ride is again - ez drummer, and so are the overhead and room mic. Come to think of it - yeah, I guess it's not completely an ez drummer test. Any comments on the mp3 would be great though :)