nicknames!

gnoff

popped up in my brain once when I needed a name for a warrior playing an RPG at about 1991, then started using it when the network shoot-em-up games were popular, and then when the internet really kicked off for me in -96 started using it as my nick there as well.

Was also the nick ppl called me during college and something I have now added legally to my name, so have it on my driver's licence and all.

Well all I am is "blood and organs", bones and skin too, hair as well and other attributes but "blood and organs" was more catch than any other phrase I could think of at the time.

Some friends and I would usually gather on weekends around fire or candles sit by a little lake and drink beer with swords and axes by our sides. In a viking fashion we called ouselves the black horde and all chose a horde name mine came as Belgar Icehammer. Being from Belgium, I chose Belgar in salute to the old belgian northern tribe Belgae.

spaffe said:
haha awesome :D
so you've now got it as a middle-name?

Yes I do :)
I could have changed it, so it would be my first name, but thought ahead a little and realized it might be a "slight" dissadvantage say for when looking for new jobs and such...
Most ppl don't believe me until I show them my drivers license though :p

Patric said:
Yeah, and how much does that cost?

Oh it's free the first time.
If you want to do it again you need to pay 600 SEK each time, and it's not sure you're gonna get it.

The first time you send in a form to "skattemyndigheten" and apply for it.
If this does not go through or if you want to change or add names again after the first time, you will need to apply for it at "patent och registreringsverket" and each time you apply it will cost you 600 SEK.

I used to have this form on my computer, but right now I'm using an old one and even though I get my new one today I will not have time to find that document until maybe the end of July, since I'l be travelling so much.

But just go to:
http://www.rsv.se/skatter/skattetabeller/index.html

and search for:
namnbyte

and you'll have a bunch of stuff to read about how it works, you should also be able to find the pdf file to download if you want to do this.

It's that easy? Only 600 bucks? That's beautiful, man. I'll have to check that out. See, I've thought about adding an Italian or Polish middle name.

Haha no I'll settle for something much more elegant than that, or at least elegant enough for people to ask "are you really Swedish?" Radovich, anyone? Hehe..

Patric said:
It's that easy? Only 600 bucks? That's beautiful, man. I'll have to check that out. See, I've thought about adding an Italian or Polish middle name.

Yup, very easy.
Did you find the form I was talking about?

Was out boozing last night and am going to Stockholm in a few hours, luckily by plane, but I'm not feeling so good...

spaffe said:
hm... i recognize that name but i can't quite remember where i've heard it or who that guy is...
enlighten me o great dane/swede *mischievous smile*

Haha, this Spaketh the Danskjävel:
Radovich is no less than my aunt's ex.boyfriend :cool: Brutal guy, a real non-conformist. Whom where you thinking of?

Patric said:
Haha, this Spaketh the Danskjävel:
Radovich is no less than my aunt's ex.boyfriend :cool: Brutal guy, a real non-conformist. Whom where you thinking of?

uhm... not sure :) when i hear the name Radovich i get a picture of some bosnian war criminal in my head, or perhaps some ruthless secret polce officer of the former eastern communist states... don't ask me why, i thought my associations where somewhat accurate, but perhaps it's not at all :)

edit: whie, my 1000th post
smile2.gif

I don't know if many Bosnian's go by this name, the Radovich we had in our family was Yugoslavia, or at least his parents were. But a lot of names from Eastern Europe and Italy are wicked so I'm still searching...

hmm...well...I invented my name myself. I like dragons very much and a real stupid situation in the past denounced me as "cursed"...so i put the pieces together and cursed dragon was born *g*

when i was first signing up at hotmail so long ago, it seems that all the names i tried were taken.
i cant really remember what i tried besides einherjar, yggdrasil, and grottekvarnen, and maybe some in flames songs (back then i was into them and hadnt even heard of amon amarth) like starforsaken and wayfaerer... and hargalaten.
i really liked it and the name, cos it sounds cool i guess.
unless ive been told wrong, its a traditional swedish song, but other than that i dont know.

but grottekvarnen is still my favorite. its the one i use off the internet, in music. well, also in msn chat, but i aint been there in years.
it was the name of the mill that odhinn and the others made to grind ymir's corpse (meaning the axis of the earth).
(if youre kinda lost on ymir go look up some norse mythology).
so basically, "grottekvarnen" is old norse "corpsegrinder".

Here is a short text about Hårgalåten, in Swenglish. Yep, it's a traditional song :)

Also, when I'm at it writing, I can point out that "grottekvarnen" can act as a metaphor for something tedious, i.e. "returning to grottekvarnen" can mean going back to work after a short break for coffee et.c..