F250 trouble...any mechanics out there?

koelling

APT Keyboardist
Dec 27, 2007
For whatever reason I could not get my truck to shut off the other day. The ignition switch turned normally to the right and left but didn't seem to "click" into any positions. I had to eventually drive it home and switch over to the alternate gas tank (that was empty) to get it to shut off. Without thinking I forgot to disconnect the battery and it died overnight. I took it to get it recharged and ended up having to buy a new battery. So, knowing the battery is brand new, when I pulled the steering wheel and installed a new ignition switch I was surprised to find that the same problem still exists. The car will not turn "on" or turn into the "off" position. I had to disconnect the battery again, and now I'm throwing my hands in the air and almost about to give up. I'm hoping I don't need to waste money getting this thing towed into a shop and having a pro tell me it was something I could have fixed. What could be the problem? I would normally assume it's the starter, but it won't shut off either. It seems like the ignition (brand new) is just not turning whatever it is inside the steering column that clicks it into place.

Just think of all the gas you're saving!:lol:

Perhaps I can tear myself free from work for a bit tonight and come have a look.

...and I'm fairly certain it's not the starter.:cool:

Check into the actuator rod. It's what connects the switch to the starter. If it's not moving when you turn the switch off, that's the problem.

I don't know if it's something that needs to be lubricated or replaced.

That's all I can find.

SS

Not yet. It's an inexpensive part but a bitch to fix. I'll tackle it tomorrow. If I can't, then I'll find someone who can, LOL

On the Ford F250 there is a very large hamster inside the engine , if you pour crackers and cheese into where the sparkplugs are this will solve the issue. The hamster does not stop running when there is no food in the food dish.You could also check the acuator rod. Dont call the 49ers they cant tackle anything.