Tonight's Decision

Green Tea

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2004
After getting Viva Emptiness, which was the second one I got after Brave Murder Day I find this album very good if not close to greatness. It's much better and interesting then Viva Boringness that's for sure. Less of that lazy grunge guitar slur riffs and a better approach to the guitars on this one. I'll look forward to Last Fair Deal which should be arriving soon.

My opinion is that you will probably grow to love VIVA. it always takes me a few listens to really grasp the whole of whats happening with their stuff. And if not so be it, not everyone can appreciate everything they have done. :)
Also I wouldnt call the guitar riffs "lazy" at all. There are more effects on this one, but that doesnt make them lazy.

I think that Viva is much more creative instrument-wise and the approach to songs is definetly more diverse, than TD. I think TD has a lot of flaws, one is the production... the 'sound' of the overall product is a little thin, imo

i needed a couple of months to feel the depth of Viva Emptiness!At the beginning it was a very difficult for me,to realize that Katatonia have created such album,i loved Omerta ,Ghost of the Sun and Evidence,but since then i just didn't keep listening to the album,a 5-4 months ago i decided to check it again,and this time i became really hooked,this is one of their best albums ever..Deliverance6 had find the rightest point in his opinion-you must grow to love Viva Emptiness..

I'm already starting to like it. I played it in my car the other night and now I'm starting to love it. I think you really have to read the lyrics to the songs for more understanding. Now I'm playing it nonstop. There was a time I was wondering if I was going to dig this newer sound they have made since BMD but now I think it's genius. Just got Last Fair Deal and I like it but I'm not into it yet. I guess they all take several listens but I'm on board!

HAHAHAHA..... Now your hooked! I know because it happened to me with almost every release they have done. At first I wonder "is this good or not?" and then after a few listens it ALWAYS kicks my ass. Congratulations on your newly found enjoyment!

I pretty much love all of their albums equally. Really, it's always hard to choose a favorite. As far as Tonight's Decision goes, it was probably my favorite up until Last Fair Deal Gone Down came out. I wouldn't say musically that it's better than Viva Emptiness though.

Demonspell said:
I agree, the songs and riffs on VE aren't as simple as they sound at first listen, there's some great use of contrast between the melodic and dissonant parts that reveal themselves upon further listenings...
Did you put all that stuff on the message? That Robert Fripp quote is amazin aint?it

Green Tea said:
After getting Viva Emptiness, which was the second one I got after Brave Murder Day I find this album very good if not close to greatness. It's much better and interesting then Viva Boringness that's for sure. Less of that lazy grunge guitar slur riffs and a better approach to the guitars on this one. I'll look forward to Last Fair Deal which should be arriving soon.