Facets of perception

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
I think if asked, most here would say that the only thing that really concerns them when it comes to music is the sound of the music. However, time and again, I have seen people slip in other aspects that they seem to take into account when assessing music. Sometimes this is something obvious and factual but sometimes it appears to be something the listener projects upon the work unprompted. What I'm currently interested in are these latter aspects.

I recently read a review where the reviewer accounted for the band's spirituality in his assessment. I've seen many take into account a band's perceived sincerity. I've seen people take into account a band's perceived approach to writing music. These are just a few examples off the top of my head. I'm not talking about when people have an opinion on the image of a band. I'm talking about when people come up with on their own, a reason for a band's image and have this facet (perhaps true, perhaps not) help shape their opinion of the band.

Do you ever find yourself doing this? Does it matter? What aspects (factual or projected) other than the final finished product have an impact on your perception of music?

If I get your meaning... one example would be the way I get a similar vibe out of bands with strong occult leanings. And by "vibe", I mean something quite difficult to describe in the music, something that comes through on a much deeper level than the notes being played. Bands like Spear of Longinus, who're musically nothing special, can provide me with a strong sensation of profoudness if I listen to them with a certain intent. Same goes for Absu, although they're a whole lot flashier, musically speaking.

Fuck me, good thread and it's about music too...

Expanding on what Decadent said about a sense of profundity from certain bands, I'd argue that the likes of Absu, Melechesh and Nile evoke in me far more of a majestic, epic feeling than your average death or black metal bands, especially with Nile and Melechesh's use of Egyptian and Mesopotamian scales and the focus of their lyrics. There's more of a sense of event to it for some reason.

Thanatopsis123 said:
I think if asked, most here would say that the only thing that really concerns them when it comes to music is the sound of the music.
Actually I don't see a lot of this, seems like many are concerned whether a band is metal enough, sincere in their particular genre, or having a particular fanbase (or lack thereof) to even be bothered with. Case in point, the reaction to Velvet Cacoon after everything was said and done with their farce of a history, the opinion of the music itself drastically changed for some.

Generally speaking, music and music only is what matters. When I come upon a band who say, have similar political leanings that I do, I think it's pretty cool, but at the end of the day the exterior stuff doesn't really matter. I mean take Pantera for instance, I think Phil is an absolute fucking moron but he still remains one of my favorite singers ever.

I think this sort of thing comes into play when people talk about bands like Three Inches Of Blood, Wolfmother and that sort of group - there's a perception that they're somehow taking the piss out of metal by playing it in an ironic way or something, whereas (particularly in Three Inches' case), I've just been impressed that someone's playing that kind of stuff!

dill_the_devil said:
If someone posts boobs, this thread will get replies.

*sigh*

194111keeleybigbouncycw5.gif

I'm not even sure how much of all this you can even trust.

The assumption here is that the music somehow represents the band's spirituality or idealogy.

Anyone can make an NS album.

Anyone can say they're satanists.

Anyone can slap on corpse paint.

We have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so you have to take a lot of this at face value.

I say this: LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING.

They are Aussies, and they suck BALLS.

Well actually they aren't horrible, BUT they are 48th rate "stoner" at best, and I'm tired of people telling me about them. It's like a mishmash of random elements from Sabbath, Cream, and Tull thrown together without any thought. I can name 90 other bands who did it first, and do it better while in their fucking sleep.

It's the equivalent of someone saying "oh you're listening to Iron Maiden? You should check out H.I.M. he's so rad!" DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE [/not really angry]

:lol: at your sig.

Wolfmother, when classic rock goes bad.

175.wolfmother.1.11.06.jpg

I want to knock the singer right in the mush.

Edit- Giving them a second chance as we speak, Holy shit this is worse than I thought. I'm off to El Pollo Loco, fuck this.

BOOBatar

eh, i listen to what sounds good to me. i don't care what else is going on with the band/artist as long as the lyrics aren't completely idiotic (in a bad way, because there is such a thing as idiotic in a good way) :D

I'm not even sure how much of all this you can even trust.

The assumption here is that the music somehow represents the band's spirituality or idealogy.

Anyone can make an NS album.

Anyone can say they're satanists.

Anyone can slap on corpse paint.

We have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so you have to take a lot of this at face value.

I say this: LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING.

True enough, but there is a certain something about some albums that, upon further research, can be somewhat explained by the band's source of inspiration. Take a band like Neurosis, who claim that there's external powers at work in their music, which they seemingly channel...

Neurosis website said:
We always knew that there was something else at work when we played music together. At times even our friends could hear it. It was something unknown and beyond our comprehension, but we knew its presence. Soon it began to drive us toward our first thought, our commitment, our sacrifice.

...you can hear that in the music, but it's not the music itself.

So really what I'm saying is no different to "just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there", which seems stupid regarding an album, because all you hear is what's recorded, nothing more. But I dunno, sometimes I think you can somewhat tap into the source that the music originated from. Maybe not.