False Metal: The Financial and Farcical Return of Heavy Metal

I've read/heard the interviews as well, but really can not comment on it until the show appears on television. A Beavis and Butthead for an extreme 21st century or a respectful tongue-in-cheek tribute to metal? Who knows? Could depend on an individual's temperment, but as I said cannot really comment on it at this point.

I am currently thinking about including it in a piece as an example of a much larger phenomenon, but it will not be for the reasons someone would expect based on my opinions on other matters. It will be the ol' bait and switch done on an unorthodox fashion.

Occam's Razor said:
I remember Flynn in 1996 saying to German Metal Hammer about "The More Things Change...":

"It's heavy, but not metal"

That speaks for itself doesn't it? Now of course, MH claim to have been metal ever since...

... or stating that they don't want to be known as a heavy metal band in the cover story for Metal Maniacs.

Some Bastard said:
So how can there be such a thing as 'pure' or 'impure' Heavy Metal whan Heavy Metal itself has nothing to do with Heavy Metal anymore?

Why would my statement mean that heavy metal itself had nothing to do with heavy metal?

I've had a close listen to the first Black Sabbath album (bought it and everything)... and my opinion on this album just never gets any better. Yes, they had a lot of later stuff (with Ozzy, even!) that is undeniably metal. But this album? It has its moments, but some of this is seriously painful and lacking in any sort of "metal" quality. But more on this when I'm not sitting at a library computer with a line of people waiting. :)

Jim LotFP said:
Why would my statement mean that heavy metal itself had nothing to do with heavy metal?

I've had a close listen to the first Black Sabbath album (bought it and everything)... and my opinion on this album just never gets any better. Yes, they had a lot of later stuff (with Ozzy, even!) that is undeniably metal. But this album? It has its moments, but some of this is seriously painful and lacking in any sort of "metal" quality. But more on this when I'm not sitting at a library computer with a line of people waiting. :)
Well, of course it's lacking "metal" quality. Black Sabbath started out as an electric blues band imitating Cream. But since they lacked the musical prowess of Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker they've decided to emphasize that and combine it with horror imagery. And that's what you're hearing on their first album. Compare "N.I.B." with Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love" and hear for yourself. The band won't deny it either. Geezer Butler himself has said in an interview with Kerrang! that Sabbath play blues-based rock so (quote): "don't call it Heavy Metal"

Black Sabbath themselves have never set out to 'invent' Heavy Metal and only in recent years has it become 'fashionable' to state that they basically started it all. Not sure what started this craze. Probably a combination of Ozzy's newfound fame and a slew of celebs (among them Henry Rollins and The Chili Peppers) citing them as an influence. Earlier studies of the genre (like Malcolm Dome and Brian Harrigan's 'Enyclopedia Metallica') all point the finger at Jimi Hendrix and Cream forerunning it and see Black Sabbath as just one of the big three (With Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple).

So maybe we can state that 'pure' Heavy Metal is badly played blues rock :lol:

Just kidding. Of course we still had the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. If you wanna hear where Iron Maiden (the biggest band of that era) got their sound from listen to the guitar harmonies of Thin Lizzy and Wishbone Ash and the prog-rock of early Genesis and Nektar (whose "King Of Twilight" they would eventually cover). They had a singer (their second one) who used to be in a band called Samson, also considered part of the NWOBHM even though their guitar player played some mean blues licks. Not really part of the scene but influential were Motörhead, whose singer stated he wanted nothing to do with Heavy Metal. Which was understandable since musically they had more in common with Chuck Berry than Black Sabbath. They were also one of the very few bands who were popular in both the Heavy Metal and the Punk scenes. Even though there were some musical similarities Heavy Metal and Punk were two distinctly different camps. If a review of a Heavy Metal band stated they were 'too punk' it was not considered something good. It meant they lacked musical prowess. Likewise the punks were distrustful of anything that contained too much guitar wankery.

Of course that all changed with the arrival of more extreme forms of metal and some collaborations between certain Punk and Metal people.

