Consolidating after quantizing?

brianhood

No Care Ever
I just manually cut up and quantized all the drums in a song, and used beat detective to fill in the gaps and do all the cross fades. It sounds great right now, but should i consolidate all of the tracks together now so there aren't a billion cuts and crossfades bogging down my computer?

I am not in PT - I would recommend to save the project/session to a new file and consolidate there - so you still have the billion cuts and snipplets... Just for the case of something is suboptimal... I keep that stuff usually till the project is done (master cd proved/confirmed) and then I delete all those backups.

In PT it's a bit easier then that. Simply duplicate the playlists and then consolidate the duplicate, this way you can always go back to your edits if you need to tweak them quickly

In PT it's a bit easier then that. Simply duplicate the playlists and then consolidate the duplicate, this way you can always go back to your edits if you need to tweak them quickly

wouldn't do that... having the fades and regions in the session can make it slow..

I would do this, then do a save as called "drums bd clear" delete unused playlists, the remove unused regions NOT Delete. then save again.

nice.

I am very careful about consolidating, as once you have all your edits and different takes matched up if you consolidate you are commiting to the edit.

I had a bit of a dissaster at the weekend, I was comping a drum track, we used about 3 takes and comped the master drum take,all edited and and comped nicely. I consolidated region then the next day we realised we had comped a part wrong!!!

If i had not have consolidated the region i could just simply find the part and "pulled back the audio to find the hidden drum fill". But because i had commited and consolidated that wasnt an option. BOY DID I FEEL AN IDIOT WHEN I TOLD THEM I DIDNT HAVE IT! :erk:

In simple terms do a save as for "drums done un-consolidated" and do a save as "drums done consolidated" then all is accounted for.

I know i could have found the drum fill but it would have taken a few hours and time was against me, 8 peice funk band wanting to do 6 songs in 4 days. :lol: