Favorite 25 Metal Bands?

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
It's been a day of farting boredom, so I thunk up my list. As usual, this tain't necessarily the TOP metal bands, just your faves (thus the reason I didn't go out of my way to include a perfect variety of styles, or list them in order of "importance," etc.). Bands like Ulver and Mayhem, who have made some of my favorite metal albums, fell short because they either a) changed styles quickly or b) quickly became shitty.

(Yes, there are probably 20 other threads just like this, but we need an updated one.)

(And yes, MOTW and TON are metal. Anyone who disagrees is being stupid.)

I put a lot of thought into this, and so should you. Why? Because shit's fun, yo.

1. Megadeth
2. Maudlin Of The Well
3. Iron Maiden
4. Type O Negative
5. Black Sabbath
6. Agalloch
7. Slayer
8. Metallica
9. Savatage
10. In The Woods...
11. Queensrÿche
12. Nokturnal Mortum
13. Bathory
14. Amorphis
15. Solitude Aeturnus
16. Darkthrone
17. Tiamat
18. Blind Guardian
19. Anathema
20. Emperor
21. Burzum
22. Sepultura
23. Fates Warning
24. Edge Of Sanity
25. Moonsorrow

HONORABLE MENTIONS (in no order): Summoning, Mayhem, Death, Opeth, Ulver, Dissection, Enslaved, Katatonia, Empyrium, Drudkh, Dark Tranquillity, Arcturus, Electric Wizard, King Diamond, Neurosis

slayer and metallica in YOUR top 10? you must be joshing me.

cool list otherwise ...

do poser bands count as metal? can you let me know before I litter my list with them.

Dude, you know my love for RIB and basically everything up to Seasons....

And of course we're talking first 4 Metallica. Classic stuff, with lots of nostalgia value for me

Yes, poseUr bands count as metal

How the heck can the first 4 Metallica albums have nostalgic value for you? Weren't you like 1-5 y/o when they came out?

Nostalgia has nothing to do with an album's release date, you know. I could be nostalgic for goddamn 11th century Catholic hymns, if I listened to them during a certain period of my life :loco:

It just aint the same brotha.

They have to be released when you can appreciate them for the full "holy fucking shit this is amazing" factor.

But doesn't that mean you're still listening to their new stuff 30 years later and proclaiming it great? ;)

Black Sabbath
Fates Warning
Zebulon Pike
Acid Bath
Orodruin
Iron Maiden
Maudlin of The Well
Cirith Ungol
Slough Feg
Hammers Of Misfortune
Solace
Neurosis
Solitude Aeturnus
Anathema
My Dying Bride
Emperor
Manilla Road
Meshuggah
YOB
Opeth
Reverend Bizarre
While Heaven Wept
Rebreather
Big Business
Pain of Salvation

I am too drunk to figure out what you mean. I do remember though hearing Battery off a obscure low level station WRTN in New Rochelle NY prior to MoP release. Headphones on. 2am. And thinking: HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I am pretty sure I pulled my pud afterwrds.

BLIND GUARDIAN - Somewhere Far Beyond is such a sweet album. Dunno why it took me 14 years to realize how dope this band is (though I've always dug NIME)

Iron Maiden
Destroyer 666
Morbid Angel
Emperor
Bathory
Napalm Death
Testament
Mayhem
Danzig
Carcass
Judas Priest
Goat Horn