Is Viva Emptiness better than Last Fair Deal Gone Down?

Portisfreak said:
Well, noone's allowed to post any mp3 links within this forum. If you want to prelisten to some songs, have a look at WinMX or Kazaa for songs like "Deadhouse", "I break", "For my Demons", "Black Sessions" /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
You will find complete Track lists at http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/k/katatonia/[/QUOTE]

thanx guys, will hit Audiognome now!!

One Kill Wonder said:
This band seems to be getting better with every album, whereas most bands get worse. I have not yet yeard Viva Emptiness (although I just bought it off ebay). If they topped Last Fair Deal Gone Down then they are truly gifted musicians because LFDGD is in my opinion one of the greatest albums ever written. So much emotion, so much feeling in the music. Katatonia are amazing.

pah! and is god holier than jesus?

Fist off, greetings to all being a new member here. The reason I registered was Katatonia, a band which I have only recently discovered, along with Opeth, they are one of the best bands I have heard in recent years.

IMHO, LFDGD is still the best Katatonia album I have heard ( and I have only heard Tonight's Decision, LFDGD & Viva Emptiness) having said that Viva Emptiness is a stunning album, it get's better with each playing, but as LFDGD is now one of my favourite albums, it was always going to be a tough act to follow. I prefer the dark melancholy of LFDGD and it's haunting melody's, which are not quite as evident on Viva.

Can all of you long term Katatonia freaks recommend the next album of theirs to investigate which would be nearest to LFDGD?
Cheers
P.F.D

Prepare for Damnation said:
Fist off, greetings to all being a new member here. The reason I registered was Katatonia, a band which I have only recently discovered, along with Opeth, they are one of the best bands I have heard in recent years.

IMHO, LFDGD is still the best Katatonia album I have heard ( and I have only heard Tonight's Decision, LFDGD & Viva Emptiness) having said that Viva Emptiness is a stunning album, it get's better with each playing, but as LFDGD is now one of my favourite albums, it was always going to be a tough act to follow. I prefer the dark melancholy of LFDGD and it's haunting melody's, which are not quite as evident on Viva.

Can all of you long term Katatonia freaks recommend the next album of theirs to investigate which would be nearest to LFDGD?
Cheers
P.F.D

Hey man I feel exactly the same as you
only I haven't heard Tonight's decision, how do you find it, it's supposed to be more melancholy thhan LFDGD, I will check it out soon, too much to listen to and Viva is taking up too much time, Damnation will replace that in one week:D

as said for many times...i think you wouldnt find 2 albums of katatonia that compare together. But in this case: there are 4 more songs released on the "Teargas EP" (March 4, Sulfur) and "Tonights Music EP" (Help me disappear, Oh how I enjoy the light) that depend on the sound of LFDGD.
So, if you like Opteh, you should also listen to Katatonias "Brave Murder Day" album.

@Schism: Yep, Tonights Decsion seems to be much more "hopeless" than LFDGD, where LFDGD is a very progressive album. The most melancholic and, maybe katatonic album, is "Discouraged ones" in my eyes.

Schism said:
Hey man I feel exactly the same as you
only I haven't heard Tonight's decision, how do you find it, it's supposed to be more melancholy thhan LFDGD, I will check it out soon, too much to listen to and Viva is taking up too much time, Damnation will replace that in one week:D

Tonights Decision is v good but I feel that it's a warm up for LFDGD, a bloody good one though!!

IMHO I'd rate them

1/ LFDGD
2/ VE
3/ TD

Re: Opeth, I was lucky enough to get a full promo of Damnation off e bay last week.......prepare yourself for something very different, check out "In my time of need" loads of Mellotron, stunning!

Portisfreak said:
as said for many times...i think you wouldnt find 2 albums of katatonia that compare together. But in this case: there are 4 more songs released on the "Teargas EP" (March 4, Sulfur) and "Tonights Music EP" (Help me disappear, Oh how I enjoy the light) that depend on the sound of LFDGD.
So, if you like Opteh, you should also listen to Katatonias "Brave Murder Day" album.

@Schism: Yep, Tonights Decsion seems to be much more "hopeless" than LFDGD, where LFDGD is a very progressive album. The most melancholic and, maybe katatonic album, is "Discouraged ones" in my eyes.

Teargass EP & BMD it is then!! thanks. P.F.D

Spoon said:
This foreign exchange student in my school didnt even know what rap was until she got to america, and i asked her if she was from heaven. Europe = Metal
:lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny, hehe...

I received my copy yesterday, but I can't say yet if I like it better than LFDGD, because Katatonia albums grow really slowly on me, so I'm gonna play it til I drop and then see which one I like best :).

NP: Viva Emptiness

I think that Viva Emptiness is much better than LFDGD, only becuase it has more of a soaring tone to it. It isn't as low in the mix, this one is really open.
Its hard to top off that feeling that I got when I first popped LFDGD & heard Disposession, that guitar riff sent chills up my spine.

You all talk crap I'm afraid as each individual is to themselves, quite fankly the majority say that discouraged ones is the the best album, I agree, melodic metal was this bands forte, I like Viva but it is a bit week in a few songs. I love katatonia fro the day I heard "tonights Decision", I only feel sadness that they have chickened out of there sound, what a bunch of idiots OI JONAS WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, YOU ARE NOT TOOL! (even though I do live Viva, I am expressing a point that I liked Katatonia's sound much more.

Also the production on Viva in parts is terrible, the drums seem to be left out, and the darkness is lost. I am sorry for such an honest point that has to be made, but listen to Discouraged ones and tell me, is Viva really the best?

Ok my last message although written when I was a bit drunk says one thing.

I Only just bought the akbum 2day as I had downloaded all the MP3's, the quality of the audio is so much better. It's 10 times warmer and clearer, I think that those worried about MP3's might need to take a rain check

Her own Pride said:
Ok my last message although written when I was a bit drunk says one thing.

I Only just bought the akbum 2day as I had downloaded all the MP3's, the quality of the audio is so much better. It's 10 times warmer and clearer, I think that those worried about MP3's might need to take a rain check

Depends on the bitrate, I rip at no less than 192 kbps and can notice no difference (I have compared on numerous systems)

Although 192 for MP3 is ok but the warmth on my speakers disappears, however being a trained Sound Engineer probably makes me more of an audiophile in that sense,

but Discouraged ones still rings true darkness in music unlike anything else.

But I have to say one thing, in SLEEPER where the hell do the drums disappear to in the heavy chorus, someone lost control of the drums in the mixing of this album I feel, which doesn't do their new drummer enough justice, other than the loss of the drums its still a good album, just not discouraged.

I think the point is that 'Discouraged...' was a breakthrough and, due to the fact, we all have fondness for that record. :)

Anyway, in my opinion it's really hard not to follow the progress they made since that time. Instead of that raw discouraged sound, they seem to bet on dark lyrics, which emphasize much more against the new 'clear' sound. ;)

Howgh!