Favorite band, Power metal band and Prog metal band

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
Just curious! Sometimes our favorite band is not even a Progpower band. For me, Metallica has always been my favorite band. Helloween is my favorite Power metal band (Time of the Oath for me is the quintessential PM album) and Rush is my favorite Prog band, although for Prog Metal I'll go with Vanden Plas, with Threshold coming behind.

Favorite overall band is STYX

Favorite power metal I have to think Kamelot

Favorite prog metal Fates Warning

This is taking into account their entire body of work and not just a couple of good albums or a good era.

Favorite overall band is STYX

Ah, the gateway band that brought me to metal. Was a HUGE Styx fan in Jr. High and High School - and the local radio station in Spokane, WA that played the most Styx also happened to play a lot of Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Dio, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, etc..

Funny, there's a bit at the end of Need's "Orvam" that reminds me of an early 70's era Styx song, but haven't been able to figure out which one.

Favorite band : IRON MAIDEN

Favorite power metal band: HELLOWEEN

Favorite prog metal band: SHADOW GALLERY

Favorite overall artist : ROB HALFORD. Words cannot describe what this man's voice and music have meant to me in my life.

Favorite band: Judas Priest (though really, pretty much anything Halford has done would be my favorite)
Power Metal: Helloween
Prog: Devin Townsend

all time - Metallica but I am listening to them less and less.
Second all time - Pretty Maids and Saviour Machine(toss up)
Current fav. -Unisonic, Dark Tranquillity, Wolfheart, Amon Amarth
Power Metal all time Fav. - Overkill(for me they are power metal not thrash). Second all time Fav. - Hammerfall
Prog Metal - Dream Theater

I am a "picky" prog fan.

Most Prog Bands I really don´t like much, on the other hand, I am a "wore" Power, thrash and melodic death metal fan. I like almost everything

Power Metal: Twilightning
Prog: A tough fight between a lot of bands, but I'd say for the old guard Pain of Salvation, and for up and comers, Disperse.
Overall: Either Periphery or Soilwork. I'm rarely distinctly not in the mood for either and they're both phenomenal.