F & J Bass Tone

ArtisanBass

I like a nice salad......
Nov 13, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.artisanmetal.com
Cuatro was a groundbreaking metal album for me when it came out. Especially as a bass player. The bass was up front but the album was still heavy. I wonder if you recall how much you compressed the bass or Jason's personality for that tone. Or any other thoghts you might have. I know he is a very heavy hitter. Wondering how that translates in the studio. Was he using his good old SVTII? I also dig Drift as well. I think his sound was a bit more crunchy on that one. Of course the blending of all the other instruments come into play I know. Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Jason is an awesome bass player. As you say, he's a heavy hitter, plays with fingers. I didn't compress the bass any more than usual..in fact his tone (that comes from the fingers) was so powerful and even it made my job easier.

I can't remember what bass amps we used on Cuatro. I know we had got two new guitar rigs for Mike and Ed on Cuatro. I believe we borrowed an old blue face SVT from Jason Newsted on one of the albums though.