Is Viva Emptiness better than Last Fair Deal Gone Down?

Portisfreak said:
I think its better than LFDGD, too.
Since Discouraged ones, i missed this monotone sound, this flooding that will always get you to listen the hole album, no need for switching any songs, it was just a growing deprssion, desperation...
And now: With Viva emptiness its back! You listen to songs, but in exception of one or two tracks, it sounds boring...but if you listen on, two, three, four times, you get all these facettes of emotions kept in their music, and the album grows with every listening.

this album have no MONOTONE sound i may not switch any songs but i fell no depression in viva the only thing you can feel is anger and it does not suit katatonia i want monotone sound back
and of course LFDGD is better than that they are getting worse and worse like other bands and also they gave the signals of their change in LFDGD (this is not a musical change they have changed their mind) besides i love this album too except premonition and omerta,my favoruite songs are inside the city of glass(a katatonic song),sleeper(other katatonic song from VE),evidence,criminals,burn the rememberence,complicity

After the Tonight's Decision debate, I decided to sample some tracks
I actually love what I heard, and am now craving it, I will hunt it down soon!!
The tracks I heard were
Strained--- excellent
Had to (leave)---not bad
I am nothing---very good
A darkeness coming --- this was the one that one me over

I decided to sample " Saw you Drown" off DO, and man does this song bore me, is it just me??
I will sample other tracks, but just from this one song I don't think DO will be my cup of Tea!!

thanx for the help with TD though!!

I personally think LFDGD was better. More sadness, more emotion, more memorable lyrics. That is not to say that VE is not a BADASS album- which it DEFINATELY is. I just think that songs such as 'Dispossession' 'Teargas' 'The Future of Speach' and 'Tonight's music' are better than most of the tracks on Viva.

Portisfreak said:
Since Discouraged ones, i missed this monotone sound, this flooding that will always get you to listen the hole album, no need for switching any songs, it was just a growing deprssion, desperation...
And now: With Viva emptiness its back!
Exactly! Thats why i dislike the new one :( sorry. LFDGD was the best. and because of viva ill be afraid for other future albums.

yv said:
I think the point is that 'Discouraged...' was a breakthrough and, due to the fact, we all have fondness for that record. :)

Yeah and The Number of the Beast was a breakthrough as well. And that one is good.
but i understand you...

Mariner said:
Yeah and The Number of the Beast was a breakthrough as well. And that one is good.
but i understand you...

Hey Mariner, are you a fortune-teller too? Great example! ;)

I grow up with Irons and have all their records. Now I got bored with them a little. For me '7th son..' was the best Iron's record - you may find strange (as for Iron Maiden) dark depth there. They took advantage of the breakthrough and improved with the time.

But it doesn't change my point of view, it's on the contrary I would even say... Well, we all have different views to the fact that sth has changed in Katatonia's music...
I think it's much better when music is 'controversial' somewhat than when it gets any attention at all... And we have grounds for arguments... :)

Portisfreak said:
as said for many times...i think you wouldnt find 2 albums of katatonia that compare together. But in this case: there are 4 more songs released on the "Teargas EP" (March 4, Sulfur) and "Tonights Music EP" (Help me disappear, Oh how I enjoy the light) that depend on the sound of LFDGD.
So, if you like Opteh, you should also listen to Katatonias "Brave Murder Day" album.

@Schism: Yep, Tonights Decsion seems to be much more "hopeless" than LFDGD, where LFDGD is a very progressive album. The most melancholic and, maybe katatonic album, is "Discouraged ones" in my eyes.

:headbang:
This EP songs were the best for me on LFDGD era, sorry I dont have them :cry:

:devil: March 4 :devil:

LFDGD grew really slowly on me, but I'd have to say it's my favorite album now. Haven't heard VE yet, but judging by the samples and one fully downloaded song, I'd say I like LFDGD more, but that isn't a very accurate or reliable judgment.

regarding Opeth: I heard Damnation was going to be all accoustic or "softer" than Deliverance. Anyone want to clarify this for me? Thanks.

Well, I finally received my copy of "VE" in the mail today, and after many listens, I must say......this album is somewhat dull, at best.

The first tune is simply amazing. Everything after that is somewhat....pedestrian, for lack of a better term. Very monotonous & repetive (much like "Discouraged Ones", only without the emotion).

And the lack of "Katatonia emotion" IS evident. That dark, depressive melancholy is only here minimally. This is not the Katatonia that we're used to. If you wanted a "heavier" Kat, you've got it!

Hopefully, after many more listens it will grow on me. But as of now, my fav Katatonia tune remains the immortal SULFER!

Agreed, the fact that Sulfur was relegated to a EP is criminal. (pun intended) As for VE, I received it today, and it will take a while to find all the traces of Katatonia under the noise, but they are still there and often makes for a compelling hybrid of the previous albums' fatalism and the newfound aggression...

At the moment I'm missing Anders's leads too much to state VE is better than previous efforts, but here's still hoping this will change...

my dying groom said:
At the moment I'm missing Anders's leads too much to state VE is better than previous efforts, but here's still hoping this will change...

I agree. Also missing is their distinctive riffing/melody.

As of now, I rate the CDs as follows:

1) LFDGD
2) Tonight's Decision
3) Brave murder Day
4) Discouraged Ones
5) Viva E

I can´t say if VE is better or not...it´s simply different, really different from LFDGD and, IMO, in a way closer to TD.
I think the sound is more dissonant and less melodic and the lyrics are also more prosaic and less "lyrical"and personal, but on the whole the album is still great!

I think I'm finally getting somewhere with this album. I started out liking Ghost of the Sun, Wealth and Evidence, and not caring for the rest. Now I've been able to digest most songs besides Sleeper and One Year from Now. I'll see how this compares to the other albums after a month or two.