Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Green Tea

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2004
Year ago the first album I got from them was Brave Murder Day. One of the best albums I've ever heard and definitly on my top ten list. Then knowing that they changed styles I went and got Viva Emptiness. At first I shrugged at it but then I realized it's greatness. It freakin rocks and brilliant music. Then I got Tonight's Decision. Nearly as good as Viva Emptiness and has alot of interesting mystery to it.
Then the next album I got was Last Fair Deal...I don't get it. It sounds a boring version of Tonight's Decision. I have tried to get into it and I don't get it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Personally, I do like it. The songs Teargas and Sweet Nurse are worth the money by itself.

I didnt get into it for a while either, it's one of those ones that takes quite a few listens to completely hear it all, which is when I think you've got a good album.

I've just metioned this album in my response to the Worst Album poll, but I'll summarise here. For me, 'LFDGD' is my favourite album from any genre. It was the second album of Katatonia's that I got and to this day the emotion, production, lyrical content, and overall atmosphere leaves me breathless.

Quite simply an amazing release. By the way, Daniel's drumming is absurdly good on this album.

Green Tea said:
Year ago the first album I got from them was Brave Murder Day. One of the best albums I've ever heard and definitly on my top ten list. Then knowing that they changed styles I went and got Viva Emptiness. At first I shrugged at it but then I realized it's greatness. It freakin rocks and brilliant music. Then I got Tonight's Decision. Nearly as good as Viva Emptiness and has alot of interesting mystery to it.
Then the next album I got was Last Fair Deal...I don't get it. It sounds a boring version of Tonight's Decision. I have tried to get into it and I don't get it.

:yow: :lol: but...
Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a masterpiece...!

but it sure is for experienced listeners...
if i had listened to this 4 years ago, i'd kicked it into the trash...

My first one, and I still like it a lot. maybe not _the best_ but close. I like Discouraged Ones and Viva about as much, so I guess they are my top3.

I'll say my list Again
- Most Loved-
Brave Murder Day
Discouraged Ones
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Dance Of December Souls
Tonight's Desicion
Viva Emptiness
-Least Loved-

The First Katatonia song i heared was "Teargas", so it's expected i'd love this album.
But listen, until DO Jonas played on the drums, and Jonas know's to play on a guitar, a bass guitar and drums. He knows it all, so he's only average in all the instruments. When Daniel joined, you could hear the difference. the (I don't know how you'll say it so i'll write in hebrew: שמיניות) on the snair is excelent. sure, you wont hear any double-bass, any more, but you can here the change in the drums. It is so wierd - the music are happy and the lyrucs are so sad. You have to listen to it after some times, not only once. Then you'll see how this album is so genius.

"The Future of Speech" is the best thing Katatonia has ever put on tape, in my honest opinion. And LFDGD is my second favorite Katatonia album behind Tonight's Decision.

Erik said:
Funny how that works, because three years ago or so (around release date) I liked it a lot, now I can't even stand listening to a whole song off the album -- I just tried. It totally does not work with me anymore. I still listen to every other Katatonia release regularly.
Excactly how I feel for Viva Emptiness.

Its funnyhow Katatonia works in me as well. I cant say that I have ever disliked anything by them, but I have periods of time where I wont listen to a cd by them for 6 mo. at a time. Then one day I put it in expecting it to have the same effect on me as it did 6 mo. before that and I get entirely different results. I listened to TD so much when my life seemed so unbearable that I wasnt sure I could listen to it sober, now it has all new meaning to me. There were a few years that everytime I listened to it the memories associated with it were so painful that I had to turn it off. Its a time thing for me. Try it again next year or in 6 months, it might be different for you then.

Popopopo... LFDGD is the shit... My fave right now after DO.
Passing bird, Sweet nurse, Disposession, Clean today, Teargas... Come on you gotta like it dude!

i still love it, it was the first album i heard by katatonia and i can always go back and listen to it and think its amazing

I don't particularly like one more album more than another... If I had to choose, I would say Viva Emptiness is the best. But, my favorites happen to be on other albums as well:
1. TearGas
2. Sweet Nurse
3. For My Deamons
4. Sleeper
5. Tonight's Music
6. Burn The Rememberance
7. Dispossession
8. A Premonition
9. Complicity
10. Will I Arrive

Those are my top 10... and they never seem to get old. However, I hope Katatonia does make more songs like these. The reason I enjoy these songs so much is because of the melodic harness... It's not just hard rock, but has strong flowing melodies. It's quite impressive. I have yet to purchase "Brave Yester Days," however, I doubt I will like it like I do these songs. ;)

Last fair deal was the first Katatonia album I bought. Teargas was the first Katatonia song I ever heard. To this day that song sends shivers down my spine and makes me feel worthless as a musician because I dont think I can ever make anything as perfect. As soon as I heard Teargas on a second hand tape in a friends car I knew Katatonia were my favorite band.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down had to grow on me. I actually thought somewhat the same thing when I heard it, even though I heard it before Tonight's Decision. But after ahwile something happened and it just...worked. I was listening to "Clean Today" and though "Damn, this song is great".