Facebook isn't making you depressed, but the internet is

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4647916/facebook-isnt-making-you-depressed-the-internet-is

An a intersting article.

I had a facebook account more or less a year ago but It´s not my thing, because I didnt had the patience to live some kind of virtual social shit. Well, my social skills are far from the good also. But I deleted my account a year ago and I didnt regret it. I lost too much time on it doing nothing useful, better spending my time reading a book, writing some sound or seeing some movie.

Only downside it´s when I want to seem some biacthe profile and I cant! ahah

I'm so glad that i never used facebook, especially when i see people all around starring at their little mobilephones all the time and in nearly every situation. It pisses me off when you talk to someone and he/she is periodically fiddling around with this facebookphone shit.

Wasn't my thing for the longest time, but recently I've tried to come out of my shell and it's helped me do that. It's like any other thing, and dont tell me you never had a myspace page....it's the same damn thing but with a feed. Twitter on the other hand, I dont get that one bit.

I don't mind Facebook at all. I use it daily. I turn notifications off on my phone so I don't feel the need to check it every 2 mins.

My problem is that I actually fucking communicate with people who want to record with me through facebook. It sucks, I really wish I could kill it with fire, but I can't.

This. This is the only reason that I gave in to making a FB page a few months ago. I barely use it and I think it sucks, but I just cannot deny that almost everyone around me seems to be using it as their main communication hub.
When mailing, calling, or MSN/skype/all that other similar shit, I would often get no reaction for days. With FB people usually react within 10 minutes.

Facbook pretty much took over my email. I check it and move on. (unless some Christian gives me shit :lol:) I don't use cell phones, so you won't catch me staring at one all day.

Edit: Now this forum is what I'm addicted to. I check it all day, it's crazy.

I think there are very different levels and types of FB use. I have more good friends all over world than I do where I live. It centralizes keeping up with people for me which is something I'm terrible at. I don't use it to communicate with people I see or talk on the phone with regularly though.

I check my Facebook news feed about once every two weeks, if I remember to that is. Usually only after my wife asks me if I wished so and so friend Happy Birthday. ;) About the only other time I post to Facebook is to thank others for my yearly birthday wishes.

I have a Twitter account and follow several people, but have maybe tweeted once or twice in two years. I also hardly text or message except for with my wife.

If I want to communicate with someone it's either email, phone, or in person.

i hang on facebook very often but it's just for chatting with a few poeple
and watching funny videos etc. sometimes i also get info about new products etc.
i explicitly do not use it on my phone

I was forced into it by one of my friends when she made an account for me and started to control my facebook life (this was in the good old days of myspace). Now I'm as addicted as ever, but I really must switch the phone notifications off, It's at the point where i'm in a bunch of very active groups and the damn thing won't stop dinging now. I think it adds to my daily stress as once I've heard the ding there's no going back!

Use it as a communication tool and you'll be fine.

BIG +1. Don't have the app on my phone, only check for new messages and occasionally the news feed (maybe once or twice a day very quickly) but that's about it.

I have chat off and as someone else mentioned, it now serves as a replacement for my e-mail because ANYONE in a band or other engineers can find me and send me a private message.

I could give a fuck about the notifications, I just click it once to clear it and quickly close it, haha.

Definitely useful to have one if you're in this game professionally!!!

My facebook feed is literally nothing but engineers, bands and pages that provide hilarious content. I've completely removed the personal social media aspect out of it (here's a little tip my friends, if you don't want to see someones status updates but don't want to hurt their feelings by deleting them, just go to their page and unclick "Show On Newsfeed".

I talk to bands and engineers all day on facebook, it's seriously awesome for networking

^ Great tip! I have this one friend who is gay and I'm cool with that but he's always posting pictures I rather not see. That fixed it right up. Thanks.

My facebook feed is literally nothing but engineers, bands and pages that provide hilarious content. I've completely removed the personal social media aspect out of it (here's a little tip my friends, if you don't want to see someones status updates but don't want to hurt their feelings by deleting them, just go to their page and unclick "Show On Newsfeed".
Yeah, it's insanely easy to hide/delete annoying posters and you never have to see them again. Anyone who thinks it's all food pictures, scene drama, and other frivolities just has shitty friends or is "friends" with too many people they don't actually know. Most of those people suck in real life too.

I was forced into it by one of my friends when she made an account for me and started to control my facebook life (this was in the good old days of myspace). Now I'm as addicted as ever, but I really must switch the phone notifications off, It's at the point where i'm in a bunch of very active groups and the damn thing won't stop dinging now. I think it adds to my daily stress as once I've heard the ding there's no going back!

This. I'm about to remove it from my iOs settings as well.

FB and Google are getting so intrusive these days, it's not even just alarming, it's just incredibly alienating. I'm considering more and more cutting FB from my life but I have to learn how to come back to a healthier communication with my friends. The big problem with it, is that I live abroad and internet is free, while using your phone to text your friends back home costs you 200 bucks a month easily.