Is Viva Emptiness better than Last Fair Deal Gone Down?

I like One Year From Now a lot, don't know why it's received its share of bashing here. The strings on the verses add to its depressive feeling, and I love how Jonas sings the chorus over the heavy section, making its refarin sound more like desperation than devotion...

Her own Pride said:
But I have to say one thing, in SLEEPER where the hell do the drums disappear to in the heavy chorus, someone lost control of the drums in the mixing of this album I feel, which doesn't do their new drummer enough justice, other than the loss of the drums its still a good album, just not discouraged.
I can hear them... the drumming is nuts in the chorus

I think its kinda the point that the massive guitar sound overwhelms everything else - the production is good i reckon

Demonspell said:
...and I love how Jonas sings the chorus over the heavy section, making its refrain sound more like desperation than devotion...

Exactly! Devotion/passion/love turns into an obsessive form of self sacrifice, so to speak.

I don't think that Viva Emptiness even comes close to Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I love everything about that album, from the sheer brilliance of the music, the deepness of the lyrics, and right down to the album cover and art work. I just feel this album can't be beaten. But don't get me wrong, Viva Emptiness is fantastic...I just feel they have changed slightly in a way I can't quite put my finger on...but I will always think Last Fair Deal Gone Down the best album!

No, it isn't. I'm new to Katatonia, and these are the only two albums I own. However, I can see that I am going to get bored with Viva Emptiness a lot quicker than I'm going to with LFDGD. The songs just get a little too old a little too quickly on their new album. Still a solid effort though.

Omerta said:
I don't think that Viva Emptiness even comes close to Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I love everything about that album, from the sheer brilliance of the music, the deepness of the lyrics, and right down to the album cover and art work. I just feel this album can't be beaten. But don't get me wrong, Viva Emptiness is fantastic...I just feel they have changed slightly in a way I can't quite put my finger on...but I will always think Last Fair Deal Gone Down the best album!

Right on Omerta, I listened to LFDGD agin for the one hundreth+ time the other night, with no distraction, and every moment played with my emotions, it's a perfect album for me, it owns me!

On the other hand, I actually crave Viva and listen to it atleast once a day on average, I hope it has equal longevity!

I can't compare Viva Emptiness to LFDGD, it's too new still... LFDGD was an amazing album, it's still one of my absolute favourites! VE, on the other hand, I've just started listening to... but I find myself growing increasingly addicted to it. The mood, the beauty of the songs... everything. I think it'll grow even more when I've had a week or so to fully listen to it. But right now, I really like what I hear!

I've not found myself listning to Viva all that much actually - I still find the songs fantastic. One thing I find different though for me, is everyone is pretty much saying Ghost Of The Sun is the best song ever, I don't like it too much...the use of shouting vocals in that song IS very good though - but to me, it sounds more like Fear Factory that Katatonia...it's odd, but hmmm!

Schism said:
Right on Omerta, I listened to LFDGD agin for the one hundreth+ time the other night, with no distraction, and every moment played with my emotions, it's a perfect album for me, it owns me!

On the other hand, I actually crave Viva and listen to it atleast once a day on average, I hope it has equal longevity!

I know, it's strange how much I've listened to that album. I leant it to my ex [maybe not for much longer though :Spin:] girlfriend and didn't have it for a whole year - still don't have it, I just have the box he he but I downloaded it again about 4 months ago and I've listened to it once a week since then, and since Viva came out, I've been listninig to Katatonia non-stop, mainly LFDGD!!!!!!! I think the last three songs on the album sum it up completely - AMAZING!

Omerta said:
I know, it's strange how much I've listened to that album. I leant it to my ex [maybe not for much longer though :Spin:] girlfriend and didn't have it for a whole year - still don't have it, I just have the box he he but I downloaded it again about 4 months ago and I've listened to it once a week since then, and since Viva came out, I've been listninig to Katatonia non-stop, mainly LFDGD!!!!!!! I think the last three songs on the album sum it up completely - AMAZING!

I think Katatonia are at their peak on Tonight's Music and The Future of Speech, amazing songs, the choruses are unbelievable!!!!!

Listening to Viva now though, oh I adore it!!

That has to be one reason why despite the fact that VE has grown on me immensely I still prefer LFDGD, no chorus on that album matches the strength of those two and select others, although the ones on Criminals, Walking By A Wire, Will I Arrive, etc. are superb...