And now, according to some writers here Punk is more influential on what we now call Heavy Metal than what was originally called Heavy Metal, yet they maintain that there really is such a thing as 'pure' and 'impure' Heavy Metal! :err:

How can that be? :loco:

If it is reactionary and conservative to believe in a form of art that is shaped and defined by a community instead of executives, corporations and those who ask no questions about how power is wielded in the marketplace of metal or complicit in making music over into nothing more than a commodity, then I guess I am guilty as charged.

How about a form of art that is defined by the artists, and not the scenester faggots that just want to boost their flagging self-esteem through their parasitism?

Occam's Razor said:
yeah, but if you knew who he is, you would see that it's an old hat of his which he puts on repeatedly here in a sometimes more, sometimes less offensive manner.
Maybe, I don't know, but a form of art defined by the artists makes sense to me. More so than some snotnosed brat writer who is only knowledgable about and interested in a very small part of a very wide and diverse genre and shows zero respect for its history. Should someone like that define this form of art? Puh-leeze! :rolleyes:

As for 'old hat', if some people here actually responded to points made by more knowledgable people there would probably be less repetition, don't you think?

Granted, Dave's focus is fairly narrow. To my way of thinking though, the real flaw in his thinking is ignoring the basic psychology of both bands and fanbase if favor of a conspiracy theory involving secret cabals of money grubbing labels and metal-hating journalists out to systematically undermine the meaning of 'heavy metal.'

There's no conspiracy. Just a prevalent attitude that subconsciously works towards that end.

...at least that's my interpretation of it.

Zealotry said:
There's no conspiracy. Just a prevalent attitude that subconsciously works towards that end.

...at least that's my interpretation of it.

So basically like Kevin MacDonald's theories about Jews?

Europa Ascendent said:
My, my, hypersensitive this evening, are we?
Consider this me ignoring you. You're trying to turn a legitimate discussion on its ear with an ad-hominem that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I'm not gonna give you the satisfaction.

Do you even know what an ad hominem is, Zealotry?

Here's a hint: comparing the structure of one argument to the structure of another argument isn't an ad hominem.

Europa Ascendent said:
Granted, Dave's focus is fairly narrow. To my way of thinking though, the real flaw in his thinking is ignoring the basic psychology of both bands and fanbase if favor of a conspiracy theory involving secret cabals of money grubbing labels and metal-hating journalists out to systematically undermine the meaning of 'heavy metal.'
Holy Shit!

It is a hootenanny now!

And it is indeed “old hat” because we have had the conspiracy discussion already, but you at least get the gist of the articles even if you have your own inimitable way of putting it. :)

That I have managed to bring down the frequent and furious keystrokes of a kindler and gentler new-age fascist and a liberal-leftist who thinks everything is marketing over an extended period of time must mean that I am doing something right, Mr. MacLaurie.

Frankly, it also amuses me to no end. Because the irony of it all is that I am the least dogmatic of the three--despite how it appears on the surface of things :lol:

”Some Bastard” said:
As for 'old hat', if some people here actually responded to points made by more knowledgeable people there would probably be less repetition, don't you think?

You should not confuse not having the time to respond to every scattershot "point" you throw up in a disconnected manner with having less knowledge about something. The claim to have more knowledge about metal in order to lord it over someone is something that I would never engage in because it is just too wide and far-flung of a subject for someone to do such a thing--unless they are superficial, egocentric and want to score debating points with minimal efforts. It is also common message board boilerplate that creates more heat than light. How do we measure knowledge? Is it trivial? Shall we play a form of heavy metal Jeopardy!? Who produced what record in what studio in what year? What songs did a band cover during 1985 rehearsal session and who played the guitar? What words are inscribed on a piece of particular vinyl and which company released it?

This is not how it works to me…in fact it would be possible for a young kid with a collection of 300 records to know more about metal than some old, jaded codger with over 3,000 pieces of vinyl if he has forgotten how to feel and think about certain matters.

I am learning more every day and am not infalliable and have been an idiot, so it is bad form for me to say I will crush you with my metal knowledge like a child on a playground.

But since you insist, I will respond to one of your points to provide an example.

