Favorite band, Power metal band and Prog metal band

Overall - Extreme and Dream Theater
Power Metal - Helloween
Prog Metal- Symphony X

Good call on all of these; this is pretty close to what I would put too.

Prog Metal - Dream Theater (with Vanden Plas and Threshold close behind)

Power Metal - probably Nightwish and Helloween right now..... This would have been Angra, but the last couple albums have done very little for me.

Overall - Both of the above, plus some 80's rock/metal like Extreme, Saigon Kick, and Lillian Axe.

Favorite overall: Toto
Favorite Prog: Circus Maximus

A favorite power metal band doesn't really immediately pop to mind. They're usually fun to watch live but I get bored listening to it otherwise. So based on progpower performances, my favorite power metal band would be either Serenity, Sabaton or Primal Fear.

Fixed. ;)
Also, I didn't see anyone else mention Springsteen on this thread. Who's the other fan besides me (and gilpdawg)?

Despite just entering my 30s, Springsteen truly is my favorite artist of all time. Been a fan since I was 5 years old and he was the first large arena concert I ever saw (when I was 9 my aunt and uncle took me and my older sister) and I've seen him twice since then. I own every one of his studio albums on CD, most of his older catalog on vinyl, every official DVD he's put out, loads of live bootleg DVDs and CDs, and all of his authorized biographies, plus various other clothing and pieces of rock memorabilia. That's more than I can say about any metal artist I've ever been invested in, except maybe Doro.

It's more shock than anything. I actually met a ProgPower fan at a Springsteen concert once and remember thinking what are the odds? I wore my Pain of Salvation shirt as a joke, I didn't think anyone there would actually name them. So to see someone post about him in this thread reminds me of that.

This is a fun thread. People are always listing favorite discs/discs-of-the-year and the like. But it get's tougher when you have to narrow it all down to one (or two...or three) bands that take the crown. Me? I'd have to add a few genres.

Prog Rock - 1) Kansas 2) Spock's Beard 3) Subsignal

Prog Metal - 1) Symphony X 2) Redemption 3) Withem (This was the toughest category to call...too many great bands here to narrow it to just three.)

Power Metal - 1) Primal Fear 2) Kamelot 3) Mystic Prophecy (This was the second toughest call...again so many killer bands.)

AOR/Melodic Hard Rock - 1) Find Me 2) Newman 3) Eden's Curse

Trad Metal - 1) Hell (Comeback band of the century!) 2) Accept (Comeback band of the century deux!) 3) King Diamond (Coming back from triple bypass...yowzah!)

Thrash Metal - 1) Evile 2) Savage Messiah 3) Testament

So many other great bands.

It's more shock than anything. I actually met a ProgPower fan at a Springsteen concert once and remember thinking what are the odds? I wore my Pain of Salvation shirt as a joke, I didn't think anyone there would actually name them. So to see someone post about him in this thread reminds me of that.

That's actually really cool! I love wearing "out of place" band tees (or just tees from lesser known bands) to bigger concerts just to see what other fans with diverse tastes that I might meet. It's cool when others do the same. I've met some interesting people and made some new friends that way.

Favorite overall: Rush or Triumph, depending on the day
Favorite power metal: Blind Guardian
Favorite progressive metal: Savatage (all of it)
Favorite thrash metal: Havok
Favorite hair/melodic metal: The Poodles
Favorite traditional/NWOBHM metal: Iron Maiden or Accept (Tornilo era - blasphemy!)