Favorite 1-2 Punch

J. is an Orchid fanboi.

Impromptu 4 A.M. ranking (subject to change on the morrow)

1. Morningrise
2. Deliverance
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Ghost Reveries
5. Orchid
6. Still Life
7. Blackwater Park

And I bet Peter used to get really tired of Akerfeldt's crap.

They had something special and unique with 1st two. Then they kicked out the Bass Jedi and it all fell down

Haha, I actually think they sounded LESS unique on those two albums. So many bands did the same "Iron Maiden guitars"-thing back then, and that's also why they changed the sound on MAYH pretty much. They aren't bad albums by any means, but I feel they really came into their own with the third one.

I can imagine that people who are more into black metal enjoy the first two better than the other ones though. Me being more of a death metal dude definitely enjoy the more riff-y sound they got into after that.

It's kinda the same with Agalloch for me; I don't really see why everyone's keep talking about The Mantle when Ashes Against the Grain is a much better album (imo).

It's kinda the same with Agalloch for me; I don't really see why everyone's keep talking about The Mantle when Ashes Against the Grain is a much better album (imo).

GTFOoRC (j/k we need you)

I talked to someone recently who called Morningrise a derivative melodeath album. I was kind of caught off guard by that because despite the twin guitar stuff I've never really thought of that record as a melodeath album. There were certainly influences from black metal, progressive, and folk along with those unusual song structures and more widespread and effective use of acoustics and clean vocals than most melodeath I'm familiar with from that time. What do you think?

I want to know what bands Orchid and Morningrise sound like exactly, if they are less unique and derivative. Not to be cause debate but because I want to check them out.

And no dont go to Metal Archives and hit 'similar artists" because none of those bands (at least the ones ive heard) sound like that. None combine the mystical atmosphere and throw in 20 different riffs that piece together perfectly.

Reactions: SonOfNun
One of my fav bands (Headless Chickens) has a discography almost too messy for this thread. There are 2 versions of their 2nd album Body Blow, with the 2nd removing 2 songs and adding 4 new ones. The new ones are a major part of what makes it an all-time fav album for me. So the 1-2 punch for me has to be the 2nd version of Body Blow followed by their 3rd album Greedy, which adds a few more of my fav tunes of theirs.

I imagine most fans would go with their debut album Stunt Clown and the 1st version of Body Blow if they had to, as that covers more of their highly respected tracks. Their debut is great too, but half of my fav songs on that actually come from the tracks of their debut EP which was appended to the CD & cassette versions but not the vinyl.

I'd highly recommend checking out Dreichmere:
https://dreichmere.bandcamp.com/music

This is not bad at all---derivative sure but that 2015 album especially is fun if you like orchid/mornigrise (riffing style, acoustics, bass, harsh vox dead ringer) ---solid recommendation! When it comes to bands that sound like that opeth sound, I think some of the early Novembre albums definitely have a similar riffing style--

Anyway, some metal ones (tried to not do debut/sophomore)

Amorphis: Tales from a thousand lakes/Elegy
Katatonia:LFDGD/Viva Emptiness
Unholy: Rapture/Gracefallen
Isis: Oceanic/Panopticon
Abigor: Nachthymnen/Opus IV
Neurosis: Through silver in blood/Times of grace
Summoning: Minas Morgul/Dol Guldor
Darkthrone: Under a funeral moon/Transylvanian Hunger

Reactions: DarkGift
This is not bad at all---derivative sure but that 2015 album especially is fun if you like orchid/mornigrise (riffing style, acoustics, bass, harsh vox dead ringer) ---solid recommendation! When it comes to bands that sound like that opeth sound, I think some of the early Novembre albums definitely have a similar riffing style--

Anyway, some metal ones (tried to not do debut/sophomore)

Amorphis: Tales from a thousand lakes/Elegy
Katatonia:LFDGD/Viva Emptiness
Unholy: Rapture/Gracefallen
Isis: Oceanic/Panopticon
Abigor: Nachthymnen/Opus IV
Neurosis: Through silver in blood/Times of grace
Summoning: Minas Morgul/Dol Guldor
Darkthrone: Under a funeral moon/Transylvanian Hunger

I need to listen to Elegy more but that Amorphis one would definitely be under consideration.

I thought about tagging you the other day and saying you're never going to get to 2,000 posts at this rate :lol:

A few more:
Behemoth: Zos Kia Cultus & Demigod
Cattle Decapitation: Monollith of Inhumanity & The Anthropocene Extinction
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper & Hate Crew Deathroll -I don't listen to these as often as I did 20 years ago but when I do it is usually 2 or 3 times in a row! :kickass:
Fear Factory - Demanufacture & Obsolete -my gateway band into metal
Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God & Blood For the Master - this band seems stuck in a rut as a capable but mediocre 2nd or even third tier death metal band, but I have a fondness for them due to seeing them perform live several times in tiny, shitty, dive bars in Vegas! They always put on a great live show :kickass:
God Dethroned: Passiondale & Under the Sign of the Iron Cross
Judas Priest: Screaming for Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith - JP has become my go to background music the last few summers when doing work around the house or enjoying a drink by the pool on the back patio.
Macabre: Sinister Slaughter & Dahmer
Overkill: Ironbound & The Electric Age - Overkill has been on fire since 2010:headbang:
Witchery: Restless and Dead & Dead, Hot and Ready