”Some Bastard” said:
And so reviewers of these fanzines wrote reviews that roughly went like "Priest's Screaming For Vengeance is an excellent record, except for Take These Chains which is a bit too commercial". Or "Anvil's Forged In Fire is an excellent platter. Too bad it has a commercial song like Never Deceive Me on it". Or "Metallica's Ride The Lightning is a great second album. Too bad it has a song like Escape on it, which is waaaaay to commercial".

One of the lessons you should have absorbed from “False Metal” is the fact that when people become combative about the definitions of heavy metal there are excesses due to overzealousness, but there are many large kernels of truth at the bottom of this impulse that can spiral out of control and result in wrongheaded declarations. The discussion of true metal based on the reception of the live Medieval show chronicled by Bob Muldowney was one example of this and the brief discussion that followed. Another example would be the discussion of how retro metal became such a blurry term that was applied to bands irrespective of whether or not they were actually engaging in the retro machinations that some band and journalists regarded as tacky and tawdry.

Yet you failed to note the clear and concrete distinction between the excesses and correct claims I uncovered and that, in reality, was made by metallers who keep a level head and do not rush to judgments--unlike you, Mr. Bastard. Not surprising in the least given the way that you have degenerated into a sophisticated troll threatening to beat up people on the other side of a computer screen. How appropriate, reavealing, droll and cliché-ridden…

Now, let us return to the “point” you are trying to prove here that once again ignores the argument I made firmly based on the statements, ideas and opinions of people who play, create and actually care (I know that this is a hard concept for you to wrap your mind around, but try to for the sake of this argument) about heavy metal as a living and breathing musical entity.

You really do not have a “point” in post #106 of the “Impure Metal” thread :)lol: it has derailed), though, you merely meander about without coming to a real conclusion or saying anything of substance, but here is the closest you come to a thesis statement:

”Some Bastard” said:
When Metal became more extreme so did this 'too commercial' thing. It became a kind of tough guy thing to state that you thought Venom's "Black Metal" was 'too commercial'. It meant you were da man. Of course it was just a reaction to the times, but this is where it brought us today. People dividing music into commercial/non-commercial, like its some kind of sport.
I can only assume what you are intimating, since you are unclear, is that “Take These Chains,” “Escape,” and “Never Deceive Me” were all slagged as “too commercial” for no other reason that they contained some melody and were good songs that were the victim of reviewers too uptight, narrow-minded and wanting to prove how tough they were.

However, your lack of knowledge :) about the origins of these songs and the circumstances surrounding them leads you to lump them all together as belonging to a certain class--which is wrong and ignorant.

The comments about “Escape” and “Never Deceive Me” may very well have been excesses that people concerned about the commercialization of metal (a concrete event and trend chronicled in the article) engaged in, but “Take These Chains” is a different animal entirely, and the reviewers slagging it as a light and poofy song written for commercial purposes were not blindly flailing about, but making a sound decision based on actual information or an instinctual hunch that was correct.

“Take These Chains” was a 7” single and promo single CBS sent around as one of the songs from Vengeance to serve as a hook precisely because it was a commercial song commissioned for the sole purpose of showing a softer and lradio-friendly side of Judas Priest. Yes I said, “commissioned.” For “Take these Chains” is not a song that was composed by Judas Priest, it was a piece composed by Bob Halligan the self-described “first-call heavy metal sound doctor” who was called in by bands or labels to compose “heavy metal” that would be more palatable to the bland mainstream top-40 tastes. He wrote other masterpiece such Helix’s “Rock You,” Kix’s "Don't Close Your Eyes" as well as other insipid fare with an hot hit mentality and a bullet eye on the top-40--as well as chart songs for Cher, Kathy Mattea, Michael Bolton, Kiss, Jennifer Rush and Joe Nichols. (Why not? A hit “heavy metal” song is interchangeable with country and adult contemporary artists since metal has no inherent meaning to some people.) Luckily for Judas Priest, Halligan, an off and on again born-again (and again?) Christian was in a fuzzy period during the early eighties and not too concerned about superstitious and evangelical spiritual dichotomies, so he decided to grab the paycheck CBS was offering and hacked out “Take These Chains” and also wrote "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" for the Defenders of the Faith album. Of course, Judas Priest followed this approach to its logical end and began writing their own sappy, synthesized top-40 palaver that led to a significant selection of songs from Defenders being weak and uninspired and then throwing the commercial hat fully into the ring with the execrable Turbo.

