Facade

Taotrac

Aug 30, 2006
What is the deal with this word?
Every metal band in the world is now using this word in a song/interveiw.
Dark Tranquilllity used it like a year ago in their lyrics.
Disturbed used it as a song title and in the lyrics.
Corey Taylor said it in a slipknot interveiw about ona the new songs, so the word will prolly be in that song too.

I think bands really do listen to each other and do stuff the others do, like how trends are at school. Its really funny tho that always those trends really do seem to start with Dark Tranquillity. (As how trends in school always seem to start with something the 'nerds' do.) Dark Tranquillity invented the first sounds metal-core and whatever core you can name, and look how popular that music is now. (I personally think they did, mostly because of the song Punish My Heaven, and I think that that song has the most "clearest" form of metalcore and what would later sound like it, in certain parts of the song, mainly the intro, more than any other band in the world at the time.) They were the first to release a album under the "Gothenburg Metal/ Melodic Death Metal" genre. They were the first to release a popular album in the "european metal" phase america went through back in 2005. As I Lay Dying sound is pretty much copied from peices of DT's early music, and they are ona the first metal core bands. (Even the band themselves credit DT as a huge influence on the sound they have). And look how popular In Flames is, and DT created In Flames old sound. (Anyone realize that Mikeal Stanne DID create some of the music sound on the first DT album, and also created the sounds of the first In Flames album? It doesnt seem like Anders did shit.)

I personally think that DT heavily changed the world, without getting much credit for it because so many bands after them became more popular. They changed it from classic metal like Metallica and stuff, and even newer bands like Opeth, to the new "metal-core" sound. But of coarse, everyone thinks bands like As I Lay Dying and shit created it. If you listen to DT, they really are the oldest band with any "core" influence if you ask me. Just they are way catchier and Micheals vocals have 1000000X more rythem than the stale growls of any core band...I mean there's probably some off band somewhere in the world that sounded a lil core back in 1990 but I have to say DT was the first to ever influence the sound. Cuz even the bands that Influenced DT sound 100% different from them...

Which kinda brings me to the sad conclusion that DT turned the world's metal into shit...and makes me wish Opeth would hurry up and influence some new band. I hate pretty much all metalcore and the way its written. Opeth are like the only true metal band with no core influences at all now =P.

I wish tho some band would also learn how to growl from Mikeal, his vocals are prolly the most catchiest thing of DT. No one can growl as catchy as him. Brittney Spears has nothing on Mikeals catchy growls. So many bands now just sound like "Rawr Rawr Rawr" in a stale monotone pattern. Like compare his vocals in Hedon to any metal song really. His vocals just roll out so rythemicly like he's a (actually talented) black person rapping almost, but with a growl.

Idk people, im bored and the DT threads are getting boring. Idk my metal history all that well, so correct me on anything if you feel the need. But i just decided to babel about some things i thought were interesting about DT and later forms of metal.

(Secret Wish: I wish Mikeal would cover some famous rap song. DT need a lil humour everynow and then, it works for them dispite their serious appearance, like the lego video. I could just hear him growling something like "Superman" or "Walk It Out" or some other really famous rap song).

I would argue it's French.

I thought of that, to be honest, but I reckon all the French words used in standard English are not really considered foreign words. It might be a nationalistic view, to be sure, but who am I to argue with that? I mean, the word via in English is in fact its Latin counterpart, but it's a tough argument to make.

I thought of that, to be honest, but I reckon all the French words used in standard English are not really considered foreign words. It might be a nationalistic view, to be sure, but who am I to argue with that? I mean, the word via in English is in fact its Latin counterpart, but it's a tough argument to make.
Don't worry. I would also argue that we are in fact in 1996. I don't know if it's because i'm hungry or heartbroken though.

Oh. Well, I'm sorry about that last part. It wasn't easy to see past your proud façade, you know?
Yes, yes, i know. A mighty dinner with souvlakia (or a dinner with mighty souvlakia?) took care of it though. ;)

Salamurhaaja said:
Oh, not greek then? As in Olympia Stadium?
I was thinking the same but then i wasn't sure. Wikipedia seems to agree with you.

Oh. Well, I'm sorry about that last part. It wasn't easy to see past your proud façade, you know?
Without any irony, you get extra points for 100% correct spelling
I think that's worth mentioning because the french "connaisseur" became "connoisseur" in english. How that a turned into an o.. who knows. Really makes me cringe

I guess 'stadium' has a greek derivation. but 'stadium' si latin :saint:

wikipedia says it comes from the greek word "stadion", which was a measure of length.
I guess it was stolen by the romans^^, didnt they actually have a fascination for ancient Greece?
At one point, most of the romans from riches families could speak greek, and the latin mythology has many things in common with the greek one.

Wikipedia said:
The word originates from the Greek word "stadion" (στάδιον), a Greek measure of length roughly 180 - 200m. The oldest known stadium is the one in Olympia, in western Peloponnese, Greece, where the Olympic Games of antiquity were held since 776 BC.

is the greek word there right? i cant read greek

is the greek word there right? i cant read greek
Yeah the greek word is right, it's actually still used today without the last letter.

wikipedia says it comes from the greek word "stadion", which was a measure of length.
I guess it was stolen by the romans^^, didnt they actually have a fascination for ancient Greece?
At one point, most of the romans from riches families could speak greek, and the latin mythology has many things in common with the greek one.
What i recall from my days in school is someone saying that the Romans might have conquered ancient Greece with arms, but we 'conquered' them with our civilisation. I don't know if it's a bit nationalistic as a point of view, but it definitely sounds cool.

Well, before Rome reigned the whole Mediterranean sea, Greece and its colonies did pretty much the same, except that they weren't one big empire but many little city states. Greek was the main language in the Mediterranean before Latin evolved as a mixture of Greek and ancient Italian dialects. So of course Greek culture had a huge influence on Rome. That is why both peoples got along so well culturally (politically it was different of course, but Greek city states warred among themselves all the time as well and Rome had strong Greek allies i.e. Pergamum which in the end covered the whole area of modern Turkey before it was given as a present to Rome when their King Attalus III. had no sons).

Simplified version of "How the Greek came to be in the English language":

Greek + Italian dialects (Etruscan etc.) -> Latin
Latin + Germanic celtic dialects -> German
Latin + Gallic celtic dialects -> French
German + French + Scandinavian celtic dialects -> English

Yes, I did write all that without having a single look at wikipedia.

You make it out as if every language can be traced back to latin or subsequently, greek, which I think is pretty thin ice. As for german, Im not sure it can be based on latin, there are influences of course but Im pretty sure it doesnt go back to latin.

and there are lots of words that comes from french in english because at one point, england was dominated by the french. All the rich people spoke french at that time, and official things like justice,... were done in french. But the farmers and peasants still spoke english, that is why animals names for example come from old english without any french influence.