Which do you prefer?

• Discouraged Ones

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Votes: 32 60.4%

• Total voters

Brave.Archangel

Inside the City of Glass
Lots of people have been posting face off's between bands, so I thought I'd jump in with a face off between two albums... from the same band! ..our beloved Katatonia.

I chose these two particular albums as they seem to be the most highly regarded of the clean vocal Katatonia era. Discouraged Ones was such a huge leap for the band in so many ways, and at the same time LFDGD was also a breakthrough for them in many ways. Overall, I feel like most people have either of these two albums as their favorite katatonia album, so I thought this could be an interesting poll/discussion.

Post your vote!:kickass:

I went with LFDGD because I think that it is simply a flawless album from beginning to end, but so is DO. LFDGD, to me, has some timeless classic hits, and has more of a hard hitting fist-in-your-face effect, whereas DO sort of plays out hypnotically yet still catchy. Both worthy choices.

Even though DO was a step towards another brilliant style for Katatonia, I think their defining moment will and always be LFDGD. I dismissed the album upon hearing it when it came out(all I had was BMD by them, so I didn't know what to expect)...but I rediscovered it a few years later, and not only was it the most beautiful album I've ever heard, but it definitely changed my life. So...obviously...

LFDGD was a hands down for me. Yes DO was were they started their newer sound, LFDGD just was a more a complete album.

Discouraged Ones for old times sake. you can never beat that atmosphere.

LFDGD is kick ass, but way more modern. i guess you guys know what i mean

LFDGD hands down. It was the first album i got from them(dispossession was the first song I had ever heard from them), its just an all around beautiful album. Also to me it feels "warm" which is a stark contrast to DO's dead bleak feel. All in all YES I LOVE ME SOME LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN.

Discouraged Ones! Although LFDGD has some great songs (Chrome, Teargas, Tonight's Music, The Future Of Speech, and Sweet Nurse), it also had several songs I did not like or found a little weird (albeit creative and unique). With Discouraged Ones, there really were not any weak songs (even love Relention, which apparently Jonas & Anders do not like)! I love the Cure, and thought that Discouraged Ones had a much bigger Cure influence than LFDGD did. Discouraged Ones holds a special place in my heart (along with Alternative 4 by Anathema) as it helped me get out of my closed-minded rut of only listening to underground metal and reminded me that I also loved actual singing, and now I am very open-minded and will give any band, whatever the genre, a chance!

One album is an amazingly bleak emotional experience. The other is, for me, the greatest album ever recorded.

I voted Last Fair Deal Gone Down.