In other words, they became putty in the hands of the commercial music machine and supine caricatures who would do anything asked of them as long as there was money, publicity or notoriety involved. And sunk to depths that others have correctly claimed as constituting a bizarre and horrid mix of repugnance and ridiculousness:
Check out this exhibit

I could go on and talk about Priest jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon Halford and the Two debacle (as well as going a bit further back in time), but you get the picture--even if you do not care about the consequence of such actions for their peers and heavy metal as a whole during the mid-to-late 80s(covered in the article, you can try to connect the dots yourself, Mr. Bastard, if you dare!!!!:lol: :rolleyes: ) and will condone, excuse, or rationalize such blatant corrosive commercial maneuvers by clicking on the “happy throwing the horns” emoticon and typing “Let the music do the talking!” Or other standard and hackneyed things like claiming that cause you have never been in a band you just can't understand, man.

So, in the end, it really does not matter if I reply to your “points” because you have made more than evident the fact that you think all of this is a bunch of bullshit that is made up by people who are juvenile, narrow-minded and employing obsolete definitions. It would be just a waste of my time to devote the time to arguing with someone who is not going to listen and repeatedly makes arguments that are not rooted in what is actually said.

But let this example serve as a notice that it is not because you have made “points” which I cannot counter or respond to that has led me to remain silent about them. I could provide similar examples and make similar counterarguments to almost all of the “points” you raise in a disconnected, stream of consciousness fashion. But as you can see, it takes the time to think things through and the effort to make connections based on collected and collated evidence instead of just typing out random thoughts, impressions and recollections and then kicking, screaming and bawling for someone to instantly reply because of the ethic of instant and immediate gratification message board culture as instilled in you.

Also, I do simply do not have the time to sit down and type out thousands of words to every “point” you make, because I have matters and obligations that extend beyond staring at a computer screen for long spells of time--something I can no longer do at home for a few weeks, which is actually liberating in a way. :)

”Some Bastard” said:
Oh, I see where Mr. Ward is coming from but you don't think there is a kind of marketing plan behind Bolt Thrower too? They may not call it that, but their albums are in the shops and have a very recognizable logo and artwork. That's marketing too!!! In fact, that is the very essence of marketing!!
But don’t be absolutely despondent, some of your “points” will most likely be addressed in the next article of this nature I write (who knows when that may be at this point, but it will be entirely different in many ways) called “Market Metal.” The title and lyrical quote were chosen before you typed the vapid words above. :lol: And even though Laeth MacLaurie, or the man of many names, is a boil on the ass of all humanity ($200 if you can name the song whose lyrics I am referring to, Mr. Bastard :)) some of “False Metal” was influenced by his cock-eyed commentary. So stay tuned…..:lol:

Carry on...

There he goes up his pedestal again :lol:
DBB said:
You should not confuse not having the time to respond to every scattershot "point" you throw up in a disconnected manner with having less knowledge about something. The claim to have more knowledge about metal in order to lord it over someone is something that I would never engage in because it is just too wide and far-flung of a subject for someone to do such a thing--unless they are superficial, egocentric and want to score debating points with minimal efforts. It is also common message board boilerplate that creates more heat than light. How do we measure knowledge? Is it trivial? Shall we play a form of heavy metal Jeopardy!? Who produced what record in what studio in what year? What songs did a band cover during 1985 rehearsal session and who played the guitar? What words are inscribed on a piece of particular vinyl and which company released it?

This is not how it works to me…in fact it would be possible for a young kid with a collection of 300 records to know more about metal than some old, jaded codger with over 3,000 pieces of vinyl if he has forgotten how to feel and think about certain matters.
True, it happens. I'm amazed at what some young kids with collections of 300 records know. But that's not the case here.
DBB said:
One of the lessons you should have absorbed from “False Metal” is the fact that when people become combative about the definitions of heavy metal there are excesses due to overzealousness, but there are many large kernels of truth at the bottom of this impulse that can spiral out of control and result in wrongheaded declarations. The discussion of true metal based on the reception of the live Medieval show chronicled by Bob Muldowney was one example of this and the brief discussion that followed. Another example would be the discussion of how retro metal became such a blurry term that was applied to bands irrespective of whether or not they were actually engaging in the retro machinations that some band and journalists regarded as tacky and tawdry.

