Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Hey, i just got this cd (special edition, with 3 bonus tracks) two days ago as an introduction to Katatonia - Im a big Opeth fan, and had been told id like them. Never heard a song by them before, didn't even know what to expect, other than "mellow"...

Wow.

At first i was tricked into thinking that it was basically average pop. I thought that his vocal range was so small because he couldn't really sing. Simple song structures because they had no better ideas. Restrained music because they couldn't play anything else. Hahahah, but then again, apparently im a moron.

Every song is just so infectious, to go with the mighty Akerfeldt, "Crept up the caverns of my brain". They are mesmerizing in an understated kind of way. I love every single bit of that cd now, and can't wait to try BMD.

Highlights: Dispossesion, I Transpire, The Future Of Speech, Tonight's Music, Sweet Nurse, Dont Tell A Soul and Sulfur (thank god for bonus tracks)

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Highlights:"...." Dont Tell A Soul and Sulfur (thank god for bonus tracks)
These 2 songs are the most overlooked gems from that album era. Don't Tell.. is just brilliant and the opening to Sulfur, beautiful along with the rest of the track.
I don't need to list the other greats as they have already been said.

About Viva, meh.. It's a very good album and all but "angry" doesn't really suit Katatonia's style at all is the way i feel. And of course with Daniel drumming, the songs have a more upbeat sound, not as simplistic or lethergic as on previous alobums which was better suited for the songs. Again that's my opinion *shrug* i've been into Katatonia for a very long time so Viva for me was as drastic a change as DO was from BMD. But DO is sheer brilliance in subtlety.

Carbonized said:
These 2 songs are the most overlooked gems from that album era. Don't Tell.. is just brilliant and the opening to Sulfur, beautiful along with the rest of the track.
I don't need to list the other greats as they have already been said.

About Viva, meh.. It's a very good album and all but "angry" doesn't really suit Katatonia's style at all is the way i feel. And of course with Daniel drumming, the songs have a more upbeat sound, not as simplistic or lethergic as on previous alobums which was better suited for the songs. Again that's my opinion *shrug* i've been into Katatonia for a very long time so Viva for me was as drastic a change as DO was from BMD. But DO is sheer brilliance in subtlety.

I understand but I think they are different moods. The simple, lethargic drumming of DO gave the album a very dreary and depressed mood, almost as if Jonas is totally crushed by everything he barely felt any optimism anymore. VE, however, with Daniel's technical and busy drumming seemed to give the album a panicked, confused mood, almost as if you were running away from the police. I think they both work and I love both albums dearly...

we must bury you...i love that song
and passing bird is awesome... this was the first i got too and i love it!
you can feel the emotion in their music...and when you read the lyrics you feel it stronger.
this album has some progressive parts and i love how it sounds!...i dont know how a katatonia lover dont like this one.

The different Katatonia albums are always changing in how much I like them, but LFDGD is usually one of my favorites. It took me a few weeks to realize it, but Future of Speech is the best song ever. The part....well, I don't know the technical term, but the part about 3 minutes in where the guitar is alone, then everything comes back in, then Jonas sings those awesome lines with all that emotion....that's the most incredible musical moment.

Chrome, Teargas, Disposession, Sweet Nurse, and ...whatever the last track is named...are also great.

I love "The Future Of Speech", but I like the live version I have better (even though it's a bit echoey and of course not as clear). For some reason, the recorded version isn't as flattering. It would be my favorite song otherwise...

"Clean Today" still remains to be the best song by Katatonia I've ever heard...

Eversion said:
I love "The Future Of Speech", but I like the live version I have better (even though it's a bit echoey and of course not as clear). For some reason, the recorded version isn't as flattering. It would be my favorite song otherwise...

"Clean Today" still remains to be the best song by Katatonia I've ever heard...

You have...live...version! Consider me jealous.

MiniMegaMoose said:
You have...live...version! Consider me jealous.

Haha, nah, I'm not that lucky. I haven't actually seen them live (possibly because I'm Texan) but I did download a live set from when they played Montreal earlier this year off Soulseek (www.slsknet.org). You could search for it and find it, or just IM me through the program (Ray000 is my Soulseek name) and I'll set you up...(but I have an awful connection :ill: )

MadTinus said:
I fully agree, definitely a very underrated song.

Yeah, totally. I remember skipping over it a few times because I didn't think the beginning was all that interesting, but when I listened to it all the way I kicked myself for skipping over such a beautiful song. I find it strange my favorite song(s) by bands are always ones that nobody else really ever mentions :err:

hell yeah you have it and you use slsk!!
can i download it from you? my slsk name is schiz0id

Eversion said:
Haha, nah, I'm not that lucky. I haven't actually seen them live (possibly because I'm Texan) but I did download a live set from when they played Montreal earlier this year off Soulseek (www.slsknet.org). You could search for it and find it, or just IM me through the program (Ray000 is my Soulseek name) and I'll set you up...(but I have an awful connection :ill: )
What should i search for? katatonia montreal?