Face Off 5: Katatonia vs. Opeth

Who will it be?

• Total voters
without a doubt, Katatonia. Opeth might give you a goose bump when you first heard of them and maybe Opeth would inspire you to write a song or two but Katatonia made the music that would compell you listen everyday, like Brave Murder Day, Discouraged Ones, Last fair deals gone down, these are definitely my desert island albums

Opeth for me and though I like Katatonia quite a lot I think Blakkheim should just work on Diabolical masquerade and leave the band be/let others write songs.

Katatonia all the way, not even close. For me, they have put out consistently excellent material, and heavily influenced my own songwriting. With Opeth, I love Orchid, Still Life, Watershed, and Damnation, but all of their other albums do absolutely nothing for me.

If I had been asked this 10 years ago, it would have been Opeth. Right now it's Katatonia by a landslide. I don't want to say I "drifted away" from Opeth's music because usually my taste in music expands with the years (rather than changing completely) and I still love everything from "Orchid" to "Still Life" (and I like "Blackwater Park", "Deliverance", and "Damnation").

I guess they just went in a musical direction away from what originally drew me to them and their music stopped being emotionally appealing to me even though they are excellent musicians. With the loss of Lopez and then Peter it also just seemed different.

Katatonia has managed to expand and add to their music without losing the Katatonia "essence" that originally drew me emotionally to their lyrics, music, and general atmosphere, which I think is pretty cool.

At the risk of being unpopular, the last two Katatonia and Opeth albums have disappointed me. Are their golden eras over? Compare 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' to 'Night is the new Day' and 'My Arms' to 'Watershed'. All quality albums but there's an x factor missing in the new releases. Do you know what I mean or am I going senile in my old age?

If I had been asked this 10 years ago, it would have been Opeth. Right now it's Katatonia by a landslide. I don't want to say I "drifted away" from Opeth's music because usually my taste in music expands with the years (rather than changing completely) and I still love everything from "Orchid" to "Still Life" (and I like "Blackwater Park", "Deliverance", and "Damnation").

I guess they just went in a musical direction away from what originally drew me to them and their music stopped being emotionally appealing to me even though they are excellent musicians. With the loss of Lopez and then Peter it also just seemed different.

Katatonia has managed to expand and add to their music without losing the Katatonia "essence" that originally drew me emotionally to their lyrics, music, and general atmosphere, which I think is pretty cool.
Well said.
At the risk of being unpopular, the last two Katatonia and Opeth albums have disappointed me. Are their golden eras over? Compare 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' to 'Night is the new Day' and 'My Arms' to 'Watershed'. All quality albums but there's an x factor missing in the new releases. Do you know what I mean or am I going senile in my old age?
I know what you mean, I feel the same to a lesser extent. I still like both bands' recent releases, but not as much as the ones before.

Same here, I can understand you very well, though NITND is still growing on me...

^ this button
multiquote_off.gif
is there for a reason you know ;)