Nicknames and aliases in Heavy Metal

Helm

Maybe on Luna
Mar 30, 2002
www.suctionfunnel.com
Jim said in another thread:

(one thing I like about this article is the use of real names, even if it's done in a HAH I KNOW A SECRET manner rather than a straightforward "this is who these people are" kind of way)

Also of course this is delt with on section 6 of Scum and although I have lots of critique on Scum in general, this is a particular bit that seemed really easy for me to rebut.

Jim asks, why should Heavy Metal people use pseudonyms? I ask, why shouldn't they?

There is a mention of a lack of authenticity in using an alias that I believe is off the mark. As is mentioned, it's not like people don't know who the real musicians behind the aliases are (the Residents situation) most of the time, so obviously there must me some other concept at work than just obfuscation.

I'll make a sideways argument:

One of the better known and most skilled comics creators in Europe, is named Jean Giraud. He is more well-known by the alias he's been using on and off for a long time, of Moebius. This person started making comics under his legal given name, working on stuff like Blueberry and such, and was successful. At some point, he publishes a comic named 'Detour', under the alias 'Moebius', the techniques used in it being wildly different than his regular work. Obviously, people knew it was the same person. Why did he do it then? He has gone on record to say that specific works by him needed a distinct secondary persona to be developed by, one that was lurking inside him and that he finally let loose to cultivate what promise it held. He continues to put work out both under his real name and Moebius to this day, and the work that is made under the alias is consistent in aesthetic and approach. The name is there because it augments the aesthetic.

Heavy Metal people therefore similarly signify that they're not just regular dudes that work at K-mart when they pick up the guitars. Regardless of whether that seems juvenile or escapist (and Heavy Metal often is), it augments the aesthetic of the music they put out. It's on the same wavelength as Heavy Metal covers being what they are, the lyrics dealing with what they do, the band photos being what they are and so on. It's not dishonest, it's an attempt to carry the aesthetic concept to fairly reasonable lengths.

Heavy Metal people therefore similarly signify that they're not just regular dudes that work at K-mart when they pick up the guitars. Regardless of whether that seems juvenile or escapist (and Heavy Metal often is), it augments the aesthetic of the music they put out. It's on the same wavelength as Heavy Metal covers being what they are, the lyrics dealing with what they do, the band photos being what they are and so on. It's not dishonest, it's an attempt to carry the aesthetic concept to fairly reasonable lengths.

mortiis.jpeg

I just had to throw that up here because, well, with an image of Mortiis, and his nose, flying around it just seems easier to argue against such things. :D

There's really isn't going to be a "I'm right, you're wrong" resolution to this. I see what you're saying, and something like Lost Horizon is acceptable to me. Yes, costumes and funny names, but it's right there with the album, real names. Here are the people and this is what they're doing. But when the phenomenon of pseudonyms is ubiquitous in one corner of the metal world and fairly rare elsewhere... I don't think people are taking their funny names as an artistic statement as much as just doing it because that's what is done. When Peccatum landed in the world and the one guy with an established funny name teamed up with his wife and brother-in-law who got funny names of their own, we've gone past the line.

I'm all for a bit of separation between fan and artist, but when the two do interact and the fan is still talking to an artistic concept and not a human being, something is wrong.

Jim LotFP said:
I'm all for a bit of separation between fan and artist, but when the two do interact and the fan is still talking to an artistic concept and not a human being, something is wrong.
Man...I am going to have a lot to say about this and related issues. But people are going to have to pay good money for it. :)

The most interesting aspect of the band that inspired this thread is that Blake Judd made a conscientious effort to put the Azentrius alias to rest last year when Nachtmystium's profile in the press was raised to new heights. It has happened before and has more to say about the media than the bands/artists who are dropping aliases.

Edited for clarity.

I just had to throw that up here because, well, with an image of Mortiis, and his nose, flying around it just seems easier to argue against such things.

Hehe, besides the case that I find Mortiis deathly boring, I have absolutely no problem with his pointy nose and short batman cape. With my blessing, may he traverse the astral realm.

There's really isn't going to be a "I'm right, you're wrong" resolution to this.

No worries. I'm just trying to promote discussion, because 'Scum' is very in your face ideologically, and I for one do not want to subordinate to the domination though I agree with lots and lots of it. I want such a Heavy Metal value system be constantly inspected and evolving.

ubiquitous in one corner of the metal world and fairly rare elsewhere

Actually, is this an informed statement? Have you checked out the electronica scene? Half of the artists work under aliases. Same in the gothic 'scene (Andrew Eldritch from Sisters of Mercy? Sopor Aeternus' guy/girl?)... in fact a vast majority of what look like 'real' names in music are also aliases. People make shit up even when it's not so apparent as the 'necrovorious butcherson' variety we get in metal.

I don't think people are taking their funny names as an artistic statement as much as just doing it because that's what is done.

That may be the case, but why 'burn the moist with the withered' as we say in greek (partaining to florae!)? I'm just saying the 'condemnation' expressed in 'Scum' on the subject is too firm a position given the number of positive exceptions.

When Peccatum landed in the world and the one guy with an established funny name teamed up with his wife and brother-in-law who got funny names of their own, we've gone past the line.

I think if Peccatum had put out anything remotely worthwhile under their silly aliases we'd be talking a different case. Pseudonyms are easy to ridicule when we're talking about bad art by bad artists. Then you hear say, Ved Buens Ende and you wouldn't change a thing about them.

Good Heavy Metal transcends ridiculousness!

Well to this I totally agree, but it's besides the point of aliases. That's a failing of musicians to be honest and human.

Blake Judd made a conscientious effort to put the Azentrius alias to rest last year when Nachtmystium's profile in the press was raised to new heights. It has happened before and has more to say about the media than the bands/artists who are dropping aliases.

