Face Off: 1. Megadeth vs. Metallica

Who is the most m/ worthy of them all?

• Total voters
It's quite self-explanatory, come on. Metallica is a very popular band, so many people are likely to get in touch with Metallica's music. Once someone gets into it, he/she might get tempted to dig deeper into heavy/heavier more obscure music and discover other bands he/she might not have discovered if he/she hadn't gotten into heavy music through Metallica first. Hence, Metallica was his/her gateway band.

Capiche? :cool:

Of course I know all of that, I'm not stupid (not saying you called me stupid, no hard feelings) but what I tried to say is that people usually this term with a negative connotation, meaning it's a band for beginners and I think it's bullshit. You didn't really understand what I tried to say.

MEGADETH! no competition. killing is my bussiness-countdown are all amazing. especially peace sells, so far...so what, and rust in peace. sure risk sucked, but they went right back to thrashing unlike metallica. even with 'tallicas first 4 albums, megadeths first 4 smother metallicas. endgame destroys death magnetic, and hell, even united abominations was pretty damn good. metallica is far overatted, there best work was done with the help of mustaine. to put all this into simpler terms... DAVE MUSTAINE DESTROYS METALLICA :heh:

Of course I know all of that, I'm not stupid (not saying you called me stupid, no hard feelings) but what I tried to say is that people usually this term with a negative connotation, meaning it's a band for beginners and I think it's bullshit. You didn't really understand what I tried to say.
Oh I see, that's a wrong way to use the term i.m.o. Iron Maiden was my 'gateway' band and I still totally love them.

Anyway, yeah, for some it might have this negative connotation, not in my case though.

Metallica might be a band for beginners, as in simply being a good starting point, but it doesn't have to be a negative thing. It's just that some of their records are more accessible to ears that are used to 'mainstream' music. Doesn't say anything about the actual quality of the music. There's great, high quality 'accessible' music out there.

Haha. All of Kirks solos are pentatonic wah wah nonsense. So bland, but to an untrained ear, they sound cool.

Well, that's just a matter of taste. I know what scales Kirk plays in, and that he sticks to the same thing much of the time, but I find much more emotion and diversity in his playing then in Mustaine's or any of his 'hired gun' lead guitar players (although Friedman did some cool stuff on Rust in Peace). I thought he did some great stuff on Master and Justice.

So, Metallica all the way. Dave Mustaine wrote the worst song and made the worst video I have ever witnessed, 'Sweating Bullets'. For the love of god, I would rather be beaten into a coma a by a gang of drunken midgets then hear that song again. Of course, Metallica is responsible for some truly awful music as well, such as Ronnie, Enter Sandman, or Invisible Kid (St. Anger BLOWS), blah.

oh i see what you are saying

well i for one don't consider it a bad thing, if anything it's a good thing, expands your taste :D.

Whether Metallica are the right band or not to be a 'gateway' band, they certainly were for me. I have no idea why, because I got into them in the early 90s when there was heaps of other stuff available, but they introduced me to real metal. I never listen to them now though. But it's funny, they were definitely a gateway band for me.

They were my gateway band as well.
When I was 11, I noticed the Until it Sleeps video on MTV, I thought it was awesome (and still do... And yes, I like Load, I don't care how awesome it is to hate it).
So I got Load, then got Black Album, then got the first 4 albums in the library, was a bit shocked :p (mom!!! they used to have LONG HAIR!!!)
Did some research on the genre, got Anthrax, Slayer, Motley Crue (didn't like), Motorhead and Sepultura from the library, and by the time I was 12 I really was into thrash/speed metal, had built up a collection of 15 cds, and my first Metallica shirt :)
I started listening to a metal show on the radio, and got into other metal genres. When I was 13 I bought my first Anathema album (Alternative 4) and black metal album (Ancient Rites - Fatherland).
That's 12 years ago now :p

Metallica - that is also my fave live band ever together with Slayer - and maybe The Cure.
But don't ask me what Metallica released after the black album. It has non sense for me.
While I think that Megadeth, at least until the recording of 'Cryptic writings', did better than Metallica after the black album.