False Metal: The Financial and Farcical Return of Heavy Metal

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Its an interesting write-up so far, By Dave Burns of Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I haven't finished, and will probably post again with my thoughts and opinions. I think a lot of people here will find this worthwhile to read, even if you strongly disagree with what he is saying.

http://www.lotfp.com/backissues/FalseMetal.pdf

I don't agree with LotFP all the time, but I admire the fact that people are honestly examining the issues that they do. Also, points for bringing Decibel underfire. I checked out the first few issues of Decibel, but their snide tone towards "traditional metal" turned me off. Then again, they also wrote some pretty funny stuff about nu-metal too...now that it's safe to do so.

http://www.lotfp.com/content.php?editorialid=38

touches on some similar issues.

I'm still thinking it over. I think he was offtrack about Avenged Sevenfold... as a part of the reason for their change away from core, was that the lead singer almost lost his voice doing the growls. So he had to cut down. And they seem to love their new style, while still playing their older songs at concerts. Their new style isn't that new in some ways either, as their older songs had a lot of good guitar mixed in. Plus, two of the guys have a 2002 album out from their band Pinkly Smooth that is funk-prog-metal. So..

Also, calling something 'false' doesn't make it 'bad.'

I guess my primary issue when reading this (and I do like both articles. Very well written, and very well thought out), is that there wasn't enough of a discussion of the seperation of a metal genre, defined by a style, or elements in music, and metal as a more musical/social movement. There are many groups out there that we call metal, that have nothing in common with Black Sabbath, but are certainly still metal. Perhaps it is their 'loudness' and uncompromising nature, that seperate them from rock... or even just art/progressive rock, free jazz, etc. I think that metal is more than just a musical/social movement, and therefore what might be 'true' or 'false' could lose some relevance.

In the end, we are of course supposed to identify what we like to listen to, and not care about anything else. We should not let the popularity of our band affect our enjoyment of the band. We should not think of it as a travesty that our band isn't more popular. We surely can hope that a band we enjoy earn money, but is that really important? I love ProgPower because it brings in new groups that I otherwise never would have a chance to see. I don't believe that ProgPower is a lucrative business offer for these bands. ProgPower, to me, is a celebration of -metal- and talented metallic artists. While it certaintly can act as a gateway to the American metal audience, solid, devoted, and refreshing live performances is the only real way to break in and to develop a dedicated fan base that will support you as long as you stay honest to them.

Ruthven said:
I've always thought that Avenged Sevenfold was a metal band anyway.

I seriously hope you were joking.
I could care less if people like Avenged Sevenfold.
What pisses me off is that the band states that "Everything they do has always been about metal"

Yeah, and that's why they came up in the punk scene?

This band displays the true meaning of the word "POSER"
Let's face it, it is trendy to be metal these days so they are going for that angle.

They are WARPED TOUR veterans. Never before did they ever try to associate anything with metal.

Jasonic said:
What pisses me off is that the band states that "Everything they do has always been about metal"

Let's face it, it is trendy to be metal these days so they are going for that angle.

They are WARPED TOUR veterans. Never before did they ever try to associate anything with metal.
For the win!

Ruthven said:
I've always thought that Avenged Sevenfold was a metal band anyway.
I'm only familiar with last album 'City of Evil', but that one is definitely what I call 'metal'. Whatever anyone else chooses to call them is up to them. I don't really get caught up in the bullshit of what something is called, or what genre it is filed under. If I like it - I'll listen to it...that's all that matters to me.

Jasonic said:

Well, I don't think been Warped Tour veterans will mean anything. Let's take for example Suicidal Tendencies. They came up from the California scene as a punk band, and then turned into a thrash metal act at the end of the 80's. They're music during that era had all the elements you could ask for: aggression, speed, good guitar leads ( when Rocky George was the axeman). Even though they went back to their punk-hardcore roots, they left great metal albums. Check out the albums: How Will I Laugh Tomorrow and Lights, Camera, Revolution. They are also Warped Tour vets, but they keep playing their thrash stuff.
About Avenged Sevenfold, I haven't heard their first stuff yet. Their new effort doesn't really interest me that much.

High Speed Kurt said:
Dear God, is it necessary to dedicate 70 pages to debating whether Avenged Sevenfold is "metal" This guy seems to have a lot of free time, or maybe mom locked him in the basement or something.

Get off your high horses..

Its not 70 pages about that. And I don't think he's just being a metal elitist. I th ink he has concerns about the music that he enjoys, and what is happening to it, particularly with the fact that metal is being more 'commercial' now. Personally, as long as there is music out there that I enjoy, I'll be happy. Also, I'm glad there is some more money being poured into metal, its increasing the quality of the recordings, and allowing some groups to experiment more, with better equipment, orchestras (instead of cheap keyboards), and the like.

And I wish metal fans and anti-metal fans were beyond the 'go back to your mom's basement' *puff puff*