Fades. Crossfades. And Guitar.

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
Hey so I was just wondering a few things about how you guys slip edit guitar. In cubase when you have autofade on it doesn't actually
show you a visual representation of the fade
so I turned it off. And I just manually fade between my cuts.
How long should these fades be roughly?

Also when editing guitar and quantizing is this what I should be aiming for?

fades.jpg

From what I understand the actual chug is where I have it perfectly aligned with the grid and the pick attack is the little dip before it.
Is this the correct way to align guitar tracks?

In terms of fade length, I only make them long enough so that you don't hear a click or pop when one cut goes to the next, any more than that and you extent the amount of time that two tracks are playing at the same time which can get weird and nasty sounding if you make the fade too long, especially for heavy saturated guitars.

And in terms of quantizing, there are no rules. just do whatever works for you and what sounds good.

In terms of fade length, I only make them long enough so that you don't hear a click or pop when one cut goes to the next, any more than that and you extent the amount of time that two tracks are playing at the same time which can get weird and nasty sounding if you make the fade too long, especially for heavy saturated guitars.

And in terms of quantizing, there are no rules. just do whatever works for you and what sounds good.

SO your fades are usually smaller than that?

I never know how long to make them and I always feel like I make them too long.

Only reason you need a fade is so that one cut transitions seamlessly into the next as if there one continuous take. For the most part you would keep the fade as small as possible before you notice there is a separation between the two cuts.

There is not right or wrong answer though. If its too long it sounds bad, if its too short, it sound bad, so if it sounds good then you are within the length that works.

I never get clicks and pops with those enabled, unless it's an actual plosive or something within the waveform. Never get any "just started playing this region so I'm gonna do a click" business that Cubase usually does.

I get those sometimes when I start playing a region. I guess I'll have to experiment with the fade settings. But this definitely helped me. I was wondering why my guitar sounded off, my fades were way too long.

So if you have the Autofade enabled you don't have to crossfade edits? it does it automatically?

From what I read on the steinberg forums, I think autofade only applies to to events that touch but don't overlap i.e when you split something you now have two new sections that touch but don't overlap. But when you have overlapping events you still have to crossfade if thats what you mean?

But I could be completely wrong.

Just turn auto-fade on to 5ms, it IS there, it just does not show it. That's all you need to do. If it is clicking and popping you are doing something to make it do that, been using auto-fade for a long time now and haven't heard a single pop/crackle/etc. since I turned it on and clicked Set As Default.

Just turn auto-fade on to 5ms, it IS there, it just does not show it. That's all you need to do. If it is clicking and popping you are doing something to make it do that, been using auto-fade for a long time now and haven't heard a single pop/crackle/etc. since I turned it on and clicked Set As Default.

I have the Auto-fade setup like u mentioned.....so let me get this right

When i cut an event and make my edit and then i want to crossfade them.
It will automatically crossfade? I don't need to select each event and hit X?

If you are slip editing then no, you don't need to do anything it will be fine. If you are moving actual events around you may have to xfade manually ("X").

From what I read on the steinberg forums, I think autofade only applies to to events that touch but don't overlap i.e when you split something you now have two new sections that touch but don't overlap. But when you have overlapping events you still have to crossfade if thats what you mean?

But I could be completely wrong.

yes, you are wrong. auto crossfade also applies to overlapping events (otherwise it would be really useless...).
at least that is what it is doing in nuendo so i guess cubase isn´t any different.

EDIT: if you get clicks you might have turned off snap to zero?