Yet you failed to note the clear and concrete distinction between the excesses and correct claims I uncovered and that, in reality, was made by metallers who keep a level head and do not rush to judgments--unlike you, Mr. Bastard. Not surprising in the least given the way that you have degenerated into a sophisticated troll threatening to beat up people on the other side of a computer screen. How appropriate, reavealing, droll and cliché-ridden…
Yeah yeah, I know, you 'uncovered' shit. You're a regular Sherlock Holmes *yawn*

But wait a minute. You don't really think I actually meant to threaten someone or to beat someone up, do you? I mean, you can't be that serious, right? Even if I wanted to do such a thing (which I don't), the guy lives in Finland ferchrissakes!! Please tell me you don't think that. That would be beyond sad :err:
DBB said:
Now, let us return to the “point” you are trying to prove here that once again ignores the argument I made firmly based on the statements, ideas and opinions of people who play, create and actually care (I know that this is a hard concept for you to wrap your mind around, but try to for the sake of this argument) about heavy metal as a living and breathing musical entity.
You keep forgetting that I work on a regular basis with people who play, create and care about Heavy Metal. You also keep implying that just because I'm not such a nitpicking purist like yourself I don't 'care' about Heavy Metal as a living and breathing musical entity. I do, but unlike you I don't believe everything is etched in stone. Where you insist on drawing borders I choose to see a grey area. Which I think makes a lot more sense, considering the fact that Heavy Metal is indeed a living and breathing musical entity and like any living and breathing entity it has evolved and keeps on evolving. That does not mean I don't care about Heavy Metal.
DBB said:
I can only assume what you are intimating, since you are unclear, is that “Take These Chains,” “Escape,” and “Never Deceive Me” were all slagged as “too commercial” for no other reason that they contained some melody and were good songs that were the victim of reviewers too uptight, narrow-minded and wanting to prove how tough they were.

However, your lack of knowledge :) about the origins of these songs and the circumstances surrounding them leads you to lump them all together as belonging to a certain class--which is wrong and ignorant.

The comments about “Escape” and “Never Deceive Me” may very well have been excesses that people concerned about the commercialization of metal (a concrete event and trend chronicled in the article) engaged in, but “Take These Chains” is a different animal entirely, and the reviewers slagging it as a light and poofy song written for commercial purposes were not blindly flailing about, but making a sound decision based on actual information or an instinctual hunch that was correct.

“Take These Chains” was a 7” single and promo single CBS sent around as one of the songs from Vengeance to serve as a hook precisely because it was a commercial song commissioned for the sole purpose of showing a softer and lradio-friendly side of Judas Priest. Yes I said, “commissioned.” For “Take these Chains” is not a song that was composed by Judas Priest, it was a piece composed by Bob Halligan the self-described “first-call heavy metal sound doctor” who was called in by bands or labels to compose “heavy metal” that would be more palatable to the bland mainstream top-40 tastes. He wrote other masterpiece such Helix’s “Rock You,” Kix’s "Don't Close Your Eyes" as well as other insipid fare with an hot hit mentality and a bullet eye on the top-40--as well as chart songs for Cher, Kathy Mattea, Michael Bolton, Kiss, Jennifer Rush and Joe Nichols. (Why not? A hit “heavy metal” song is interchangeable with country and adult contemporary artists since metal has no inherent meaning to some people.) Luckily for Judas Priest, Halligan, an off and on again born-again (and again?) Christian was in a fuzzy period during the early eighties and not too concerned about superstitious and evangelical spiritual dichotomies, so he decided to grab the paycheck CBS was offering and hacked out “Take These Chains” and also wrote "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" for the Defenders of the Faith album. Of course, Judas Priest followed this approach to its logical end and began writing their own sappy, synthesized top-40 palaver that led to a significant selection of songs from Defenders being weak and uninspired and then throwing the commercial hat fully into the ring with the execrable Turbo.
You saw me mention "Take These Chains" and had to bite into it like a pitbull, didn't you? :lol:

