Favorite and Least Favorite Vocalists?

Lamb Of God not metalcore? :confused: New American Gospel is packed with hardcore riffing and breakdowns, not to mention the imagery and themes. The line between groove metal and metalcore is so thin it hardly needs to exist anyway, as both are modernish punk/metal hybrids. Remember, metalcore is a broad term that often includes bands combining metal (usually thrash/groove) with modern hardcore (and subgenres of this such as emo). Which is why Lamb Of God doesn't have to sound like every other metalcore band.

Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
King Diamond
Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Michael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Messiah Marcolin (Candlemass)
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Eric Adams (Manowar)

Lamb Of God not metalcore? :confused: New American Gospel is packed with hardcore riffing and breakdowns, not to mention the imagery and themes. The line between groove metal and metalcore is so thin it hardly needs to exist anyway, as both are modernish punk/metal hybrids. Remember, metalcore is a broad term that often includes bands combining metal (usually thrash/groove) with modern hardcore (and subgenres of this such as emo). Which is why Lamb Of God doesn't have to sound like every other metalcore band.

I've never heard any metalcore with emo influence to be quite honest (if you know of any please do let me know), and I've found that Gothenburg melo-death is a more prominent influence than thrash/groove.

I've never heard any metalcore with emo influence to be quite honest (if you know of any please do let me know), and I've found that Gothenburg melo-death is a more prominent influence than thrash/groove.
Norma Jean? Whether one influence is more common than another isn't what I was getting at, just that there are a number of combinations that lead to metalcore - a screamo/Gothenburg band won't sound much like a groove/hardcore band, but both are metalcore.

Hmm, Norma Jean don't really have much that reminds me of emo, they've got the whole "play to have kids mosh" sound going on instead of the "Lets be as intense as fucking possible and fight against callousness" sound that emo has.

But yeah I know the point you were going for - I made a similar point earlier.

Hmm, Norma Jean don't really have much that reminds me of emo, they've got the whole "play to have kids mosh" sound going on instead of the "Lets be as intense as fucking possible and fight against callousness" sound that emo has.

But yeah I know the point you were going for - I made a similar point earlier.

I have a feeling that he has no idea what emo really is and still thinks that emo means trash like my chemical romance and fall out boy

I have a feeling that he has no idea what emo really is and still thinks that emo means trash like my chemical romance and fall out boy
No, I understand it to be trash like Sunny Day Real Estate (etc.) actually. I'm not calling Norma Jean emo influenced because of what they sound like to me (although my lack of familiarity with the genre means that I automatically associate the vocal style they use with emo), but because I have often heard that they have screamo characteristics and influence in their music. I certainly don't have the desire to go through the pain that researching this possibility further would require.

They really arent. Listen to Stutterfly, As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine, etc, then listen to Lamb Of God and tell me if they are alike. Ill do it for you, they arent. Lamb Of God, can actually be considered a mixture of Death and Thrash, but because they are popular 'real' metalheads have to put them down and say they're metalcore, or some other mainstream genre.

They sound very metalcore to me... the screamo vocals; the chuga-chuga guitar riffs.

I need to update my sig, put Ildjarn in there.

But I like a few SF songs. I am a sucker for catchy, well written songs.

No, I understand it to be trash like Sunny Day Real Estate (etc.) actually. I'm not calling Norma Jean emo influenced because of what they sound like to me (although my lack of familiarity with the genre means that I automatically associate the vocal style they use with emo), but because I have often heard that they have screamo characteristics and influence in their music. I certainly don't have the desire to go through the pain that researching this possibility further would require.

Eh, Sunny Day Real Estate (while an awesome fucking band) are not what I would say to characterize the emo sound - they take influence from the emo scene but really it is more of the group of Midwestern bands that played indie rock influenced by the emo scene.

myspace.com/ritesofspringmusic
myspace.com/cityofcaterpillar
myspace.com/1000travels
myspace.com/thefallofbosskoala

This'll give you a better example of what emo is - and if W&W happens to come along here he can give you a better explaination.