Favorite classical song and/or composer?

Metalman7983 said:
if you dont believe me about how evil you can make C major sound just buy a cd with that symphony or download it and you will completely understand

That is really weird. It has the major part, but everything else over the top is minor, so its both major and minor at the same time depending on which layer you're listening to. lol. I really like it.

Bach is the number one.
Chopin is brilliant (didn't anyone mention him??), especially his waltzes and Fantaisie Impromptu.
The third would be Arvo Pärt, listen to Missa Sillabica, for example. This is the most melancholic stuff I've ever heard.
Händel has some brilliant pieces, and so do many other composers.

I had this conversation with my Music Theory teacher today. Does Michael Pinella deserve to be ranked among the greats? I'm actually undecided on this issue.

Mozart's Laudate Dominium. The most beautiful song ever written.
Verdi's Requiem
Mussorgsky's Great Gate of Kiev and Night on Bald Mountain
Vivaldi's The Four Seasons

For me, when it comes to classical either I really like it or I don't like it at all.

ptah knemu said:
I had this conversation with my Music Theory teacher today. Does Michael Pinella deserve to be ranked among the greats? I'm actually undecided on this issue.

he only has one solo cd worth of all original material (at least released to the public) and of course him and romeo co-wrote symphony x's material, but in terms of being ranked with the greats, I would saw he needs a lot more original composition to his credit. I love this solo cd though. he is definately one of the greatest amoung prog/neo-classical metal no doubt

Has anyone heard of Kaikhosru Sorabji??? He has a song called Opus Clavicembalisticum which goes for 4 hours. Not sure if i've mentioned it on this particular forum b4, but yeh he seems to be the craziest piano nutcase ever. There are only 2 recordings of that song and both arent that great according to the critics......and I havent heard it unfortunately :(:(. I have seen one measure of the score and its absolutely insane. More difficult than the Rach 3 as well.

Mussorsgy - A Night On a Bald Mountain
Verdi - Requiem
Dvorak - New World Symphony
Chopin - Too many to mention
Bach - Also pretty much everything
And from Beethoven and Mozart, The sonatas and symphonies, etc. lol

Eternal Dragon said:
Has anyone heard of Kaikhosru Sorabji??? He has a song called Opus Clavicembalisticum which goes for 4 hours. Not sure if i've mentioned it on this particular forum b4, but yeh he seems to be the craziest piano nutcase ever. There are only 2 recordings of that song and both arent that great according to the critics......and I havent heard it unfortunately :(:(. I have seen one measure of the score and its absolutely insane. More difficult than the Rach 3 as well.

I heve heard it and played it some parts...What a piece of shit :puke:

Another vote for Holst for Neptune, from The Planets.

As far as composers in general, I'd say Rimsky-Korsakov

you want to talk about a long song 4 hours is nothing Der Ring des Nibelungen (The ring cycle) is a series of four epic operas by Richard Wagner is usually at about 14-15 hours

The first and shortest opera, Das Rheingold(The Rhinegold), typically clocks in at two and a half hours, while the last and longest, Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods), can take up to five hours in performance.

DoomsdayZach said:
Anything that sounds like it belongs in a Rhapsody song, like Ride of the Valkyries

that's my favorite track! When I heard it in my music appreciation class I immediately thought about progressive metal and symphony x. Amazing track and I love the chromaticism wagner uses. I also enjoy the last 4 minutes of the song.

Bach's Prelude and Fugue C Minor is sweet too, romeo mastered a part of it in Dressed To Kill.

i like stravinsky and john williams. however ecently i found at that stravinsky supported musilini (if that's how you spell his name) so i dont know anymore

considering he was russian and during World War 2 he lived in the US i find it hard to believe that he supported musolini.

especially during that time when almost every russian hated the nazis which of course were allied with musolini

For a time he preserved a ring of emigré Russian friends and contacts, but eventually realized that this would not sustain his intellectual and professional life in the USA.

émigrés- an exile as a temporary expedient forced on them by political circumstances.

maybe you meant stalin?? lol