Well, all things being fair I think I can say I got that coming since I can't deny doing things like that too every now and then. I of course knew it wasn't written by Judas Priest but I didn't know this (Helix - yikes!) so thanks for 'uncovering' this. Where would this site be without its very own Miss Marple :heh:

But since you were talking about my lack of knowledge about the origins of these songs, please enlighten me about the shadowy nightmarish forces behind "Escape" and "Never Deceive Me" as well
DBB said:
In other words, they became putty in the hands of the commercial music machine and supine caricatures who would do anything asked of them as long as there was money, publicity or notoriety involved. And sunk to depths that others have correctly claimed as constituting a bizarre and horrid mix of repugnance and ridiculousness:
Check out this exhibit
...yet I find it intriguing that Raven was 'a case where executives held a contract over the band’s head and forced them to water down their sound' yet Priest were 'putty in the hands of the commercial music machine etcetera.....'. Kind of a double standard innit? :err:
DBB said:
I could go on and talk about Priest jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon Halford and the Two debacle (as well as going a bit further back in time), but you get the picture--even if you do not care about the consequence of such actions for their peers and heavy metal as a whole during the mid-to-late 80s(covered in the article, you can try to connect the dots yourself, Mr. Bastard, if you dare!!!!:lol: :rolleyes: ) and will condone, excuse, or rationalize such blatant corrosive commercial maneuvers by clicking on the “happy throwing the horns” emoticon and typing “Let the music do the talking!” Or other standard and hackneyed things like claiming that cause you have never been in a band you just can't understand, man.
Well, no matter how much crap they released later on, from a musical standpoint I don't think their influence was 'just' a bad one (at least in Europe it wasn't) so yeah, I will. Likewise you can go on about the 'proof' you have 'uncovered' about those evil business people and the dire 'consequences' their actions will have on our beloved Heavy Metal :cry: Or other standard and hackneyed things like claiming that your arguments are firmly based on the statements, ideas and opinions of people who play, create and actually care about heavy metal as a living and breathing musical entity and you are therefore speaking The Absolute Truth!! ('Ees Num Be Praised!')

And yes, I do think that if you have never played in a band, never recorded anything in a studio and never had a record deal shoved under your nose you should just stick to your opinions on the music itself. You don't need to have first hand knowledge for that.
DBB said:
But don’t be absolutely despondent, some of your “points” will most likely be addressed in the next article of this nature I write (who knows when that may be at this point, but it will be entirely different in many ways) called “Market Metal.” The title and lyrical quote were chosen before you typed the vapid words above. :lol: And even though Laeth MacLaurie, or the man of many names, is a boil on the ass of all humanity ($200 if you can name the song whose lyrics I am referring to, Mr. Bastard :)) some of “False Metal” was influenced by his cock-eyed commentary. So stay tuned…..:lol:

Carry on...
Vapid eh? :rolleyes: Too bad you chose to lift those vapid words out of their context. They were followed by:
Some Bastard said:
And should I take Bolt Thrower more seriously just because they have been doing the same thing over and over again for the last couple of years? Because their sound hasn't evolved at all and so in your view they have been 'sticking to their guns'? One could argue the point that in a way that's commercial too; having found your succes formula and sticking with it.
But I understand that would not be convenient to quote. And that it doesn't matter and it's a waste of your time and I'm not listening blahblahblah.....okeedokee then

Good luck with your article. I can't promise you I'll read it since I think you've already made up your mind and you seem to have no room for an alternate viewpoint. Which is OK I guess. Through the years I have read just about anything on the genre I could get my hands on and I can't say I'm really gaining any new insights here, other than your personal opinion and some 'uncoverings'. Maybe I am a jaded old codger when it comes to that. But who cares, I still get a jolt from the music :headbang:

DBB said:
That I have managed to bring down the frequent and furious keystrokes of a kindler and gentler new-age fascist and a liberal-leftist who thinks everything is marketing over an extended period of time must mean that I am doing something right, Mr. MacLaurie.

Alternately, it could just mean you're the pompous, full-of-shit cocksucker that everyone accuses you of being.