Actually he got sick of the older boys calling him Ass-entrance.

I have plenty to say about pseudonyms, and so do a ton of movie actors, musicians of all genres, and a lot of married women.

Professor Black said:
Actually he got sick of the older boys calling him Ass-entrance.
You've got to be careful. There was a kid when I was growing up named C.C., but people called him Feces every once in awhile. It didn't help matters that he would get in your face and his breath could be less than fragrant.

Somebody will find something to make out of your name if there is an angle to be exploited.

Sometimes a pseudonym is just a pseudonym, but there are many that tell tales and illuminate other things. Samuel Clemens' is one which speaks volumes about the man's career and work.

I do think it a choice that needs to be honored and respected unless it is undertaken to hide something very unseemly or just something utterly foolish and forced.

Actually, is this an informed statement? Have you checked out the electronica scene?

oh lord no. I was talking about the metal scene. " ubiquitous in one corner of the metal world and fairly rare elsewhere in the metal world" is what I meant. What happens outside, pfffffft. If I cared at all, I'd be as obsessive with those genres too, and I just don't have the time or the energy.

in fact a vast majority of what look like 'real' names in music are also aliases.

Yeah, I don't understand this at all. Looking through the King Diamond lineups, past and present... why?

Good Heavy Metal transcends ridiculousness!

... and the less ridiculousness there is, the easier it is for metal to be transcendent. I really don't think anything would have been different, musically (and probably not in any other way either), if the Venom guys, Quorthon, King Diamond, and Trey Azagthoth had used their real frickin names.

I have plenty to say about pseudonyms

Then say it!

Yeah, I don't understand this at all. Looking through the King Diamond lineups, past and present... why?

No idea. I enjoy fancy pseudonyms. The only reason I can think of a Danish person americanifying his name for credits is that he's ashamed of his name sounding Danish, which is ridiculous.

.. and the less ridiculousness there is, the easier it is for metal to be transcendent.

what what what?! I think this is another of these life-giving contradictions that are inherent in Heavy Metal. I'm not saying all-out-manowarisms are in order, but one has to realize that a degree of otherwordliness and detachment from... realism and normalcy is to be expected by every good Heavy Metal band. This isn't punk rock!

As long as the ridiculousness is ofsetted by something real.

No idea. I enjoy fancy pseudonyms. The only reason I can think of a Danish person americanifying his name for credits is that he's ashamed of his name sounding Danish, which is ridiculous.

Perhaps in the early 80s there was some real need for such a thing. *shrug* Can't imagine anyone's name being a problem when the guy fronting the band is wearing makeup and screaming about Satan. :)

Better example: Labyrinth and their "Olaf Thorsen" disease.

what what what?! I think this is another of these life-giving contradictions that are inherent in Heavy Metal. I'm not saying all-out-manowarisms are in order, but one has to realize that a degree of otherwordliness and detachment from... realism and normalcy is to be expected by every good Heavy Metal band. This isn't punk rock!

No, it's an offshoot of punk rock. :p

Musicians are people. That's all. They'll never be more. If they do great work, then they become great because of it, to those of us who appreciate it. In the context of their work, they can push to be something else and engage in this otherworldliness and detachment from reality all the want (although the farther out they go, the tougher it is to keep it all together...). But there's this line of... cheese... I love Blind Guardian, for instance, and there's the whole example of what Imaginations from the Other Side is saying. Yes, orcs and goblins and Stephen King and all that, but they're grounded without compromising their actual art. Compare them to Battlelore who are (were?) all about Tolkien and decided it was a great idea to go all LARPy. Fuckin' dorks - and they're using (at least what could pass as) their real names!

I am enjoying the mental image of a line of... cheese...

Well yes the fantasy and otherworldliness and all is only enduringly strong when it's a metaphore for something vibrant and real. See Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian for the absolute pinnacle of this in my opinion.

I'd say even Imaginations falls a bit short of this premise, really. Too escapist. But it has its moments.

Meh. If you are kult how could you use your christian name?!

I don't give a damn what people want to call themslves. I could call myself ZüüL if I wanted to. Say I don't like the name my parents gave me. I can do what I want. You can call me fuckhead if you want!

Now I'll go back to listening to Turbonegro. This band kicks ass btw.

I mean, in the last few months alone I've encountered aliases as strikingly brilliant as "Evillair" and "Count Gothmog"

I think you should have been prepared for this sort of thing when you started a Black Metal blog. I'm far more tolerant of this side of BM than the hideous 'intelligent black metal' (if there ever was an asinine genre name) with all the real names you can shake a stick at.

'intelligent Black Metal' seems to be the Metal Hammer GR term for Post-Black Metal on the internets. I prefer it because it speaks far clearer of the actual schizoid admiration/contempt the Black Metal reviewers seem to hold about their genre, but 'Post Black Metal' isn't much different.

"Now that Thorns put out a record we don't have to be ashamed of listening to Black Metal anymore! Listen! They sampled Robocop!! POST!"

Intelligent Gore Grind? You mean Cadaveric Decomposition?

No lyrics & no vocal effects used on this recording.

WTF is Post Black Metal???!?!

The word 'post' is the stupidest term ever introduced into musical genres. It means NOTHING!

Actually since Nothing has recently been given a revamp (therefore now there exists the retronothing and the nunothing) I guess we're now waiting for the post-Nothing record to come out.

There's a long history of people involved in extreme movements in art and politics operating under evocative pseudonyms, particularly in Europe, which is the context it in which it first appeared in black metal. Now it's sort of a tradition, maybe a little silly at this point, but no sillier than say, long hair or any of the other imagery affected by most metal bands.