Fatboy \m/

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Well this Zilla Fatboy is a thing of beauty.
I cannot believe the quality of the construction and finish on this.
Going to break it in with some loud clean guitar for a few hours then try it out under a mic.
It has a V30 and a H Creamback.
Demo clip to follow
IMG_2131.JPG

Reactions: ~BURNY~
It sounds so good <3
This is both speakers blended with H Creamback about 3dB lower than V30

G1 Productions has a 5150 iii Kemper pack with a Fatboy 2X12- I can't play anything else now. The low end is so controlled and the mids are so smooth. Makes rectifier cabs sound like string cheese through a garbage can.

Is this a new build one? Is it closed back or 3 piece? Does it have 4x12 style side handles or have you gone for a closed box with a handle on top like a Mesa 2x12?

I had an old Super Fat Boy I bought used several years ago with 3 piece back that didn't hold it together with high volume and a Rectifier (high volume palm mutes literally made the back panel physically and audibly vibrate). But I've not seen any similar complaints on newer ones, and they look great.

Interestingly I tried a H75 and Mesa V30 mix in one of my Recto cabs and didn't like it at all - felt like the highs on the two speakers were too far apart as far as voicings go. I get the feeling the H75 must blend better with a normal V30, tone in the clip sounds good.

Is this a new build one? Is it closed back or 3 piece? Does it have 4x12 style side handles or have you gone for a closed box with a handle on top like a Mesa 2x12?

I had an old Super Fat Boy I bought used several years ago with 3 piece back that didn't hold it together with high volume and a Rectifier (high volume palm mutes literally made the back panel physically and audibly vibrate). But I've not seen any similar complaints on newer ones, and they look great.

Interestingly I tried a H75 and Mesa V30 mix in one of my Recto cabs and didn't like it at all - felt like the highs on the two speakers were too far apart as far as voicings go. I get the feeling the H75 must blend better with a normal V30, tone in the clip sounds good.

Brand new. Just arrived yesterday.
Full back panel with top and (4x12 style) side handles.
I was talking to Nolly and he recommended the standard fatboy over the super.
I ran the 6505 with volume at over 2 and it was super tight. No vibration whatsoever.
The Mesa V30 is much darker in the high mids than the regular V30 so I would think the high end would be a bit out of balance when combined with the creamback.
In the fatboy, they balance beautifully as you can hear.
With the fatboy and my Bogner 212c, I think I actually prefer the tightness of a good quality 2x12 than my 4x12 cabs.
I might grab a creamback to replace one of the V30s in the Bogner too. I just love the way they blend and fill each others frequency gaps.

Interesting to hear that some of you prefer some 2x12s over a 4x12. Some of my favourite tones ever were those Ola got with his Roadster 2x12 back in the day.

Brand new. Just arrived yesterday.
Full back panel with top and (4x12 style) side handles.
I was talking to Nolly and he recommended the standard fatboy over the super.
I ran the 6505 with volume at over 2 and it was super tight. No vibration whatsoever.
The Mesa V30 is much darker in the high mids than the regular V30 so I would think the high end would be a bit out of balance when combined with the creamback.
In the fatboy, they balance beautifully as you can hear.
With the fatboy and my Bogner 212c, I think I actually prefer the tightness of a good quality 2x12 than my 4x12 cabs.
I might grab a creamback to replace one of the V30s in the Bogner too. I just love the way they blend and fill each others frequency gaps.

Thanks. I also really like 2x12s, my favourite so far is the Recto 2x12. I genuinely prefer it to the oversize 4x12 having had both.

My bandmate isn't getting any bites on his Laney TT412 that make it worth selling as a whole. Its V30 loaded, so the other option is to just rehouse the speakers in a pair of 2x12s, with an obvious choice being fatboys.

Thanks. I also really like 2x12s, my favourite so far is the Recto 2x12. I genuinely prefer it to the oversize 4x12 having had both.

My bandmate isn't getting any bites on his Laney TT412 that make it worth selling as a whole. Its V30 loaded, so the other option is to just rehouse the speakers in a pair of 2x12s, with an obvious choice being fatboys.
Brilliant idea.
Buy 2 unloaded fatboy cabs and put the v30 speakers in. Win :)
Although the blend of v30 and h cream back has blown me away. They each have what is missing from the other.
Mail Paul and see if he will do a deal for 2. Mention my name to him ;-)